“One of the top Embassy Suites!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #88 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My husband and I have stayed in numerous Embassy Suites around the country and found this ES to be one of the best we've ever been in. (We checked in at this hotel after 4 nights at the Chicago Hilton attending a conference.) We used our Hilton Honors points to pay for 3 nights at the Embassy Suites. Previously when using the points, I've sometimes wondered if we were getting not quite as nice a room because we weren't "paying customers." With this Embassy, there was nothing to question... our room was wonderful! We had requested an upper level room with a view and we were assigned a room on one of the top floors with a beautiful city view and view of the Chicago River! The comfort in the room was superb... everything from the beds and pillows to the room temperature. Not only did the AC work, but there was also a ceiling fan! The 2 flat screen TVs and the contemporary decor were also nice. (Not all Hilton properties have upgraded yet to flat screen TVs, like the Chicago Hilton which by the way was also HOT with very poor housekeeping) Other reviewers have spoken of the crowds at breakfast... yes, that's true, but the food was very good and there was a lot of variety. There were loads of wait staff who busily kept the tables cleaned off so that it wasn't difficult to find a clean table. I loved the piano music in the background coupled with the sound of water flowing down the wall like fountain/room divider... so even though there were lots of people, the atmosphere was relaxing. Others have also spoken to the wonderful grocery store across the street, the ease in getting to Navy Pier walkiing or taking the MTA bus that comes by the hotel, The hotel is only a few blocks away from the Magnificent Mile (great shopping) or you can catch another bus to many other areas in the city. There are numerous taxis ... and you can either hail your own taxi immediately outside the hotel (street side) OR go out the other side of the lobby where taxis are lined up at the hotel auto lobby and the doorman will have a taxi pull up for you. The doorman was also helpful in offering to get us a towncar for transportation and telling us the slight differentce in price to take a towncar to your destination versus a taxi . And there was usually a Lincoln towncar also readily available. (EX: taxi - $18 to Briar Street Theater to see Blue Man Group or $20 to same location riding in a Lincoln Town Car. We opted for the Town Car.) The people in Chicago are very friendly and were always helpful... even the bus drivers! And the city is absolutely gorgeous with so many blooming flowers and colorful plants. But back, to the Embassy Suites. We loved this hotel and will definitely make this our hotel of choice the next time we return to Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zell
Write a ReviewReviews (3,337)

Reviewed July 29, 2009

The hotel was nice. The room was spacious & tastefully decorated. There was a good variety of food on the breakfast buffet although I thought it was a little odd that there were no bagels nor muffins. The hotel was in a good location & close to bus stops. We were able to take the bus all over the downtown area. The only negative we experienced was that all of our keys would not work when we got back to our room the first night. They gave us new room keys & told us to keep them away from any cell phones & credit cards. I've never had a hotel tell me that before. My key only worked that one time. I didn't bother getting a new key again. I kept the key in the same place in my purse that I have kept other hotel keys & this is the first hotel I've ever had a key problem. Otherwise, we had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I loved this hotel. Rooms are huge and so is the bathroom. This cleaning service was awesome. The complimentary breakfast was much better than I expected and there was plenty of food at all times. I did also liked very much teh manager's reception. You could have free drinks for two hours and also snacks! The staff was always willing to help, they sure made my stay very comfortable!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnaVeronica
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The location of this hotel is great. Located a couple blocks away from miracle Mile and the Navy Pier, there is plenty of shopping and dining opportunities. 2 grocery stories are within a block and with refrigerators and microwaves in the room, you can save a little money.

The free breakfast is great but not very accessible for wheelchairs. Service staff didn't seem to care. But that was the only example of poor service. Everything else was great.

The lack of free Internet was disappointing for the price of the hotel. Rooms are spacious and well decorated. The sky lounge is several floors up, located over a bowling alley and movie theaters but you'd never know it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank disneyfans48
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Found staff to be helpful, we checked in rather late but that did not cause any problems. Rooms were of a very good size with two queen beds and a double sofa bed in the lounge area. Very modern and clean. Excellently situated for Navy Pier and the bus for downtown stops at the back of the hotel.
Agree with other reviewers about the breakfast. As it is free, there were huge queues and although the range of foods was extensive, the food was often lukewarm. Used by many families, but this was not a problem for us with noise not being an issue.
Would be more than happy to stay there again when I go back to further explore the great city of Chicago.
If exploring the city by public transport, be sure to buy a pass, 3 days cost only $14, a real bargain.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank GarfieldScotland
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I could sleep under the stars in a sleeping bag in downtown Chicago (actually, I have....) and it would be great. With the world's greatest food and the best city skyline, anyplace is terrific. The view from my hotel room here is among the best I've seen in Chicago: Tribune building, Wrigley clock tower, Trump tower, Sears tower (or whatever its called now), BP building, University of Chicago, and the river. Wow! Awesome restaurants a short walk or cab ride away (this time we enjoyed Nacional 47, a Lettuce Entertain You salsa club). Cab was very easy to hail in front of hotel. 24 hour supermarket across the street, walking distance to lakefront, Navy Pier, Grant Park, and Michigan Ave. shopping. And it's way cheaper than the Peninsula, 4 Seasons, or the Drake.
Oh yeah, the hotel. Tall modern chic-urban Embassy Suites. Covered Valet parking for $49 extra per night was ok. Check in kiosk was broken and check-in through clerks was average at best. Elevators are fast. General motif is modern, and rooms are a little more trendy than most ES. Rooms include smoke detector, refrigerator (no freezer), table with 3 chairs, easy chair, sleeper sofa, microwave, coffee pot, and hair dryer. Although I was there with my wife and young teens, we had so much fun in the city we slept through breakfast and never got to use the pool. So I can't comment on how this would be for a relaxing hotel-based stay, but why would you want one of those in Chicago? If your significant others won't go the sleeping bag in Chicago route, this is a great second choice.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank McHenryDad
Reviewed July 1, 2009

We loved this hotel! We are huge fans of Embassy Suites anyway -- and this one didn't disappoint us. We took Amtrak into town so we didn't have to worry about the parking price -- but you will pay that price anywhere you stay downtown.

What I loved the most was the location. You are so close to things -- Dominick's (a beautiful grocery store w/a Starbucks inside), Walgreens, AMC movie theater, and a bowling alley. Also, you are within 10 to 15 minutes walking to Michigan Ave. shopping in one direction and Navy Pier the other direction.

We also enjoyed P.J. Clarke's restaurant adjacent to the hotel. At first I was disappointed that they didn't have a kids' menu. But, they had a few very kid-friendly selections on their adult menu -- cheeseburger, grilled cheese (my kids' choice -- it was superb!), pasta, etc. And, they did have crayons and a placemat to color and games to play on the back.

The staff was wonderful -- and VERY accomodating! I was also pleasantly surprised at the pool. When I looked at it on the website it looked like a true lap pool -- well, it is but wider than a single-lap lap pool. It was amazing how many kids were in that pool -- and it didn't seem like they were on top of each other. My son and I also used the fitness room and were very pleased with that.

All in all -- an excellent stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family