“Tiny and extras are expensive”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #118 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 31, 2009

The hotel is just fine for a business stay - it is moderately clean (see below) and the staff do seem to care about your stay.

Nonetheless something is wrong when you can't open the toilet seat because the toilet paper roll is in the way. I had to take the toilet paper out in order to open and close the toilet lid.

When I am traveling on business I do not need a lot of space but this is too much. The other complaint is that the halls and sometimes the rooms smell of dirty vacuum cleaners. Otherwise things seemed clean.

Finally, I have found that between room service, the hotel restaurant, wifi, etc. that the price can jack up pretty quickly from the base rate. These amenities are not inexpensive and I wish I had just booked a place that had a higher base rate but wasn't as pricey in the end.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,623)

Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was our first stay at a W hotel and we chose it primarily because we got a great deal on the room for our quick weekend visit to Chicago. The 'L' is right around the corner making the trip from Midway airport directly to the hotel very easy and also makes getting around Chicago pretty convenient. Our room was newly renovated, trendy but small and resembled a "what to do with a 250sqft apartment" display at Ikea. The bathroom and majority of the room were very clean but there was a really dirty ottoman which was off putting. We were happy to find that you can check in for your flight and print your boarding passes in the lobby for free but unfortunately we couldn't remember our confirmation number to do that and getting on the internet so that we could find it costs $6.95 for 15 minutes in the business lounge. I don't think it's somewhere I'd want to be if I were staying longer than a night or 2 but it worked for what we needed.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

I always think that any service oriented entity should be measured by how they respond to things that are out of their control - and today that happened and in my mind W - City center COMPLETELY FAILED.
W -City center had pipeline disruption this morning at 8 AM. I was trying to get to shower around that time - couldnt. Waited for 10 minutes - called Front desk - they gave me an ETA of 9:15 am. 10 AM goes by - still no water - and no-one bothered to call me and tell me
a) What is going on?
b) Any other options available?
So I call at 10 AM - still the same story - no apologies, no suggestions for any alternatives.
I wait for an hour - call at 11 AM - Same story again.
I had to cancel out of my meeting that was scheduled at 1 PM - came down to the hotel at 12 noon to check out - the receptionist asks me boldly how my stay was. I told her that it has been horrible since AM and then she offers a coupon for taking a shower in a nearby Gym. Nice!. First of all, I wish the W gave me this option 3 hours ago . Second, still the total non-apologetic tone of the receptionist - put me off. I travel to Chitown quite a bit -but this hotel is OFF my list. I would rather stay in Westin River North - which is a much better place and the rooms are bigger than W as well.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband took me to Chicago for our 1 year Wedding Anniversary and we stayed at the W. First impressions upon check-in were UNimpressive. The lobby is quite large but the actual check-in area is small, dark and cramped and there are individuals who clearly speak english as a second language standing behind kiosks to greet you. Our room was small and so modern it was cold and uninviting. Their choices for decor after the remodel look cheap. We were so tired from walking around Chicago one night we decided to try out the restaurant downstairs, "we", and were even more unimpressed. There were only 2 other couples in the restaurant which should have been a huge sign to us, but we decided to sit down anyway. The waiter was unattentive and kept forgetting things, including on 2 separate occasions a drink order and the side we ordered with our meal. When the side was finally delivered, 10 minutes later, it was cold and in a tiny dish (and they wanted $8 for it). Then he charged our credit card the wrong amount - twice. Overall a very disappointing dinner. We asked for late check out the day we were leaving - a Monday when the hotel was a ghost town - and were told the W only offers that services for Platinum members and we would need to pay another $75 additional to have late check out. We were glad to get back home after a very stressful trip and noticed we were charged a full $556.17 TWICE and it had already posted to our account. When I called to speak to the Accounting Department at 8:27am they told me to call back at 9:30 to give them time to get settled in since they just opened and then they could handle my issue. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! I will never stay another W Hotel. They are WAY overrated and under deliver in all areas.

On another note - Chicago was a wonderful city and we had some delicious dinners (David Burke Steakhouse, the Italian Village, Gino's East (deep dish pizza) and Portillo's) but we will never stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at the W City Center from 8/13-8/16 in a regular room. I know the reviews for this hotel go back and forth- I went back and forth as well when deciding on the hotel. They had a summer promotion where I paid for two nights and got the 3rd night free, so we jumped on it. I'm glad we did.

First of all, everyone else is correct, the rooms are very small. It really wouldn't work with kids at all. The bed takes up the majority of the room, but it is very comfortable and cozy. Everything in the room (bottled water, snacks, etc) is hugely overpriced, so we didn't use any of that. Room service was high as well. However, the hotel was very quiet and very calm once you got upstairs.

The crowd downstairs seemed like it could be a bit snotty- after getting back the hotel exhausted from a concert and grabbing food from McDonald's (the only thing open anywhere close to our hotel), we did receive a few death glares from some of the nicer dressed patrons. Once you hit the elevators though, (yes, with revolving Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening floor mats), the hallways and rooms were immaculate and quiet.

I would highly recommend this hotel for singles or couples, and its location was very convenient for everything we wanted to see. Comfy, calm rooms, sleek modern design, and a great and helpful staff. We also used the Acura car service, which didn't start until 1:00 PM, but had a great driver and no problems getting a ride.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

My wife and I had looked forward to our stay at the W Hotel on Adams Avenue in Chicago. Although the hotel's location was hard to beat, the hotel itself seemed dull and drab. It was more like an industrial building that had quickly and cheaply been converted to hotel quarters. The lobby was very hard to navigate to get to the elevators. The wallpaper in the elevators was a psychedelic style that left us dazed and confused. The room itself was decorated in a "post industrial style." Room windows looked into an office building with office workers looking back at us. Employees were friendly and helpful - no complaints there. The lobby and lounge areas seemed to cater more to a swingers crowd. This hotel did not suit our tastes in any manner. In conclusion, we'll not stay at another W Hotel.

1  Thank maltasr
WChicagoCityCenter, Marketing Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2009

Why hello there!

Thank you for your feedback! While I am disappointed to hear that the design of the W was not up to your expectations, I am thrilled to hear that our Whatever/Whenever service and location proved to delight you. The W brand has several different design palates, so I encourage you to explore the brand in other cities and give us another try! Looking forward to your return to the W brand!

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager

Reviewed August 15, 2009

I’m a Starwood card member and anytime I travel for business I prefer to stay at one of the properties. The W Hotel is my favorite Starwood brand, so when I traveled to Chicago for Lollapalooza, I booked five nights at the W Hotel City Center ( got a decent rate using my AAA card). The hotel lobby is beautiful on the inside. It reminded me of being in an exclusive hotel in NYC. The aesthetic of the outside of the building blends in perfectly with downtown.

I booked this hotel because it’s walking distance to Grant Park where Lollapalooza was being held. Very convenient location but the area is dead on the weekends. I ordered room service alot due to the lack of restaurants being open. The gym (SWEAT) was okay but not fancy. Unfortunately the property has no pool so if you want to beat the Chicago heat during the summer and you are brand loyal, book the W Hotel Lakeshore. Room service was quick and the staff was helpful. I asked an attendant at the front door where I could find the nearest Harold’s restaurant and he directed me to nearest location promptly.

My room was on the 11th floor. Make sure to request a room that faces the front of the building or you’ll be facing the back, which faces another building (no sunlight). I had a wonderful room, which was nice. There are a lot of light switches for the minimal amount of light they produce – the light under the bed was kinda cool! My only major complaint was the noise from the room next to mine ( thin walls) and the activities in the hallway (cleaning staff seemed to slam doors non-stop).

2  Thank limajt91279