“Friendly, Comfortable, Value.”

Ranked #75 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Austin, Texas
“Friendly, Comfortable, Value.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had a great stay. I wasn't in a high-floor room, but I still had a great view. The front desk staff were extremely friendly. I was a little hesitant to go to the manager's reception and breakfast because there were many reviews about waiting in line. When I went, there were lines, but honestly, for free booze....I would've waited longer haha I think that the people that left reviews regarding waiting in line need a lesson in patience! The location was ideal as well. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very friendly staff. They always welcome back to the hotel and were very helpful with any questions. Rooms were nice and the location was great. We could walk to most every place we wanted to go. My only complaint is that they aren't set up very well for drinks at the Manager's special in the evening. They could use more help. Not a big deal for us, just an observation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Overall this was a good stay and I would probably come back. However, our room had a running toilet, shower drain that did not work, faucet had issues, few holes in the wall, and other issues that need addressed. If they would fix these minor issues then this hotel would be superb as I thought the staff was great and we enjoyed the free food. I do want to address several comments I have seen about the long breakfast line and first off this is a kid friendly hotel and is quite large so yes you may have to wait. But, we never had that issue and the only line we saw was for the omelets and free drinks at night and overall never had to wait for breakfast or for nightly snacks

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First time at this Embassy Suites and the location was very good - we walked to the Navy Pier, to the Chicago River for our boat tour, and to Pizzaria Uno. The complimentary breakfast was very good with healthy options although extremely crowded. The rooms were OK - the beds were comfortable and the extra space is always nice with a family. Because this hotel is so popular with families, the room we were in was a little worn (squeaky desk chair, frayed carpet and the curtains in the bedroom had been ripped out of their tracks - ES fixed this right away). There was also a complimentary cocktail hour with snacks - once again, very crowded but good. The pool is shaped like a lap pool, but I was never able to actually swim laps because of all the kids in the pool at any given time. If I were not with two children I would have been happier somewhere else for the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent staff and a good location make this a wonderful place to stay if your visiting Chicago. There is a free trolley to the Navy pier just across the street, and cab access to museums and any restaurant not within walking distance is plentiful. Get the cooked to order breakfast unless your in a hurry. The evening reception is a great place for an appetizer or snack before an evening out. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Iowa
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot and stay in all kinds of hotels. I don't think an experience is ruined bc of one employee or a slight housekeeping problem. With that caveat, I won't stay here again. First-the positives. Great location to Navy Pier (although I learned of the free NP shuttle to Michigan Ave area that would have helped if staying on Mag Mile). Nice pool. Easy check in. Decent managers reception with quick service even though line looked long. For the mist part, very hard-working and friendly staff. If you have stayed in an Embassy Suites (one that hasn't been upgraded), you know the layout of the suite, which is roomy.

The negatives. Parking--even though I asked how to pay, the front desk didn't tell me that you have to go to parking office before you leave the first time to pay them and get your in and out privileges. This takes a bit of time (although they were o very friendly). From parking, you have to take 3 different elevators to get to your room. Wi-fi--note that they don't let a price anywhere. I assumed it was included. When it stated online that I'd have to pay, but didn't give a price, I called the operator. Get this! She said wi fi is $14.95 per 24 hours PER DEVICE. This is a family hotel with a bazillion kids with wireless devices. When I pitched a fit, I was quickly given a promo code for my stay--which was appreciated. Breakfast--to get a made to order breakfast was about a half hour wait in line. We opted for the buffet. Even when food was brought out in front of us, it was cold, as if tubs of bacon and eggs are just sitting in a hall in the back. I had kids with me and expected kids around. However understand that in the summer, you will be dining with what seemed like hundreds of others. The room--our headboard had huge scratches dug into it, the bathroom had holes in the wall where fixtures were changes, but old holes not repairs. And the tile in our room was dingy and chipped.

Last-I had to have an important package overnighted to me. I stopped at the desk the night before to alert them. The clerk was really rude and told me that they get packages all the time and she was sure they knew how to handle it. I thought that was a weird response since I was just trying to be courteous. Guess what? They botched the package acceptance and I didn't get my package. Now I have to deal with the post office to get it back home.

Next time I'll stay near mag mile where there are a whole host of hotels to choose from.

Had I paid $80 or $100 for this room, I probably wouldn't be so bent out of shape

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lancaster, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was the most I ever paid for a room and it was the worst stay at any Embassy Suites. From the bed room door being too close to the bed to the bath tub backing up and me taking a shower in sewage. Contacted the front desk requesting a Manager and Engineering. Only got Tom from Engineering. Tom took care of my problem but was after the fact. The shower bottom was black when he arrived to the room. Tom called for a supervisor, she arrived and was sorry for my problems. She asked if I was going to join them for resheshments. I was not sure. As it turns out the line was around the lobby for a drink so we passed. Left the hotel and walked to the Navy peir for dinner.

Room Tip: A lot of space in the living room, very little in the bed room.