“Nice hotel for business stay but right next to the L”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #107 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 19, 2010

I stayed at the W Chicago for 4 nights last week while attending a large convention at McCormick Place. I stay at other W Hotels frequently, mainly in Atlanta and New York. This W is similar to most - trendy, loud music, young clientele, expensive drinks. I was upgraded to a "fabulous" room (1917) and the room was good size with an ample work desk, king size bed, and reasonably large bathroom. Bathroom lighting was good, but the shower was pretty average for a W (standard tub and shower head). I get spoiled with the large walk-in rain showers at the Atlanta W Midtown. The bed was very comfortable and I was mostly able to sleep well thanks to playing the iPod stereo while falling asleep. As other reviewers have commented, the L was right below my room and runs every few minutes late into the night and early in the morning. My room didn't shake but it was indeed loud enough to awaken me in the morning. I am a pretty heavy sleeper so this didn't bother me too much, but if you are a light sleeper I would consider a different hotel.

I ate room service breakfast and it was delivered right on time and was very good, though expensive (bowl of oatmeal, berries, and OJ = $24). Lunch in the restaurant was also very good. Drinks at the bar are pricey but typical for an upscale hotel in the city. Housekeeping did a nice job making up the room and the rest of the service staff were very helpful and friendly.

The hotel is about 5 blocks from the Art Institute and there are several good restaurants within walking distance and a good pub 2 blocks away. The famous Berghoff Restaurant in 3 blocks away and a good place for lunch. There is not much in the way of evening entertainment that I found near the hotel. Whereas many W Hotels tend to be a gathering place and attract a good party crowd, that is not the case here. Except for the lobby music, this W is pretty quiet in the evenings.

Overall, this was a decent place to stay and I might stay here again if I had business directly in the loop. The L is pretty noisy but the rooms were comfortable, clean and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed November 10, 2010

The W is a cool chain. City center fits the W bill, but a few things go awry. The remodel kept the old shower/bathtub configuration. This is not the easiest tub/shower to get in and out of. The new (er) W's have chic showers- these aren't. The rooms are small and there isn't enough light. It's just dark. A compact property that would be OK for a single traveler. The staff was excellent- well trained and very ready to serve. This W just isn't worth the extra $$ however.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

Happy to hear that you are a fan of the W Hotels as a chain and thrilled that our customer service impressed you during your stay. As far as your other concerns expressed, please let us know next time you escape with us and perhaps we can upgrade you to a more spacious, well lit room. Thank you!

Reviewed November 7, 2010

Overall, the W City Center meets, but does not exceed expectations. I stayed there for 5 nights and didn't have one issue with the service or amenities.

That being said, if you were in Chicago on pleasure, you might want to go elsewhere. First off, the location isn't fantastic, as it's in the heart of downtown and the surrounding area is dead. Additionally, the lobby bar doesn't provide much of a diversion (although the decor is awesome).

If you're looking to go out, you should check in with one of the concierges. The ones on staff when I was there had a pretty sound knowledge of nightlife. Although, make sure you're specific about what you're looking for. During my stay I had one arrange bottle service at club no too far from the hotel, and it ended up sucking pretty terribly. I blame this more on myself though, as clubs in Chicago suck in general and I shouldn't have asked about going to one. The bar scene in Chicago is awesome and the clubs tend to attract "clubby" people - you know, the crew cut and slacks crowd.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Scented candles, dimmed lights, moving objects and screens everywhere you go, including the elevator. Hoped the room will be a refuge - but alas, we got a room on the 4th floor, with windows that open to the AC and heating equipments and all of that for $550 per night. When we asked nicely to leave the next day, we were allowed to with no penalty fee. The staff is very nice and accommodating but the facility is unacceptable for such a price

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank judyNorthEast
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2010

Although we are happy to hear that our staff managed to impress you, we do apologize that our facility was a disappointment. We do have renovations slated to occur within the next two years that will definitely address your concerns!

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I used my points to book 2 nights at the W hotel in Chicago (City Center) the weekend of the Chicago Marathon. Past experience has normally resulted in a not-so-stellar room (and service) when I've booked on points, but I was proven wrong at the W. Our entire experience was wonderful.

Loved the music and drinks in the lobby/lounge. Check-in, room and concierge staff were all very helpful and polite. The elevator was funky (i.e. cool), the halls were well decorated, and our King room was massive (and also well decorated). Toiletries are by Bliss, which I love, so I was in heaven.

Hotel experience was great, but I must warn readers that the hotel is in the loop and a bit removed from nightlife, bars, restaurants, etc. Great location if you're there on business, but if you're there to party and chill, you might want to stay somewhere else. That said, we loved the hotel so much, that we'd definitely stay there again on our next trip to Chicago.

Recommend going to Lou Mitchell's for brunch (about a 20 min walk from the hotel) and Japonais for dinner (Japanese food; about a 15 min cab ride).

Happy travels!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

Thanks for the detailed description of your stay at the W City Center Hotel. We look forward to WOW-ing you again during your future travels!

Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed here for two nights for a business trip. My office is only 3 blocks away so it was convenient for work. It was in a good neighborhood but I had to walk several blocks to get to Michigan Ave. (next time I think cabbing is better)

The hotel is very beautiful, modern and clean. It's got some good restaurants and bars near by. It is pricey but what do you expect with a W? I had a great night sleep and workout facilities were decent.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JonaVSeattle
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay. Was there for a business conference in the hotel. Beautiful architecture - great contrast of traditional, old world design with the very modern furniture and decor. Nice staff, although didn't interact with them much. Bedroom is quite small but beautiful and plenty of space for 1 and a little tight with kids. I was in a one queen-bed room. Great location for walking to shops and restaurants. Best part are the Bliss products. :) Can't comment on price though, because the company paid for it and I don't know how much.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business