“Excellent Hotel! Lauren at the Desk was Great!”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #108 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I checked into the W City Center in early February for a quick one night stay. Lauren at the Front Desk was welcoming, friendly and professional. She took care of all my questions and provided me with helpful information about the area and the hotel. The room was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. The Restaurant Supervisor at night was also very friendly and had an amazing smile!! Overall, a great hotel and a perfect stay!

Room Tip: Face away from the L for a quieter evening.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

We are so thankful for the feedback on your recent stay and your thoughtful words on Lauren's service! We agree she is a great reflection of our Whatever/Whenever culture - she is incredible accommodating and friendly and we are delighted you recognized her positive energy. We (and Lauren!) cant wait for your return!

Thanks for the kind note!

There are newer reviews for W Chicago - City Center

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Checked in a few days after Christmas. The lobby area was too dark, with dark walls, furniture and lighting. The room was very nice, very modern type furniture and lighting. Liked the sliding door to bathroom. Wish room had a refrigerator that was usable instead of stocked mini bar. Lounge served great drinks and appetizers, although $15.00 for a Hummus appetizer was a bit overpriced, but tasty! Close to Berghoff restaurant and other nice choices.

Room Tip: Ask for highest floor with view, but not of the J. W. Marriott across street. Don't accept hotel...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the note! Please let us know the next time you are in town and if you have a Starwood Preferred Guest profile with us - we will ensure there is a fridge in your room prior to your arrival. See you soon and thank you for visiting us!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

That is how the staff made me feel on a special occasion,starting with Christine the young lady that cheeked me in.But Mr.Innocent all i can say is thank you very much for a great birthday celebration.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Happy Birthday! Thank you for including us on your special celebration. We are so happy to hear that Christine made you feel so welcome! She has such a bright energy and thank you for recognizing her. We look forward to welcoming you back for future celebrations!

See you soon!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel was clean, modern and simply kept well. I stay at many hotels throughout the year and this is a must see or might I say must stay when in the Chicago area. The price is a bit steep but you get what you pay for here! Kudos to the W-Chicago crew!

Room Tip: The higher up the better view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the kind note! We are so proud to hear you felt so comfortable during your time with us! We look forward to welcoming you back - for business or pleasure!

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Stated here in Dec. 2013, the rooms are small didn't remind me of a W but a small boutique New York hotel. I didn't interact with the customer service guest, but the Chinese lady who assist guest was very rude. She might have been having a bad day but it definitely showed.

Stayed: December 2013
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am thankful for your feedback on your experience as it helps us achieve higher levels of service. Please let me know if your travels bring you back through Chicago as I would love for you to experience a more spacious room type as well as our fantastic Whatever / Whenever service.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many times on business trips. The basic room is small, but if you are at the SPG platinum level you are likely to get upgraded. In either case, the rooms are comfortable and clean. I've stayed at other SPG properties in downtown but this is one is my preference for it's convenient access to Union Station and the financial district.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

First may we thank you for your loyalty as a Starwood Preferred Guest! We value your dedication to not just the W Brand, but to Starwood's portfolio of properties. That's a lot of trips to become Platinum! We are so happy to hear you connected with not only W Chicago City Center and its location, but with the W Brand as a whole. We hope your affection for it continues to grow and thank you for your loyalty!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I must begin by communicating my sincere admiration for starwood's W brand. After all, they are a category 7 hotel which puts them amidst the ranks of St. Regis, Ritz and Four Seasons. I've grown to love their modern chic look, feel and attitude. The brand is as much about the service experience as they are about being a trendsetter for what's new and cool. Each W property I've visited over the years (Chicago was my 8th to date) has had a number of unique, special attributes that differentiate it from it's nearby competitors. What is $350/night worth to you? An awesome experience of course!

This is where the W Chicago City Centre misses the mark by miles.

Makes me feel like the edgy, hip and forward thinking masterminds behind the W brand took their eyes off the prize here. The W Chicago is a poor ambassador of the W flag and it's guest experience falls flat...on it's face.

Chicago is truly one of the greatest cities in the world with a plethora of top tier hotel choices available. This should not be one of them.

Reasons to visit:
- great central location in Chicago
- W "scent" which is a brand staple
- great beds, decor and lighting.
- Welcoming lounge / bar upon arrival

Reasons to not:
- tiny, underwhelming rooms and room conveniences
- sub par housekeeping (I arrived to a poorly cleaned room and pile of used towels in the closet that even after two requests, were never removed)
- worst check-in experience I've ever encountered. Setup and staff were sub-par and uninterested
- on site restaurant was terrible--quality of food and service. Definitely not up to W standards.

Overall, my experience at the W Chicago noticeably dented the support and enthusiasm I have for the brand.

That being said, my loyalty is strong enough to give them at least one more try. I'm always willing to pay the premium for an exceptional experience however nothing hurts more than paying the premium and being let down.

Here's to hoping next time is better.

Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank PassionDrivesSuccess

Thank you for your loyalty to the W Brand. I was disappointed to learn of your experience but I am glad you took the time to share your feedback. Please know that I will follow up with my Style team and address your concerns.

I would like to ensure that in the future you have an enjoyable stay with us, please contact me directly the next time you come our way as I would like to ensure you have a sensational experience in our guest rooms and our restaurant.

Thanks you,