Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #81 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Although a wonderful location in a great city, it was apparent from the time we stepped into the hotel that the culture was not one of "customer orientation." Too much to go into detail in a single review, but lets just say I would "not bother" with this hotel with many other great choices in the area. Issues ranged from not being available to assist with luggage (poor attitude); to being given a room with torn drapes and peeling wallpaper; to doormen unwilling to hail a taxi for me when it was raining cats and dogs (but happily watched as I stood out in the rain to do so). It was a humiliating situation and a situation that would never occur in 99.9% of other hotel facilities. They simply did not want to get wet, but had no problem with a person who just bought 100 rooms and conference facilities getting wet. Still cannot get over it. I did finally speak to the Assistant Manager who apologized, but I had to seek him out...no one sought me out.

Room Tip: I would of course recommend rooms on top floors facing the lake
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guest -

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel. We are terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing to you and did not fit in your expectations.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed in creating a memorable experience for you.

I am especially disappointed to hear that our doormen did not get you a cab when you needed one during the rain. This is absolutely unacceptable and I have personally reviewed with our director of operation and guest services. Our doormen work at this hotel for the sole purpose to assist guests with taxis, valet parking, unloading and loading cars regardless of the weather conditions.

Again, I am deeply regretful that we gave you a poor experience during your recent visit to Chicago! Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me directly. We would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.
Your feedback is extremely important to me as the general manager so that we can improve our customer service.

Warm regards,

Syed E. Hasan

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at Embassy Suites during a recent girls weekend! Average room. But excelled on Customer Service! When you stay there they have a complimentary buffet breakfast and a managers reception each night from 5;30 to 7:30 with drinks and snacks! We really saved money on eating out by staying here!

Room Tip: We were on the 15th floor. The only problem was I slept on the couch bed and people coming by late...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MinnesotaBwaters
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in mid September 2013 and really enjoyed our stay. Room service food was fantastic. The corner suite had a great view of Lake Michigan as well as a view of downtown. The Concierge spent several minutes helping us with in town travel arrangements. Overall I would rate our time there a 10!

Room Tip: Southeast corner was great!
Reviewed September 30, 2013

With the reduction in commercial flights, suitable travel options become real challenges. During my recent trip to Chicago, in order to get a direct flight, I arrived at the Embassy Suites several hours prior to check-in. I was greeted by Melisa at the front desk and she (i) was very professional, (ii) understood my plight, (iii) went above the call of duty by immediately contacting housekeeping and (iv) was able to accommodate my request for an extra early check-in. This may sound like a small service but for a busy traveler with limited time, it was exceptional. I was able to get off to great start with my trip and every interaction that I had in the hotel and with its staff members were great. Melissa is a real pro and should be commended. Thanks again Melissa, you are the best!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Loved this hotel, for the location and the overall experience. Terrific breakfast and evening social. Beds were so clean and comfortable. Separate living area and another TV. Microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. Everything close within walking distance. Hotel staff was excellent very accommodating. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I liked this hotel a lot. My wife did not! I liked the fact that it appears to be new and very clean. No stains anywhere. The units are true suites with two distinct rooms, a bedroom and a living room.
The bedroom has an armoire with a T.V. a sink, night stands etc. The living room also has a T.V. a sofa sleeper a chest, desk and has a nice touch, an ottoman. Also another sink, making three sinks including the bathroom. There is a microwave oven, coffee maker, refrigerator and the usual
hotel amenities.
The bathroom is a nice room and the towels were really fresh, not stringy like some hotels.
The free breakfast was the best I've ever seen, topping the Embassy Suites in Phoenix, which was the previous best! This hotel had hot and cold cereals, eggs, bacon, and the rest of the usual, but it also had a large "made to order" counter with omelets and other custom cooked items. The portions looked huge. too!
The location is very good. Approximately one quarter of a mile from Navy Pier and the same distance from the Magnificent Mile. (Michigan Avenue)
My wife's opinion was different. She will not go back! Why? She was driving and the garage was a real challenge. When you arrive, a machine gives you a parking ticket. The rate was $39.00 for 24 hours with in and out privileges a very good rate for Chicago.
However, on our way to dinner we were told what to do, to let us out of the garage, but the machine would not co-operate. The gate wouln't go up. 20 minutes later an attendant got the gate up. To say the least, my wife was exasperated1 Then the next day, after we checked out, again the gate would not let us out. The attendant said we were missing some type of ticket other than the one we had put in the machine. The night before the attendant gave us a new ticket and told us that was all we needed! We also noted that three other vehicles could not get the gates to open. (during our last exit) My wife was very upset over this.
So, in summation, I liked the experience, but my wife did not! The parking situation was dreadful. Hopefully the management will correct this parking situation by un-complicating a simple parking scenario.

Room Tip: Everybody probably knows, but the upper floors are quieter! (less street noise) The "average&qu...
1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Where do I start!! Parking is right below the hotel, with all indoor access ($39- fee, hotel can give you in&out privileges). Everything is top notch. Very clean. Fast check-in. Glass elevators offered great views. BIG rooms! Flat screen TV's. Go Premium! It includes free Wi-Fi, pop, juice, snacks... just ask at the desk for whatever you need! Efficient kitchen area. Our corner room (SE corner) had 2 windows in the bedroom and one in the front room, offering views of the lake, river and locks. Breakfast is included with all rooms and was a full buffet AND cook-to-order! We missed the free evening drinks. LOCATION! You are only a few blocks from Navy Pier, Mag Mile, river, Millennium Park... Great staff, very friendly! We did not get a chance to enjoy the pool, looked very nice although a little small; probably the right size for the number of people who actually use it. Plan ahead and book early, rates can be cheap with the same benefits!

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer the best views! There are two buildings between this hotel and Navy Pier; theref...