“Very professional and centrally located”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #104 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
San Francisco, California
“Very professional and centrally located”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The W City Center is no exception from the W hotels' high standards - the service was impeccable, very friendly and extremely professional. The room was clean and stylish, though quite small, and didn't have a full length mirror anywhere. My room also didn't get made in between my 2 night stay, which I found a bit odd. Very comfortable otherwise. Great hotel restaurant (IPO) downstairs, though quite pricey. Solid gym, though small (~6 machines). The hotel is in a fantastic location, making sightseeing in the Loop very convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello! Thank you for your feedback and for your loyalty to W Hotels! I am happy to see that you enjoyed your experience, I am sorry that your room did not get styled, were you enrolled if our Make a Green Choice program? I will be more than glad to look into this for you should you want to contact me direct. Also, in the future we can ensure you are in a room with a full length mirror.

Thank you again for your review! Hope to welcome you back soon!

Alejandra R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Overall, it is a good hotel, great location, great staff, and good for the business traveler. I travel a lot, and find myself expecting certain amenities, and maybe these things may not be as important to others. The W Rooms are small, and while I expect that for certain cities like Chicago and New York, it is still tough when you stay somewhere for 5 days. The bathroom in particular was tiny!! The room I was in could have used a little TLC in terms of design, it was just beige on beige. A little more TLC from the housekeeping would have been nice also, simple stuff like a vanity kit, and a second roll of toilet paper would have been nice. A couple of pluses: Bliss beauty products in the bathroom and the Acura free car service from the hotel from 1-8 pm. Loved it. Again, overall a good hotel, with some room for improvement and a little need for TLC.

Room Tip: You may be given the choice of a room that is either quiet or has more light. Go for the lighter roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to know that you enjoyed your overall experience and appreciate the additional feedback as it will allow us to improve. I would want to make sure you are comfortable during your future stays. Please contact me direct next time you come our way as I would like to ensure you are in a comfortable room and receive the additional amenities you need during your escape with us.

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We flew into Midway, the EL Train is less than 2 blocks to the hotel, and cost $3.50 each to get there. We put $10. on two cards, used them all weekend to get around, and still gave the cards to a young family with fairs on them on our trip back to the airport. The hotel is easy walking distance to the art museum and Lake Michigan. . Thought hotel was great location and value, staff were all fantastic, Starbucks, and great breakfast place 1& 2 blocks towards lake.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 9th floor facing the entrance, and we had no issue with noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hello! Thank you for your comments! Happy to see you enjoyed your escape with us!

See you next time!

Crestview, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The W Chicago overcharged my debit card by $309, and explained that I would be refunded within 30 days. 30 days. There isn't a soul working in the W that has the power to issue an immediate credit back to your bank account. You are also charged the full amount of your stay plus $200 in incidentals upon checking in. You don't sign any paperwork indicating this, and you aren't informed by the hotel clerk. Don't worry though, you'll be refunded that $200 sometime within 30 days. Maybe. Not always.

Hopefully, when turning on your room television, you don't mind being deafened by the default settings. No matter what you do, the television will reset the settings when powered off.

This is an overpriced hotel furnished by IKEA. You'll be worried to use anything in the room due to ridiculous prices. For example, using the room LAN cable costs $25.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sanavabeach
Thank you for your comments. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience. Please accept my apologies for the miscommunication with the debit card authorization, the hold on your card is for authorization purposes only and it's released at the moment of check out. It is up to your bank to release the funds back to the account. I will be more than glad to review your account if this was a different situation.

Please know that although there is a fee to use the internet in your room the charges are lower that what you noted. In the future please feel free to contact us as we will be able to explain the pricing structure. Also, we offer complimentary internet in our Living Room and in the rooms with certain packages and rates. Please visit whotels.com for details.

If you decide to stay with us again please contact me direct as I would like to assist you with your reservation needs.

Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Nashville, TN
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very small for the price. Maintenance is not up to par. Lobby bar is very loud and overpriced. If you are over 40, you will be invisible to the bartenders. You will be charged an extra $200 for incidentals, whether or not you drink the $12 beers from the mini fridge. They get 30 days to refund this charge....no interest will be paid on this loan. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience, I will make sure to share your feedback with our team.

I am sorry there was some confusion with the authorization on your card. This is not an actual charge but only an authorization that is released at check out.

Please contact me direct should you have any further questions. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Alejandra Romero
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was originally on the 12th floor and it sounded like a 100mph wind was swirling around the window once every five minutes. Turns out there is a train at the base of the hotel that runs 24/7. I was moved to a smaller "interior room" on 7th floor w a window. The noise was even louder. The funny thing is billy at the front desk stated when he handed over the keys "we have you in a quiet room, away from the elevators..'

If you want to sleep well, either drink a lot before bed or stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank your for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear about your experience and the move to our courtyard rooms did not provide you with the insulation you needed from the CTA [Chicago Transit Authority]. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team at the hotel. Should we have the luxury of welcoming you back I invite you to reach out to me personally so that I may see we do everything possible to ensure you have a seamless and smooth visit.

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Loved this location. My room was spacious, very W style!!!! The staff was polite and helpful. After many days of travel I was in desperate need of a little relaxing with Laurelin (the concierge) hooked up for me, it really made my stay even that more enjoyed!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We are so excited to hear Laurelin made your stay so memorable! She truly is a breath of fresh air and is incredibly resourceful when it comes to exploring the city. Thanks for the glowing review - we will be sure to share with Laurelin and the rest of our team here.

We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and W Chicago City Center - looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Till then!