“Small rooms but loved it anyway”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #106 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Miami, Florida
“Small rooms but loved it anyway”
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Loved my stay here with my girlfriend. Yes the rooms are small, but they're very nice. The beds are amazingly comfortable. I wouldn't call it centrally located but it is fairly close to many things, we walked everywhere just to absorb the city. Train stations are nearby and will take you anywhere. Do not take a cab to or from the air[port, it only cost 2 bucks to take the train versus a $60 cab ride. The downstairs bar is very trendy and the crowd spills over into the lobby. It is very swanky and trendy, filled with young professionals out to have a couple happy hour drinks, we loved that our hotel was the place to be seen. Room service brought us the most delicious burger I've ever had, but it was exspensive.

• Liked — whatever, whenever service
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Korean first
Kansas City
Reviewed July 11, 2007

My stay at the W City Center was a Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde type ordeal. For every task that they did well, there was an equal and opposite task that flopped.
As a former frequent traveler I have stayed in many different hotels ranging from 3 stars to 5 stars. And, lately, I have been having good, solid experiences booking 4 star hotels for my leisure trips through priceline, but my stay at the W City Center in Chicago ended that string of luck.I had read many other reviews on this website before my trip and I felt like I had enough information to know what to expect, but I was wrong.
I rated my experience at the W a "2," but it was closer to a "2.49" and just like in math class, I rounded down. I am not sure what the exact criteria is for star ratings, but for service, the W City Centre is a solid "3.5," but that's as good as it gets.
My flight landed at Midway at about 9:30 am, so I took the Orange line and arrived at the hotel at around 11:00 am. I was expecting to check my luggage, but to my surprise I was able to check-in. And, according to them, they upgraded my bed from full to queen and gave me a courtyard view on the 11th floor, so that noise from the "L" wouldn't bother me. What a joke!!!
My bed wasn't even a full, it was more like a double... maybe even a twin-and-a-half. My wife and I, who sleep in a King at home, were practically on top of each other. And the courtyard view, looked more like the view from a project in Brooklyn. And, I understand that the interior rooms in the hotel have no choice but to have a view like that, but please don't tell me it's an upgrade, when it really isn't. I would have rather heard the train and had a view of the outside world, than to feel like I was in prison.
The room was tiny! After I learned was staying at the W, I looked it up and saw that the rooms were small, but the website doesn't do the room justice. There was exactly enough room to turn around, but that was about it. there was a lounge chair in the corner that was unecessary in that size room and the desk where one could use a laptop was at the foot of the bed. When you pulled the chair out to take a seat, it hit the foot of the bed, so you had to squeeze into the space between the desk and the chair. At 6'3", 180 lbs, I'm not a huge man, but it was a feat for me to do that.
The television was in a cabinet to the left of the bed, so I had to turn my head at an awkward angle to view it. And, the question that kept running through my mind was, "If this is a 4 star hotel, where is the plasma TV?" I have stayed at many other 4 star hotels in Chicago that have had plasma for years and if I remember correctly the W Lakeshore has plasma TV's in it's rooms.
I liked the fact that there was a safe in the room for my valuables, it made me feel much more comfortable about leaving certain things in the room. But, it was a too small for my laptop.
The bathroom was also very tiny, but it had a full-sized tub and a fantastic shower head. Also, the little Bliss sample products were great so I purchased full-sized versions. The toilet was extremely noisy, but I believe I figured out why. The flush was a little longer and stronger than a usual toilet, but I think it was so that all "debris" could be cleaned with one flush instead of possibly flushing more than once. I mean it's so loud, the flushing next door would wake my wife in the middle of the night.
The service at the door was great, but it came in spurts. At one point there might be three gentlemen opening the door, but at others there might not be any, only the person that hails cabs for you and if your hands are full and he's busy, then you're stuck! I didn't see a handicapped button you can push to open it automatically.
The location is decent. You're very close to the Orange and Brown line trains, two blocks from the Blue line and 4 or 5 blocks from the Red line. And, unless you're going out at midnight, like we did, there is usually a cab in the vicinity.
Overall, this is not a 4 star hotel. You either have great service or none at all and I didn't appreciate being misled to think I was receiving some sort of benefit. I decided not to patronize the restaurant (Shikago) or bar (Whiskey Blue) because there are many other places in Chicago I'd rather spend my money. Please do your research. The W City Center is a great 2.5-3 star hotel. It's not even close to being 4 stars.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
usa
Reviewed July 6, 2007

We were a little concerned after booking on Hotwire..I had looked here to see what people were getting for Hotwire deals in the $120 range....but we were so happy!! We were travelling with a baby and I had read the rooms were small. We understood the hotel would be HIp and Trendy so I was ready for all of that. I called ahead to make sure they had a crib...they did and I asked about the size of bed...she says happily "you have a wonderful room.." meaning a full sized bed. When we arrived (10am to check our bag) she said our room the "spectacular King" was not ready, but we could stay in another, however it was near the El. We chose to pass....came back later as planned and found the room to be EXCELLENT!! Very nice in design and I loved the mood lighting, roomy bathroom....all excellent. After we were in the room for 45 minutes or so a room service person came to make sure we were happy and didn't need anything.
We also loved the strawberry water at the end of a hot day....Starbucks coffee in the morning (could have made more though)!!

• Liked — The design of the rooms...very inspiring decor, cf lighting!!!
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My mother and I stayed here for a brief weekend trip to Chicago. We tried out Priceline for the first time, bidding $120. The W accepted the bid, and at first I was concerned about the negative reviews. However, I must say we were treated very nicely from the moment we checked in and even though booking at a discounted rate. They did give us the wonderful room, on the 7th floor, and it was pretty small. But nothing compared to small New York City hotel rooms, so we managed for two days sharing a double bed and a small bathroom. In the morning, they leave you the paper at your door, and with Au Bon Pain located on the next block, breakfast is a snap. The hotel has a dark, sophisticated decor which is a nice change from the typical family style hotel chain like Marriot or Hilton. Also, we liked the Bliss bath products.

The lobby always had coffee or tea or cucumber water available for guests. Or the bar was always there, the Whiskey Blue was kind of happening on Friday night. There's also a good, cheap bar at the Elephant Club bar a few blocks to the left on W. Adams. We parked at the Union Station parking garage for $19 per night and walked with our bags for a few blocks to save money over the valet parking. The bonus is there were street vendors set up selling discount sunglasses (3for$20)and jewelry on the way.

There was quite a bit of a walk from the hotel to see all the sites. The first day we walked from the hotel to Buckingham fountain, to Navy Pier, up the riverfront, down Michigan avenue and back to the W.. and since I was wearing my pedometer, I know that I walked 33,725 steps that day. But after that my feet were ready to fall off, so we took cabs to go out to Rush & Division, to hit the club scene.

• Liked — The in room CD player
  • Disliked — the high priced parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 22, 2007

My stay was marked by a extremely small and cramped room with a extremely high price. A half eaten cashews left in room that was replaced by staff and then charged. Five days and additional charges appeared even after I left for the earlier days.
Never credited my account for deposits made to the hotel, Starwood corporate management can not seem to resolve this with this hotel.
The room was the smallest room I have ever stayed in, the controls for the heat and cooling were hidden behind the TV cabinet, I was not even able to see the temperature on the digital display because the cabinet was less then twelve inches away and unable to use the temperature controls.
The bathroom was another issue throughout my stay, first the tub backed up and when taking a shower you would have about of foot of water in the tub. I called to report and start to tell the person and they already apparently knew of the issue for when I said I had a problem with the shower they said," is the water slow going down?". I said well it is not really going down at all. She said she would have someone take a look at it. Nothing was corrected as each time I took a shower the same results of having to stand in dirty shower water rising up my feet, shins and legs.

To make matters anymore frustrating the one morning I could sleep in, I was awakened at 8:15 by someone from your staff pounding on the doors on the floor for housekeeping.

I have already sent several emails to the Director of Operations, Tomas Caramucci, to say the least unresponsive.
Corporate still a month later can not get this property to clear up the improper billing and proper credits for 1038.60 deposit that was never credited.

Stay at this hotel at your own risk! MY suggestion stay elsewhere you will make your stay without this poorly managed and operated Hotel!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Unresponsive Management
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I had great expectations for this hotel; Chicago is a wonderful city and I was really hoping to stay in a hotel that reflected its charm. HOWEVER, if you are travelling with your family, this is not the hotel for you! I made the critical mistake of bringing my three year old and this hotel does not appreciate children. Normally, I don't care if a hotel doesn't cater to children. I've brought my child to hotels that are mostly for adults because he is well behaved and doesn't mind entertaining himself, it never before was a problem. The staff made it obvious that they didn't appreciate children being there and made it a point to not accomodate my interests regarding matters with my child (i.e. crib in the room, etc.).
I found the staff to be totally incompetant and obstinate. I needed a new comforter because I spilled on the original one- it took EIGHT phone calls to get a new comforter. After the fourth call, I asked to speak with a member of management and it still took four more phone calls before I got the comforter and even then it wasn't the right size. I finally gave up. In the end, I waited over two hours for a replacement comforter.
Moreover, if you are picky about cleanliness- beware; some may not be impressed with the level of cleanliness of this hotel.
I ate an candy bar out of the snack bar and was revolted at how stale and old it was. It had probably been there for over a year.
I sat in the bar and waited almost a half hour before being approached by the bartender. This was at 2:30 in the afternoon, with only four other patrons in the bar...
I won't stay at this hotel again. And I definitely wouldn't recommend it; unless you're there for a quicky business trip.
I don't like sounding so negative in my travel reviews, but this hotel could have done a lot better, and I just want people to know that for a four-star hotel, it left much to be desired...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Ohio
Reviewed June 12, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. I brought my family and met other family for a weekend stay in Chicago. I had booked through Priceline so the selection of hotel was made for me. I was a bit leary of the hotel after reading some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised after our arrival. The rooms were great and easily accomodated everyone. The staff was excellent and most helpful. My nieces (ages 20 and 23) thought the hotel was very cool and loved it. While everything was great - room, service, amenities.... I would say I would not recommend for families with young children. The lobby is dark and in late afternoon and evening, you need to walk through (usually) a crowd of people usually drinking cocktails... so a bit awkward when with kids. Also, the "el" is located super close. This makes it very convenient for getting around town, but a bit noisy at night. Overall, we really liked the W Chicago and would especially recommend this locale for younger set.

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family