“Embassy Suites lakefront”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #78 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Premium access was worth it. We had access to the vending machines for free. Free WiFi access did not work however. 17th floor view was awesome. Evening reception was great and the bartenders were generous. Would have liked to see the breakfast hours extended to 11:00am.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda R
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Paid a little extra for the corner king suite and had a nice room with a fair amount of space for our two young boys to run around. The kitchenette with microwave, fridge, and bar sink were perfect for our needs. Bedroom had a vanity with mirror & sink. Ordered room service and food was good and delivered quickly (watch out for the 23% surcharge for delivery & tip). Room was clean and furniture was in good shape (tub could have been scrubbed better though). Good value for downtown Chicago although this room would be about 1/2 the price outside the city. They were also offering free in-room wifi this month and had free "beverages" in the evening and free breakfast in the morning (although we only took advantage of the wifi). I would recommend this hotel based on location, cleanliness, and value considering the location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael U
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is an excellent location for a larger family. Being able to have six in a room, the excellent breakfast and the manager's reception make for an easy experience with the family. The staff is obviously used to dealing with families as the interactions the staff had with my children was excellent but not forced.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear Valued Guest -

Thank you so much for your recent stay with us and your very gracious feedback on Trip Advisor. I just read your comments and they made my day!

On behalf of the entire team here at the hotel, we thank you for selecting us and for your vote of confidence. I am thrilled that your found the complimentary breakfast and the evening reception enjoyable and of great value to you and your family. We hope that you will make us your home-away-from-home and we will have the opportunity to serve you again!

We wish you a joyous summer and safe travels!

With warm regards,

Syed E. Hasan

Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I came with friends for a long weekend getaway. Our friends booked the hotel, so we weren't sure what to expect. The hotel design was really unique. There is a huge open lobby and you can look up and see every floor and from your floor you can see every other floor and look down straight to the lobby (it's like a giant beehive). It was awesome! We stayed in a one bedroom suite with 2 beds. It was very clean and spacious and had all of the standard amenities such as blow drier, coffee, iron, cable tv, microwave, fridge, multiple sinks, etc... The view was spectacular. Nice views of the city, some rooftop gardens and even a small water view (we were on the 15th floor). The complimentary snack machine dispenser was a really nice touch. We lost a few selections because the machine doesn't realize when it's out of something and it still deducts your freebee, but each room gets 10 items per day which is more than enough. The breakfast lines are long as some people said, but there is an option to do buffet if you don't want to wait for a custom cooked order. The food and drink selection is the biggest I've ever had at a hotel. Some items were better than others, but truthfully there is something for everyone. We also enjoyed the "happy hour" one evening where they give out free drinks and light snacks to guests (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). The two biggest issues we had were lack of exhaust fan in the bathroom and the small pool. Otherwise, we really enjoyed our stay. My husband and I wouldn't stay here on our own simply because it's more than what we need, but for a group stay it was perfect.

Room Tip: Some floors are "premium floors" with access to the free vending machines and in room Keur...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MRM1979

Dear Guest -

Thank you so much for your recent visit from Michigan! It was a pleasure having you and your husband stay with us and I sincerely appreciate the extremely detailed review of the hotel and our services. As general managers, these are the kind of hotel assessment we really like to see so thank you again so much.

I was delighted to hear that you liked the architectural style of the hotel with the vast and open atrium. I loved your description of the hotel and comparison to a bee-hive! I have never heard that before but it is quite imaginative. Thank you also for your kind comments about the complimentary breakfast and reception as well as the staff.

I understand your concern about the size of the pool but regrettably, I will not be able to do anything to fix that as you can imagine. I realize at times, especially during the summer months, we can have many guests in the pool area and it can get slightly crowded.

Thank you again for your visit and your wonderful comments. I know that you have many choices for hotels in Chicago and are glad you selected us.

We wish you all the best and safe travels!

Cordially,

Syed E. Hasan

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Spent 2 nights here on Hilton points, so probably shouldn't complain. Room was fine - typical for the chain, and we like the extra space. We were "premium" level so there was a sink and vanity in the bedroom as well as the bath, which helped with getting ready each day. Very striking lobby and glass elevators, and enough that there was rarely a wait. The concierge desk was superb and the various valet/bellmen were great. And of course, we were there in full summer - the only reason I'm dinging the rating is that the hotel surely could have done a better job handling the free breakfasts in the morning and the hors d'oeuvres in the evening. There was quite the crowd for minimal food items. We ended up ordering breakfast from room service the second morning, after seeing the overly long line. The hotel really could do something better about that - free breakfasts are one of the key draws to an Embassy Suites, in our experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichmondVaJass
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I am generally a fan of Embassy Suites and I am also a Hilton Diamond member. I have always loved the breakfast at this chain and I also like the spacious rooms. On this occasion, I came to pick up my visa from the Brazilian consulate and the location of this hotel was ideal for that purpose. It is also a great location for access to Michigan Ave. and other attractions on the Near North Side.

I arrived fairly late as my South Shore Line Train was severely delayed. Fortunately, the hotel was within easy walking distance (10 minutes) of Millennium Station. The exterior of the hotel was quite nice. It was the type in which one takes an elevator from the ground level to the reception area. The Lobby was indeed spacious, almost cavernous, and well kept. It is an atrium-style hotel with an immense central area.

When I checked in, I had to get the room rate corrected. It was only a 5% difference but for some reason, though I was quoted a AAA rate, it did not show up in their system. But we got that straightened out with relatively little hassle as I had the email to prove my rate and my card to prove my membership.

The room was nicely spacious and quite clean. The bed was comfortable and allowed for a good night's sleep. The number of TV Stations was copious and allowed plenty of choices. The WiFi worked well throughout my stay. The view from my room was quite lovely for both day and night visuals.

The major issue involving my stay occurred about one hour after check in when I had gone to bed. As I was laying there, I thought I heard the sound of the door unlocking and then I unmistakably heard it open. I yelled out "hello" as I thought a maintenance or cleaning person might not have realized the room was empty. The person who entered, sounding quite embarrassed, yelled back that they gave them the wrong key! I got a call about five minutes later from the front-desk attendant who apologized for the mix-up. This did not bother me as much as it might have others but it was still quite a nerve-wracking experience. To their credit, they apologized profusely the next day and did what they could to make it right. They cannot undo what happened but I thought they responded as well as they possibly could. What do you do after something like that occurs?

The breakfast in the morning was quite good as always though the one thing I would note is that the line for the cooked-to-order items got very long and could only move so quickly. They should probably consider putting in a second station. But I certainly enjoyed my egg white omelet as well as the fruit that I got from the small adjunct buffet.

The checkout was quick and easy and I was able to get out without any hassles. I was also able to easily and conveniently check a bag for a while at the bell desk located on the ground level. I thought it was a very good price at about $132 when all was said and done. I know the prices at this property can be a lot higher at other times.

I really stewed concerning what rating to give this hotel. I think it was basically a very good hotel but their systems obviously require some attention. Getting rates correct is clearly a necessity to avoid irritations upon check in. But the bigger thing is making sure they don't give away rooms twice. That could have been a major embarrassing and/or traumatic moment for a lot of people. Fortunately, I was in bed and out of sight from the front door and I had left the sitting room light on with some of my belongings on the desk giving evidence there was already someone in the room. When an incident like that occurs that appears to be a systematic issue either with the hotel database or personnel training (or both), it is hard to give an establishment more than an "average". In fact, some might say I was generous.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Debbie K
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The rates were quite high for the weekend that we stayed at the Embassy Suites and had hoped that meant a higher quality hotel. The rooms were fine, the check-in staff were ok and the breakfast was ok; however, serving 1200-1500 breakfasts PER DAY the weekend we were there explains that mediocrity.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family