“Not at all what we were expecting from a W Hotel”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #104 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Boonton, New Jersey
“Not at all what we were expecting from a W Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2008

When we checked in, we were given an upgrade to a larger room by the very attentive front desk staff. That is where the good stopped with our stay at this hotel. We were on the 8th floor overlooking Adams St and were at first pleased with the room. Then, the first Elevated Train came by. It was so loud that the only way to drown it out was to turn the fan on high. We then went into the bathroom where we found a used eyelash curler laying on the floor under the sink. In the room, we were surprised at the relatively old, non-HD TV with a remote that barely worked. What really made me upset though was the $31.70 mini bar charge that appeared on my checking account statement later that week. At no point did we use anything from the mini bar. Overall, a terrible stay at a terrible property.

• Liked — The staff was extremely courteous
  • Disliked — The cleanliness and the bad charges
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2008

I'm not an idiot and I realize that the majority of these reviews are negative because only people who have something to complain about write reviews. I visited this website before my boyfriend and I stayed at the W City Center (but after we had booked the room!). Needless to say, we grew quite worrisome about our weekend trip to Chicago.

That is, until we got there... This hotel was amazing! Everyone from the valet people to the front desk help were incredibly polite and always smiling. Upon check-in, like a lot of other W guests, we were upgraded to a larger room. We stayed on the 16th floor and were amazed at the size of the room and the bathroom! Huge! We did hear the El, but let's be serious people: there is little that can be done about that! Wear earplugs! Lol.

This was our first stay at a W hotel (and trust me, there will be many more!) but I can see why certain people (i.e. old sticks in the mud) wouldn't like the W hotels. They are young, modern, and yes, quite noisy, but they are bustling with activity! This is not some stuffy hotel where you feel like you are not welcome. We are a young, gay couple and we absolutely loved our time at the W!

To combat some of the negative opinions:

-Our bathroom was huge; nothing like having to sit with our legs at an angle with the counter pointing into our backs...

-I feel like those who have complained about the darkness of the hotel have overreacted; yes, the lobby is dark with lots of ambient lighting and disco balls and awesome music but the rooms were like any other I've ever stayed in: the majority of the light came from two end-table lamps, one torchiere and one desk lamp. The bathroom had adequate over-the-sink lighting and two or three ceiling lights.

-The bedroom was extremely clean. (PS - the BED is AMAZING! They really have something with the "W Signature Bed"!)

Some positives no one has mentioned:

-The toiletries are from Bliss! Body Butter, face wash, hand soap, etc. They are quality products and they smell great!

-The TV was HUGE! LG LCD Flat screen...

-They change out the welcome mats in the elevator to say "Good Morning" and "Good Evening" depending on the time of the day! (Hey, it's the small things that count...)

One last thing: I think that they could offer Free WI-Fi but we were so excited about exploring Chicago that we barely thought about email!

I promised myself that I would write this review if we had a good experience and we had a GREAT experience! Give the W City Center a try... You can find good deals out there and once you're at the hotel, they'll take care of you...

• Liked — The amazing staff...
  • Disliked — No free Wi-Fi...
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank UWFrenchGrad
Detroit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

The room was so small that we were tripping over everything, fortunately, there wasn't enough room to fall down. It took me a while just to find a place to drop my bags. The bathroom was so small that I had to sit sideways, with the sink poking into my shoulder. Room 717 is directly in front of the elevators and you get a lovely "ding ding ding" every 3 to 4 minutes. The plumbing bumps and shreeks like a monster from a Godzilla film every time someone in the building uses any water. You can get free WI-FI on a bus or a train but the W charges you $14 per day(Probably standard, but insulting while paying top dollar to stay on a broom closet.). The view from our room was non-existent. The food was good and the beds were great, but this building was simply not designed to be a luxury hotel.

In conclusion: the rooms are small and I like to complain.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
New York, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

The only reason to stay here is if you are on business, because the price is not worth it if it's coming out of your own pocket. The window to half the rooms overlooks an interior courtyard where it looks like they keep their garbage. Feels like an old run-down tenemant building. And it's near the el, so you need to be a heavy sleeper, or have strong sleeping pills to ignore the noisy train right outside your window. They nickel and dime business travelers for everything, charging $20 to accept a fedex and $4 for sending an email using their scanner downstairs. The place is understaffed as well. Being on hold for a few minutes when ordering room service, and what especially annoyed me was waiting on the phone for several minutes simply to ask them to bring my package up to me. Very annoying when I am getting billed $20 simply for them to receive the fedex for me. The few good things about this place are that the downstairs whiskey blue is very chic and trendy. The food is decent, although does not meet expectations for a supposedly 4 star place. Although understaffed, the staff tried hard and is very friendly when you finally can get a hold of someone. It seemed all the staff were always smiling, friendly, genuinely apologizing for the poor service, and harried from running to put out one fire to the next. Bizarrely, they always call your room several minutes after room service/package asking if everything is okay. It annoyed me that they kept interrupting on their own time to ask if they can do anything else instaed of just giving me the service I wanted when I wanted it. Also, the reason this place is so busy is that there is a dearth of business hotels in the west loop/union station area. If there were another business hotel in this area, I'm sure the W City Center would go belly up.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service, rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MakeYouHumble!
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

I have stayed at many of the W hotels around the country, NYC, Atlanta, LA, Chicago Lakeshore, etc. and the experience is often touch and go for me (some things are great, others not good). One small part of staying at any of these hotels, is the fact that you really need to be in the mood for all of the music, dimmed lights, clever sayings written on each surface you encounter. I don't knock that, they really do try to provide a different experience, and it is good at night when you want to feel like something is going on. But, I have to wonder why I just paid $299 for a dark room the size of my home bathroom with a tiny prisoners window. At this property, I feel that the hoteliers put all of their money into a design sense and none of it into the basic comforts expected from an expensive hotel room. Let's first talk about the positive: the staff in the bar was top notch, the check in was straightforward, and the hotel has a thriving, vibrant feel when you enter and wind your way to the reception desk. But, I spend most of my time at a hotel in the room, preparing to sleep, sleeping, or finishing up some presentation, document or emails at the desk before heading out to conduct the business for which I came to a given city. In this respect the rooms at W themselves have sometimes left me feeling a little disapointed and even worse, uneasy. This uneasy feeling was the case for my most recent stay at the W City Center, which was heightened by a really dark room. (Window small 3X3 and hidden behind a large black TV armoir). Dark obvious stains on the douvet and sheets added a grimy, dungeon like feeling that was enhanced by the dark surfaces and indirect flourescent lighting. The effect is a let down, but also a strong desire for fresh air and a mild concern about the actual cleanliness of the room. It made me wonder why I was in this hotel when there are so many better lit spaces available for less money in downtown Chicago. It is always too late for me to change rooms or hotels after I arrive because time is limited, so I thought I would share this and perhaps spare other business travelers the let down.

• Liked — The vibe
  • Disliked — Tiny, dingy room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
ILLINOIS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

I had the pleasure of booking 2 rooms at the W Hotel at City Center in Chicago the weekend of 9/19/08. My mother,sister, who flew in from Phoenix, AZ , and I went to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday and to see Jersey Boys, which was fantastic! I was a little concerned about the rooms after reading some of the reviews, since my mother is 70, I thought the hotel maybe a little too eclectic for her, but I must say we were VERY pleasantly suprised!! The staff was ABSOULTELY WONDERFUL!!
I really want to give kudos to ALBERT JONES, the front desk supervisor and SELAWE TAU, the welcome desk manager, they went above and beyond to see that our stay was TRULY WONDERFUL!!! :)
The only complaint I have about the hotel is that it is a little dark for our taste, but I would definetly stay there again!!

• Liked — The staff, decor, restaurant,food, the and rooms
  • Disliked — The dark atmoshpere
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LVJAZZ
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

Honestly, couldn't have been better. We flew in on a red-eye and were just looking to drop off our bags until check-in. The saintly receptionist advised us they had a room ready (almost 5 hours before check-in!). On top of this they gave us a free upgrade to a much larger room away from the EL Train, and threw in a certificate for 2 free drinks at the bar for each night we stayed... After checking to see if I was holding a gun in my hand we headed up to our 20th floor room for a much needed rest.
Although the hotel isn't perfectly located (about 5-8 blocks away from shopping, theatres, museums, etc.), they offered complementary rides in Acura MDX's (one way- from the hotel) to anywhere in the city. Not bad for $125.00 a night on Hotwire.com, eh... The hotel can seem a little pretentious, but everyone from the staff was exceptionally nice and courteous. Big thumbs up!

• Liked — Great value, service, and atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Somewhat of a trendy Vegas superficiality to it.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business