“Trendy, creative, convenient location”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #119 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I might not be hip enough for this trendy hotel. Faux fur throw on the bed. Poster that states "Life isn't about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself." The décor is clean, smart, linear and the room includes excellent amenities for the business traveler, like plenty of outlets for laptops, phone chargers, and I-pods. Lots of desk drawers, no drawers for clothes. Large flat screen television, with a chaise set up in front of it - no other seating area aside from the desk chair. Cozy for a couple; a couple of thin people who aren't too tall. Centrally located with easy access to the L train and walking distance to stores and restaurants. Decent fitness center.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for posting such a candid review! We appreciate you providing feedback for other travelers on such important details like the location of the hotel and design of the room. We appreciate your observations and opinions and hope we can welcome you back soon!

Till then!
Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

It was great. The Lobby was for our means to early turned into a club at night and very dark. But the concierege Eden Bernal made all of the difference, she pulled her strings and connection in a very friendly way to fit our group into restaurants even everything was booked! Anything she done for us was very appreciated! Wonderful.
Rooms have different sizes; our twin was wonderful and large!
Yes, you do hear the Looptrains and street noise; but thats part of a great City.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

What wonderful news to hear that both Eden and the city of Chicago left such a charming impression on you. The city has so much to offer and we are delighted Eden could provide you with insider access to it!

We hope to welcome you back soon and we appreciate you taking the time to share you experience with us and your fellow travelers!

Till next time!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Always love my stays at W hotels and this one is no exception.

One issue I had: the heat was blowing cold air...called guest services, waited a while, got call saying entire hotel had some glitch and fixing it with a computer fix, then still blowing cold air, then had to call again, then engineer comes up, etc. I spent half the night trying to get this fixed which was painful.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your loyalty to W Chicago City Center and we appreciate your patience! We know how important it is to get a comfortable nights rest and apologize for your experience. Thank you for alerting us of the issue!

We look forward to having a warm and toasty room for you upon your next visit!

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Though W has defined hip, as one of the first W's this one appears dated. Too dark, worn and the disco ball on the ceiling now just appears cheesy. Good cocktail options but bar is a small afterthought. A renovation is in order that embraces the fantastic original bank that houses the lobby (think banker's bar in Mandarin Barcelona). The rooms are tiny but well appointed with nice lighting and technology (but for the unreadable analog clocks). Ask for an interior courtyard room with no view or the close "L" train will keep you up all night!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations during your recent visit with us! We appreciate your feedback and will take note of your comments to share with our team - it is insight like yours that helps us attain higher levels of service!

Thank you again - we appreciate your loyalty to W Hotels and hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was located in the Loop and very central to everything including the Blue line L train to the airport (Monroe stop). Service, cleanliness and details were all on par with other W hotels that I've stayed in - which is very good!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank offeygurl
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thanks for the glowing review! We are delighted that the location, cleanliness, service and all around W experience was top notch for you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon - hopefully sooner than later!

Till then!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I am a grizzled veteran road warrior. During a particularly grueling month of global travel, I was at the W Chicago, and had run outside to get a big mug of caffeine on a break between conference calls. While running back to my room before the next call started, I passed a W room service team member. He asked how I was, and without thinking I fired back, 'Exhausted, frankly!'

The employee's name is Ephron. Rather than give the typical cursory response, Ephron paused, looked me in the eye, and proactively said, 'What can I do for you? Can I bring you a pot of coffee?' WOW - he knocked my socks off. He actually was - well, empathetic. Kudos to you, Ephron, for making my day a whole lot brighter!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We are so inspired by your interaction with Efren! As a seasoned traveler we know how important it is to feel welcomed and comfortable. It is wonderful to hear that our Talent created such a thoughtful and engaging dialogue with you - we are so happy he and the hotel left an impression on you!

Thank you for taking the time to celebrate our team - we will be sure to share your praises with him and the rest of the hotel. Thank you for making OUR day brighter!

We appreciate your loyalty and hope you are recovering from your extensive travels!

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Upon checking in I was told by an apologetic receptionist that the only room remaining for me was a downgrade to a 'cozy' room. I've often been upgraded by hotels in the last, but this was the first time I've ever been downgraded. In any case I'm from NYC, so figured it couldn't be that bad... Wrong. These rooms are too small and really shouldn't be in use. They offered compensation of free WiFi in return, but my corporate room rate already included that. The somewhat flustered receptionist could only respond and offer some more reward points, which are seemingly worthless.

Then to add insult to injury, upon arriving in the room I discovered that it's overlooking a noisy train line! The combination of minuscule room and noisy train was too much. I called to switch rooms and was told there were simply no other rooms available... Again no compensation or anything offered except a very insincere apology.

Other details of this hotel weren't up to standards either. The walls in the room were marred and scuffed (due to the tight quarters no doubt and an apparently lack of upkeep.) The carpet was rough, worn and gross. And there was no doorman (or automatic doors) to help us though the double doors with our luggage.

I travel frequently and was quite disappointed with this hotel. W's are usually very enjoyable places for me to stay, but this location seems to be an exception. I would recommend looking elsewhere for your stay (perhaps across the street) and/or ensuring that you won't be downgraded to a 'cozy' room during your stay.

1  Thank Benjny

Thank you for the candid feedback. While the historic nature of the building lends to a variety of room layouts. We have different room categories to accommodate different needs and preferences. I would like to ensure that in the future you are in a larger room, as well as a quite one. Please feel free to contact me direct should you need assistance during your future stays.we would love to welcome you back and have you explore some of our upgraded room types.

Thank you for providing your feedback with us,