“Enjoyable W!”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #118 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was my first time at a W Hotel and my first time in Chicago. I was here for a conference, but my conference was at the Hyatt Regency near Michigan Avenue. It was easy to return to the hotel by train or bus (#151 Sheridan). The hotel is located in the financial & business district, not many residential buildings around and is very deserted at night, but the neighbourhood is very clean and safe. The hotel is nice with lots of charm, not ''cookie-cutter'' at all, which is great! I'm young, but the disco balls in the lobby, the dance music in the elevators with the kaleidoscope patterns were a bit over the top IMHO. As a SPG Gold, I was upgraded to a larger room on a high floor, I was quite happy with my room; clean, modern and comfortable. The W bed is amazing! You do hear the train down below, even on a high floor, but that did not bother me much, this is Chicago and I was expecting it. I did not eat at the hotel, so I can't comment on that aspect. The W Acura Experience was practical. The hotel staff was good & helpful, however I will second the observation of another reviewer, the doormen were oblivious. I would return here and would recommend, but be aware that vibe of the hotel might not be for everyone, some guestrooms can be small and it can be noisy because of the L train. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bose2
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for your comments! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. Hopfully we will welcome you back soon and you will get to experience IPO, our restaurant.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,623)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Well in Chicago again on business. I typically stay at this Starwood property. I am not a big fan of the W chain, maybe because it is a bit too trendy for me, but I am a loyal Starwood person, who has been platinum the last several years. This hotel is right across from the W is fairly new JW Marriott (which I am Platinum also due to Timeshare ownership), which I have also stayed at, but as I said I am loyal to Starwood. Usually I get upgraded to a nice room. This time it was the standard King. I checked in quickly and dropped my bags in the room and headed to a business dinner, by the time I returned it was about 10 pm. Well about 30 minutes later, I hear it. Yes they put me above the elevated platform for the train. One side of the hotel has this and I guess I was lucky. Was I told this when they offered me the room? Of course not. Should they put their best customers on this side? Of course not. As I checked out, I asked for the manager. This young lady needs to go to the Four Seasons of Customer Service. Her first comment to was that one side of the building is by the train. Duh! The manager then asked if I had stayed at the hotel before and knew about the train. I said yes and that I never had been put in a room on the train side. After she finally got the I am sorry, and we will put it in your record, I explained that she needed to start with the I am sorry part and that she could have located my record, and determined I was a repeat customer. I actually don't think she got it. Doing your homework on a customer and starting with I am sorry for the inconvenience would have been much more appropriate. After waking ups several times, I want to warn folks about this. Otherwise this is a fine W hotel in downtown Chicago. Other times I have stayed, there was no problem and my rating would be very good. This time my customer experience was poor and my dealings with management were very poor.

Room Tip: Beware the Train side of the hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gu P
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at the W Chicago City Center at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for your loyalty as a Platinum member and for taking the time to share your feedback. Please know that I was disappointed to hear of your experience and will make sure to follow up with my team.

It will be my pleasure to assist you with future arrangements to ensure that you are assigned in a quieter area of the hotel. Please don't hesitate to contact me direct.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Im a Platinum memeber with SPG for many years. I've become accustomed to upgraded rooms with the SPG brand. No upgrades availible on this trip. The WOW room was average if not dated decor. Everytning worked as it should - TV, AC, Bed comfort, bathroom - no complaints there.

Room Tip: The W hotel is located near the elevated "L" train, so be sure not to accept a room on tha...
2  Thank BMWM5Driver

Hello!

Thank you for your loyalty as a Platinum Member. I am sorry we were not able to upgrade your room, please don't hesitate to contact me direct your business plans bring you back our way should you need anything at all!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Disclaimer: we are way too old to be the target audience for the W Hotel brand. The W vibe is targeted to a much younger, much hipper, much buzzier demographic. That said, we had a very good experience there and would recommend this well-located hotel to anyone -- even people who are as old as or older than we are.

Other reviewers have mentioned the small size of the rooms. Our experience was different. We had a refurbished room on the 22nd floor. Plenty of room. Nicely appointed. Lots of space for stuff in the bathroom. Completely fine.

Other reviewers have mentioned the good service. The service we received generally was excellent. Before our arrival the concierge, Edun, took care of making reservations for us. When we arrived, she greeted us like frequent stayers. While checking in, some unknown staffer brought us tall glasses of ice water. When we asked about where to find the Sunday NYTimes, the concierge arranged to have it delivered and it was at our room at 7am. When we asked about a way to make tea in the room, an entire tea service was delivered -- tea kettle, an assortment of teas, cups, napkins, everything. And fast. When we asked about where to find ice, we were a bucket of ice was delivered to our room since there isn't an ice machine on our floor.

We also got terrific service in the restaurant IPO during breakfast. Our server, Jenny W, was everything you want your breakfast server to be -- friendly, polite, helpful, efficient. Our second morning there she remembered us and even remembered the kind of tea my husband drinks. I'm sure he wishes I would remember the kind of tea he drinks.

There were a few problems. Though our confirmation email said "free breakfast," the hotel takes that to mean a $25 credit. That's not even close and the front desk deleted the extra charges from our bill. I imagine that the email for those staying on the AAA rate will be reworded.

This is a city hotel, it's near the El, and the El is loud. Guess what? The front desk is happy to give you ear plugs. Guess what else? The trains stop around midnight on Friday night and we didn't hear them at all on Saturday night.

The doormen are oblivious. Four doormen on the street; no one to open the door.

These are minor concerns. Go ahead and stay here. Ask for a renovated room. Bring your own earplugs or get some at the front desk. The service will dazzle you.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room. Are you a light sleeper, ask for the highest possible floor.
1  Thank CDinDC20009

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. I was thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your additional feedback as it will allow us to improve.

I will make sure to recognize Eden and Jenny for their efforts.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night for a lymphoma conference at the hotel. Should have known when the front desk staff told me that its a wonderful king size bed facing the alley. As you can see by the pictures and from other posts that I could not pull out the chair from the desk and sit comfortably at the desk because of the bed hitting the chair. You can not move in the bathroom without hitting anything.

Beside the size, the bed was comfy and had a nice flat LCD tv. Good toiletries from their bliss spa.

IPO restaurant, ate lunch on a Friday afternoon, extremely slow service. Food did not arrive until about 45 min after the order. The server was apologetic and kept saying that it should be up shortly which did not happen. However, the mussels were excellent with a definite kick in the chorizo infused broth. The salmon entree was just ok and lacked depth and flavor except for salt.

Meeting area. The room it self was fine, however the corridor where the vendors set up their booths were way to dark. The gothic architecture was interesting and reminded me of the mansion in Underworld movie.

• Stayed: April 2013

Hello,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. I was glad to see that you enjoyed some aspects of your experience but disappointed to learn that we failed to exceed some of your expectations. Please know that we appreciate your feedback and I will follow up with my team.

We recognize that due to the historic nature of our building our rooms vary in size. Our Cozy rooms do offer additional amenities; hopefully you were able to enjoy them.

Should you stay with us again please contact me direct as I will ensure you are assigned to a larger room and that you are comfortable during your stay.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights last weekend - as a Plat I got upgraded to a fabulous room, got free wifi and free breakfast at the IPO restaurant.

Room itself is in good size, I didn't feel small at all - guess it's because it's an upgraded room? While we were lying down on the bed, I actually think the tv is too far away! Bed/ bedding are comfortable as usual. Bathroom is of decent size, but I do think the sink counter is too small for toiletries. The bathroom walls are also showing some age cos the paint on the wall is flaky. The room also faces the streets so we heard noise of the trains. As the frequency of train service is lower at night, I had no problem sleeping.

We did room service twice - we loved the seasonal vegetable soup so much that we ordered two of those the next night. The other stuff (burger and steak and eggs) were just soso.

We came from the west coast and we are two hours behind, so I only made it to breakfast in time in one out of three days. I had juice, pastries, coffee, granola and fruits. Pretty good breakfast - I like the coffee a lot too.

We also tried out the Acura car experience once, it was a breeze.

The downside with this hotel though, there was not anything going on - which is very rare for a W hotel. We tried to go out on Friday night but it was too cold - so we headed back and thought of going to the hotel's bar - it was really underwhelming - it was empty, and doesn't make us want to hang out there at all.

Staff there are all polite and smile a lot, very efficient service. Overall I'd say it should be a nice business hotel, kinda wish there were more happenings though as we were on vacation. No pool or spa (they have in room massages but I'd prefer a complete spa experience like with steam room, nice shower etc)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

W hotels are just cooler than the hotel across the street or around the corner. They know it, the other hotels know it, and there's no use fighting it. You can tell that W management is not simply satisfied by providing a clean, comfortable, carefree stay: they want your stay to be an event. Other high-end hotels (like Ritz Carlton) emphasize luxury and first rate service, and W can match that standard. But W also doesn't approach it the same way. W is young, urban and vibrant - often hosting concerts for the latest up and coming bands. That's their niche, and they do it well. If your tastes are decidedly traditional, than W might not be for you. It is most definitely "the place" for well-to-do, young professionals (and for the not so young, like me, trying to fend off the AARP). Pack your nicest clothes: there's always something happening.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Review Management at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a phenomenal review of the W Chicago City Center. I could not have explained our hotel and company concept better and we really do strive to be unique regarding all aspects of your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the W City Center whenever your travels bring you to Chicago.

Travel safe and travel often,

Dillon Elkin