“Excellent hotel at excellent location”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #105 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent hotel at excellent location”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Thsi hotel is located in Chicago Downtown and at walking distance from The Sears Tower. It is close to magnificent mile. You need to stay at this location if there is any festival or celebration time as Chicago downtown is really good for these days. Very close to navy Pier (10 minutes drive). Rooms are good and bathtooms are excellent. Impressive staff and this hotel will give a feel of real business trip. First floor, which seems most happening is little dark but some people really like that environment. Just one minus point that it is expensive one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing downtown street and not the inner side of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Review Management at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an "EXCELLENT" review of the W Chicago City Center. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our central downtown location and all of the great attractions within a short distance of the W.

It is great to read that you enjoyed our modern rooms which feature many great amenities. What is most gratifying in your review is your mention of our talent members here at the W and how impressive they were throughout your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the W Chicago City Center in the near future.

Review Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Korean first
Kenosha, WI
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This may have been one of the smallest hotel rooms I've stayed in, but everything was used in the space so well, it almost wasn't noticeable. Bathroom was very nice glass/marble, shower only. Great Lemon Basil toiletries. A free drink coupon for one of the $15 specialty drinks at the Living Room Bar was in the room. Check-out is later than usual-noon, which is fitting for the club feel of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a positive review of the W Chicago City Center. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the layout of our hip and modern rooms. There are many different categories of rooms here at the W and all rooms provide the same great amenities. For our guests in one of our "cozy" rooms we do offer the choice of an additional amenity to make your stay even better.

Again thank you for providing us a review of the W Chicago City Center and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are in Chicago next.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the W for 4 nights in Feb 2013. We had a great time. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is great, really close to the train, Willis tower and you can easily walk to Michigan Ave and State St. In some rooms, you can hear the trains, so ask for a room facing the courtyard. We will be back next time in Chicago!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nictuc
WChicagoCityCenter, Review Management at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of the W Chicago City Center. It is always great to read about our guests wonderful visits to the hotel. As you mentioned our location is ideal as we are in the downtown area and close to so many great attractions.

We know there are many choices when it comes to hotels in Chicago and we feel it is our staff that sets us apart. It is so great to read that our "talent members" were so friendly and helpful during your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the W Chicago City Center whenever your travels bring you to Chicago.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the W City Center for a 2 day trip in Chicago. The rooms are on the small side, and although they try to make them trendy, they are still dated. There is a noise factor from the nearby train and it's not ideally situated if you want to spend most of your time on the Magnificent Mile. For anyone not too familiar with Chicago, you should definitely go to eat at the Grand Luxe and Sushi Samba. Great city, average hotel...

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of the W Chicago City Center. I wish that your stay with us was more than average as it is our goal to provide a "Wow Factor" to every guest staying with us.

Our hotel went through an extensive renovation in the past couple of years as well as some of our rooms being brand new here at the hotel. As some of our rooms are facing the street in front of us you can sometimes hear some of the city noises. For the lighter sleeper we do offer noise reducing machines complimentary and all of our outside facing rooms do have sound proof windows to make your stay even more enjoyable. If you are a light sleeper we recommend requesting one of our "courtyard" rooms as those are not facing the street.

If your travels find you in Chicago again we would love to welcome you back to the W Chicago City Center and make sure that your stay is an exceptional one and not just an average one. I invite you to contact me directly prior to your next visit so that I can ensure that it is perfect.

Kindest regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have to admit, I would have given this hotel just an Average rating for a few reasons, including the incredibly small room, and the unnecessary amount of banter from other guests that you can hear through the walls of adjacent rooms. Nevertheless, I'm giving this W Hotel an Excellent rating solely based on the service we experienced during our stay. Let's give it up for the staff, people! Everyone from room service staff to housekeeping was very attentive and helpful...but Eden Bernal was in a class of her own. What an incredible asset to the W hotel this woman is! Seriously, not only was she engaging and polite in a manner that I rarely encounter these days, but she really went out of her way to make sure we had a nice breakfast in the brief time we had before heading to the airport, even using her 'magic' card to secure us a seat at a very crowded and popular diner that's otherwise almost impossible to get into. As promised, we were seated immediately and treated like royalty as soon as the the waitstaff saw Eden's card. It really did work like magic just as she said it would -- I was astounded! I left that place scratching my head. Wow, and what a breakfast that was -- not one I'll soon forget, and literally one of the best I've *ever* had. No joke. As for which restaurant it was, I'm not sure I can divulge that here, but I'm sure Eden will be happy to dispense that information to you along with her warm smile if you ask her. Eden, if you ever find yourself reading this -- I'd like you to know that you REALLY made our day! We'll be back to the W on our next trip to Chicago. See you later!

Tim & Trish

Room Tip: Tip: Ask in advance for a room in a quiet area, and one that has adequate space if there'll be m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We love Westin Hotels, but not this property. This hotel is inside the Loop so if you love the excitement of city life, expect the noise that comes along with it - - but we're okay with that! Kinda like...when in Rome...that's how we travel. Consider the train noise a forewarning if you are a light sleeper. I did okay and my husband just took an over the counter sleep aid.

This hotel is run by a staff of twenty-somethings that seem to have no problem (literally) adopting mostly to the "whatever" part of their marketing slogan "whatever, whenever." A lethargic clerk mixed with club beat undertones of the lobby was kind of like being in an after hours club. It made me sad to see a couple in their late sixties checking in. I almost wanted to urge them to walk across the street to the JW Marriott where they would probably feel less intimidated by the surroundings. I felt even more empathy toward them as they could not seem to figure out the elevator.

Pay attention to the room categories. They are as follows: Wonderful Room. Spectacular Room. Fabulous Room. Cool Corner King Room. Fantastic Suite. Marvelous Suite. WOW Suite.
We got there and were amazed that the size of the Fabulous Room was the size of my walk-in closet. Crazy small. So we asked for an upgrade - even offered to pay the difference - after working with "miss uhhhh whatever" at the front desk, we were sent upstairs to the Marvelous Suite.

It was nice and spacious. Room service was a joke and by that I mean that we waited nearly 90 minutes for a bottle of wine to go with the sushi that we had delivered to the lobby from a nearby restaurant who got there in 15 minutes.

Also, it would have been nice for the front door staff to spray the vomit off the sidewalk near the entry from the night before as we headed out for a morning run. Gross.

We are Westin fans, loyal Starwood members, and Chicago is a lovely city that we visit often. But we won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Just realize that this property is within the The Loop and accept the fact that this train runs ever...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of the W Chicago City Center. I would first like to thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood brand and am pleased to hear that you enjoy our properties wherever your travels take you. I am saddened to read that your overall positive impression of our properties was not the case with the W Chicago City Center. W Hotels is known for being a hip and unique brand with a fresh approach from the more traditional hotel experience.

As we are located in the downtown area we do have an option for our guests to stay in one of our courtyard facing rooms which is away from the usual soft noises of the city around us. What is most concerning however is that you did not have a positive impression from our talent members during your visit. Our team is constantly recognized for their outstanding service and I am sorry to hear that was not the case during your visit.

Although you did not have a positive visit with us, I would like for the chance to welcome you back to the W Chicago City Center in the future and personally welcome you to the hotel and show you the outstanding service and experiences that we are known for.

Kindest regards,

Ale Romero
Director of Operations
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had an excellent long weekend in Chicago and the W City Center was a big part of that. The pre-check in experience was exceptional with correspondance going back and forth from the concierge Eden. I sent her the restaurants we had booked (as we are toatl foodies) to ensure that we were going to have a full culinary adventure. Eden revewed the list and made some recommendations to day otr time change so that we wouldnt be running all over and we could enjoy our time better eating and relaxing. He last minute suggestions were also spot on. We met he several times throughout our stay and she always called me by name and went to extra mile to help out. I observed this with he interaction with other hotel guests as well. The room and W expereince was on par if not slightly better than others in terms of the locations, rooms and so forth. The bar had knowledgable and genuine service. This W feels a little more grown up which is fine by me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple