“Could Have Been MUCH Better!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #74 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Pensacola Beach, Florida
“Could Have Been MUCH Better!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

For our recent trip to Chicago I booked this hotel for its the prime location. It was rather expensive ($265/night) but I thought it would be worth it, based on previous experiences at other Embassy Suites. Valet parking was $51/night, $36 for self parking. The lobby wasn't as lush as the others with fewer plants and none of the walkways on the floors above. Our suite was clean but shabby. The pictures on the wall were crooked and one of the lamps was broken. The electrical outlet at the desk wasn't working either. I will say that breakfast was wonderful, though and the staff was friendly and efficient. We decided to leave a day earlier than originally planned. When I went by the front desk and told them we were leaving the next day they simply adjusted our reservation and said thanks. When I got home I saw an additional fee on my bill for $87.31. I called the hotel and was told that we had been charged an early departure fee. When I said I hadn't been informed about it I was told "I guess not or you wouldn't have called to complain. Okay, I'll take it off", which she did. What if I hadn't noticed it? How many people have been charged this ridiculous fee? We've stayed in hotels all over the world and have altered our dates several times. I have never before been charged an early departure fee. Anyway, let's just say that we won't be staying there again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Guest -

Thank you for your review. I understand that you were dissatisfied with our cost structures and that you found our hotel to be too expensive. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that we do all we can to create a great experience for each one of our guests at the best possible price-point for the season and demand levels. We are always actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for your comfort and convenience and will definitely keep your review at the forefront of that discussion.

The "early departure" fee is assessed by most all of the major Brands and we are no exception. A guest can make any adjustments to his or her departure date at the time of check-in without any additional charges or the assessment of an "early departure" fee. But if the customer does not alter the departure date upon check-in and then elects to depart earlier than the original date, then the "early departure" fee applies. Please note, however, that this fee does not apply if the guest has to leave early for emergencies.

I was also very concerned to see your comment about some of the deficiencies in your room. This is obviously not acceptable and I have shared your comments with our executive housekeeper. We take great pride in the upkeep, maintenance and cleanliness of our rooms so it is unsettling to see a comment that the picture frame on the wall was crooked or the lamp shade was broken. I assure you that we will address these concerns thoroughly and improve our service standards for future guests.

Again, I do thank you for your review and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I hope that the next time you are in the area, you will give us another opportunity to change your perception of our hotel by giving us another opportunity to serve you properly.

Warm regards and safe travels,

Syed E. Hasan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My first time at an Embassy Suites and it was not a good one. This is not the type of hotel I would choose normally but was part of a large group so really had no choice in the matter. That being said lets start with the positive.....relatively good location, spacious rooms/suites, excellent beds and bedding. The bartender, a young woman, was the only staff member who understood the meaning of hospitality.
The bad, well here goes.

The hotel is multi story and built around an atrium, with walkways that you take from the elevators to your rooms. This atrium acts as a sound amplifier for whatever noise takes place below and it is a very busy hotel. The living rooms have windows that look out onto these walkways. This means that if you are to have any privacy at all you have to close the blinds....fine at night i guess when the lights need to be on, but in the daytime, it is like being in a cave??? Trying to be energy efficient, the spiral bulbs are everywhere, so there is not one spot where you can apply your makeup or see the true color of anything. The furniture, fitting and fixtures looked like they were installed in the 90's, very institutional and lacking in any style. The buffet breakfast in the morning is crowded, chaotic and noisy and lacking in choice for those who do not desire a cooked breakfast....
i made the grave mistake of locking my key in the room. I asked the receptionist politely if she could give give me another key. "ID!" she barked....oh no, guess what, my ID is in the room too!!! "i'll have to call Security!"
No free wifi....and where my room was, sketchy wifi at best. I had to call AT&T several times to get a credit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lavitaedolce
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest -

Thank you for your comments and it was a pleasure to have you here. Although we are very happy that you enjoyed our location and that you found our rooms to be spacious and our staff was accommodating with you, we are deeply regret that we fell short in some of the other key areas of service delivery and product.

There is absolutely no reason for the unprofessional behavior of our front desk agent when you called down and asked for another key. Rest assured I have shared your comments with the team to make sure this does not happen again. Our service values are very important to us and that is why I appreciate your feedback.

We thank you again, and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you during your next visit to downtown Chicago. In the interim, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. My office is at your disposal.

Cordially,

Syed E. Hasan
Rexford, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've stayed at various hotels around Chicago and chose this time based on proximity to meetings I needed to attend. This hotel was extremely convenient to Michigan Ave., loads of restaurants, pubs and bars plus shopping and anything else you could want. It's also close to the river and the lake.

The hotel lobby is on the 5th floor so you have to pop up in the elevator to check in. My check-in process was a bit slow with two people working and occupied with other guests. There was no one else around to assist so I sat there for 8-10 minutes. When they were done, there was no "how can I help you?". Eventually I just walked up to the counter. My own check-in took about 3 minutes.

I had a room on the 16th floor which was nice. High floor and pretty quiet in terms of traffic, etc. The rooms are pretty typical for Embassy Suites. Great size. Pretty basic furnishings. Wet bar, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker. An extra sink in the bedroom (a bit odd, but would be very convenient for a family). I was comfortable for the couple nights I was there and had no complaints.

I ordered some room service one night and it was very prompt. Food was OK and typical room service prices. Breakfast was great. Pretty huge selection with cooked-to-order options, cereal, fruit...you name it. I was really happy I hit the breakfast.

I like this location, the hotel itself and the fact that there is a ton to do within a short walk. Will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott P
Arlington, TX
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I used TripAdvisor to find this hotel with its decent ratings and my past good experiences with Embassy Suites hotels and I was not disappointed.

The hotel is in a good downtown Chicago location, only a couple of blocks from the Mag. Mile.
For a family wanting space, your options in a major downtown like Chicago are limited. I was here for a week and I could pay the equalivant of my mortgage for a luxury hotel suite or pick this Embassy Suite and get a 1 Kingbed corner-suite bedroom and seperated living room with sofa. My kids were happy having their own TV in the living room and me and my wife had a room to ourselves. Nice. We ate out a lot and brought back leftovers which we stuffed into the small fridge and re-heated in the microwave.

There was a small sink next to the microwave and (an oddly placed) sink in the bedroom as well as the the bathroom. The bed in the bedroom was comfy with plenty of pillows. My son wasn't impressed with the comfort of the sofa bed, but what sofa bed IS comfortable?

The hotel was pretty much spotless and the staff were incredibly freindly. Whomever is coaching the staff on customer service is doing a great job as no one seemed disgruntled. All staff had smiles and seemed genuinely glad that I chosed to stay at this hotel.

The breakfast staff was super friendly. The (free) breakfast area was cleaned by an attentive staff - as soon as someone finished eating, there was one of the staff rushing to make the table ready for the next diner. They could give lessons to real restaurant staff.

There is a pharmacy/grocery store right across the street and convenient bus stops right outside the hotel which will get you quickly to any of the tourist attactions in town. Here's a hint: the Chicago bus system uses a text-based system that will text you in real-time when the bus is arriving, I had my timing down from the room to the street so I was never waiting long for a bus.

My only two issues (of little significance) were the two-elevators it took to get to our room (which was probably for security reasons) and that there were two bulbs out in lamps when we arrived.

I would definitely stay at this hotel with family or on business in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dubnation
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was a well located, clean, friendly and reasonably priced hotel. The suite was a good size for 3 of us. We loved the manager's cocktail reception and the breakfast was great too adding to the value. We used room service and the food was very tasty. Onsite parking was convenient but pricey but it is the heart of Chicago. We walked to Navy Pier. All in all I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ideally located in downtown Chicago within walking distance of many sites to see, shopping, restaurants, the river, the lake, Millenium Park, the Magnificent Mile etc etc etc. Staff here were outstanding with tremendous information and suggestions from Doris, the hotel Concierge. The suites are spacious and comfortable. Manager's Happy Hour and made-to-order breakfast all included... Would stay here again without question.

Room Tip: When we checked in we were asked if we minded heights and then checked into our room on the 16th fl...