“Great room, food and atmosphere; Terrible service”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #116 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here the other night, and we definitely enjoyed ourselves; however, the service we received was less than satisfactory. One would assume that a highly rated hotel would treat their guests better. Every time we entered the hotel, I felt out of place instead of welcome.

Service aside, the hotel was so trendy and modern. Our room was gorgeous and food service was prompt. I definitely recommend the crab cakes!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kduncan11
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Quality over quantity, right?!?! We are so happy that even thought your stay was swift it was a stellar one! The location of W Chicago City Center is so great for attending events at United Center. We are so happy the proximity to the game and our talent made for a great visit!

We hope to see you again soon - go Hawks!
Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,622)

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Very small room but we were only staying 1 night as we were attending the theater.
The elevator has a psychedelic feel but the rooms were very clean and had some interesting items for purchase.
The best part was the location as it allows for walking to the major attractions and to and from union station.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelsbyJnJ

Thanks for the review! We are so happy the location was a great fit for you. While the historic nature of the building lends to a variety of room layouts, we would love to welcome you back and have you explore some of our upgraded room types. Let me know when you are back!

See you soon!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for business and had a very pleasant stay. The hotel is made up to be hip an trendy, but in the end, it is a very comfortable hotel. The positive for this hotel are that it is in a great location, the beds are comfortable and the staff are very friendy. The negative points for this hotel is that the building is old, and it is located right next to the L train which runs most of the day and night.

My room was quite large and had a very comfortable bed. My room faced away from the L train so it was relativley quite. However, you can hear the train starting at about 4:00 am if you are a light sleeper.

The elevators in the hotel are old and require a room key to operate. One of my trips to the lobby was quite long due to the door on the elevator not wanting to close.

The restaurant IPO is nice for breakfast and the staff is very friendly. i really ejoyed the hotel. However the group of people I was traveling with preferred the JW Marriott across the street.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the L train side of the building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank mnasf
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for the candid feedback. While the historic nature of the building lends to a variety of room layouts. We have different room categories to accommodate different needs and preferences as you experienced! I am happy to hear you enjoyed the service and dining experience in IPO - it is such a great spot to start your day!

I hope we have the luxury of welcoming you back soon - if so please let me know so we can offer you a warm welcome!

Till then!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I like to try different hotels when I fly into town for work. My client has preferred accounts at different places and I have stayed at the Trump, Palmer House, Essex and even the backpackers hostel.

The "W" looks like a cool place but, it was disappointing from the moment my cab pulled up. I don't like anyone fawning over me and insisting they take my bags. However, a door man indicating this was indeed a hotel would have been nice. There was a guy standing just inside the vestibule but, he didn't seem to care much about anything.

The lobby has a cool vibe. Some 'beautiful people' lounge around as a disco ball spins overhead. The delicious hot chocolate decanter with s'mores was a nice touch. Elevators have lenticular 3D artwork which is trippy under the dim blue lights.

I stayed in the "Wonderful" category of room. My first room was fairly large with two windows. Unfortunately, both stared directly at two industrial sized air conditioners. I assume this room is noisy in summer. I wanted a view and requested something else.

My 2nd room was claustrophobic. I could barely walk in the door. The built-in, artsy wall is a nice touch but shaves another 6-inches off room size. Fit and finish is also quite poor. The tub had a big chunk out of it, cracked tile and a poorly fit faucet. (photo uploaded). The visible wear and tear takes away from the ultra-modern design.

The best part of the hotel is staff. From the booking agent on the phone, to the front desk, to the concierges, they all want to go above and beyond to help... except for the door man. He don't give a shiz.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AdventureArt
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. On behalf of the entire team at W Chicago City Center, I apologize for your recent experience. I do hope you will give us another chance so we may prove to you our commitment to Whatever/Whenever service. If we do have the luxury of welcoming you back, please contact me personally so that I may see you have a flawless escape!

Marketing Manaer

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed here for one night during 4th of July weekend. This hotel has the best of the W Hotel experience like great customer service, comfy bed and city center. The room is nicely decorated, but it is not so trendy that it takes 10 minutes to figure out how to operate the shower. The room and bathroom are rather spacious for Chicago hotel standards.

However, there is one major drawback. It is next to the elevated train. I know what some of you may be thinking. Trains and subways exist in every major city. However, the noise from the train line is overpowering and unbearable. The trains run constantly and the room tends to shake a bit when the train passes. I really liked this hotel, but transferred to another hotel because of the noise.

It's a great hotel, but the train will keep me from staying at this location again.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KMichelleM
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for the candid feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the decor and service of W Chicago City Center but saddened to hear the noise dampened your stay. Please know that we have plenty of rooms away from the train, please contact me direct next time you are in town as I will ensure that you are assigned to a room in a quieter area of the hotel.

Thank you!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The room my husband and I shared on our recent trip to Chicago was about half the size of our bathroom at home. We felt like we were sitting on top of each other all of the time. Too much of the space was taken up to make the room look contemporary and modern - like worthless benches in the room. Perhaps they could've skipped the bench and given us a bathroom suitable for two people to use. I was not impressed with the facility and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer B

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We understand you want to feel comfortable in your room, and apologize the room size did not meet your expectations. We hope you give us another shot, and if so, before you book your next stay we invite you to visit the special offers page on our website. Here you can find packages packed with value - and upgrades!

If you do find yourself back at W Chicago City Center or in the Windy City, please reach out to us in advance so we may prove to you our commitment to Whatever/Whenever service!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Everything about this stay was comfortable and enjoyable. The rooms were comfortable, the location convenient, and the staff great. In particular, the concierge named Eden was fabulous. She was so helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations and transportation within the city. The staff made all the difference. (The big complaint-- no in-room internet!)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank LeilaA

Thank you for the kind words!

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the service and location. Eden is such a wonderful resource - we are so lucky to have her and are delighted to hear she left such a vibrant impression on you!

We appreciate the note on the internet. Be sure to visit our special offers page prior to booking your next visit - we often offer packages that inlude internet in the rate - which we know can be valuable!

Thanks again for the review! Hope to see you soon!