“Loved The W”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #115 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Reading other reviews, I was hesitant to stay at this hotel....but due to the Chicago Marathon going on the same weekend we were there, we were lucky to get ANY room in the area. And, we really were lucky! The hotel is a fine, old, architecturally interesting place. The lobby welcoming and beautiful. The staff were EXCEPTIONAL, attentive to our every need. We really enjoyed the culturally diverse staff. Check in was fast and the clerk (Salawi (sp?) from Botswana) was just fantastic. The concierge, James, helped us throughout our stay with our multiple change of plans and excellent advice. Housekeeping, room service, even the engineering department (we needed a screw driver for a kid's toy!) were immediately accessible and helpful. Our room was on the 20th floor - not much view due to the high buildings all around - but very clean, spacious and comfortable. The 2 double beds were very plush and comfy, we had more than enough room for a roll out bed as well. But again, I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with friendlier or more helpful staff, and lots of staff everywhere you want them to be. Easy walking distance to everything we wanted to do. Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank JBF1

Reviewed October 9, 2006

I always read the Trip Advisor reviews and then approach my stay with an open mind. As with so many other reviews, the lobby and halls are indeed VERY dark--too dark to be 'chic' and dark enough to make me uncomfortable. The rooms and bathrooms are VERY, VERY small--the one double bed took up 80% of the room. The toiletries are nice. The front desk staff was always prompt, helpful and courteous. The conceirge was very knowledgeable and went out of his way to make a dinner reservation for us that would work with our Opera schedule. Our room was on the 7th floor and faced the rear of the building and you could still hear the "L". I give high marks to the staff but disliked the darkness of the place and felt it was overrpiced given the size of the rooms and the location--not much around there other than the Sears Tower. The Opera House is about a 5 block walk which was a plus for us as this was the reason we were in town.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpbb
Reviewed October 2, 2006

My husband and I spent three nights in September at the W City Center Hotel for our anniversary. Although we are fans of the W Hotel chain in general, we booked this room because we got a great $179/night AAA rate. The location is fair. It is in the business area of the Loop and is VERY quiet on the weekends. The rooms are dark as described in previous reviews. I asked for a room facing the street facing the inner courtyard as I thought this would result in a light filled room. However, the room was still dark because of the tall buildings surrounding the hotel. It was nicely decorated and the bathroom was a good size with Bliss products.
The best part was the bed which is very plush and cozy. The staff was also exceptionally friendly from check-in, concierge, and housekeeping. Overall, I would choose to stay in a hotel next time closer to the river or the Mag Mile. I felt a little isolated at the City Center but the price of $179/night could not be beat.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank desnudouno
Reviewed September 19, 2006

My wife and I have stayed at different "W" locations several times over the last couple of years. This past weekend was our 10 year anniversary and we decided to shoot up to Chicago and crank it up a bit. The W City Center did NOT disappoint one bit. The GM and his staff are first rate and made our stay one for the memory books. Could have not asked for better customer service and hospitality. We'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trainwreck
Reviewed September 3, 2006

This is a hotel that is trying to be a nightclub.

The Bad:
It's a dark place, done in shades of blacks and browns and dark plum. The lobby of my floor is so dark that I had trouble finding the elevators until I learned what to watch for. The room is approximately 14 x 9 -- dinky by any standard for the $240/night price tag they put on it. It comes with no microwave, no guest refrigerator, and "optional" internet access at $15/day. Furniture consists of the queen-sized bed, a small black nightstand, a black desk with no drawers that looks like it came from Ikea, and a huge TV stand stuffed with condiments the hotel wants you to buy. There is no room for anything else in this room.

If you get the side facing the El then you will hear that noise all day and all night. You will also hear noise from the lobby and from your neighbors quite clearly.

The restaurant is serves food that is fair to good, but does not justify the sky-high prices. There are better choices to be found around town, both from price and quality perspectives.

The Good:
Central to downtown Chicago. Close access to the El and to buses and taxis. Courteous front desk clerks and an exceptionally personable bartender.

To Net It Out:
I will not stay here again, and have instructed my travel management company to that end. What this hotel offers is not what I expect for four-star prices. I would rate it closer to two stars. I do not recommend it unless you like dark, cramped places.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank mem03
Reviewed August 24, 2006

Walking into the W, you immediatly notice that they're going for a cool, trendy, edgy vibe. It's very different from most hotels. The lobby area, or "lving room" as they call it, is 2-story, dark, with techno music and constant video displays on 2 walls. I actually liked it alot, but some people at the conference I was attending did not. The staff is young and uniformly helpful and accommodating. I read some reviews on here before going which led me to believe that they would be snobby but I didn't find that to be the case at all. It's an old building from the 20s so that means it has some beautiful architectural features -- our meeting room was fabulous! But also leads to some variation in rooms. My first room was small, dark, and worst of all the air conditioning did not seem to be working so it was hot. After a couple of calls, I got moved to a much nicer room that was larger, lighter, and cooler. Many of the people at my conference were saying that their rooms were small, so watch out for that. The hallwasy are very dark, I'm not sure why. Part of the atmosphere I guess. It's light enough to see, just different from what you're used to. Very comfortable beds, bedding, nice bath products (Bliss). I thought it was kind of expensive, probably wouldn't stay here again because of that and the location, but I did like it. It's located in the financial district so mostly surrounded by office buildings. You have to walk several blocks to get to most shopping and restaurants. It is pretty close to the Art Institute. I'd rather stay on north Michigan Ave. W has another location on Lakeshore Drive, too.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Midwestern traveler
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Well arrived in Chicago......... and entered the stunning lobby of the W........ it looks fantastic........ quickly processed our booking from a very friendly receptionist....... up to our room........ it was awful....... tiny, dark, little natural light, a ghastly small bathroom that felt grubby! It was such a depressing small room....... and for $325. We decided we could not "cope" with this room so we called down to the main desk...... the person we spoke to was not very friendly or sympathetic. We called back to say we stay at W hotels alot so after telling them this and taking a hard line approach that we were leaving if not re-assigned a better room..... success....... the hotel was full that night but they would move us to another better room tomorrow. They did........ the new room was much more spacious and really quite pleasant. The staff are in general wonderfully friendly ( esp. Amber & Gus ) The bar is very relaxing and breakfast good though expensive. I like W Hotels, though this isn't their best example, i had an enjoyable stay eventually!

1  Thank casty