“Cool hotel, not sure if I was cool enough for it.”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #108 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great location in the Loop, easily accessible by car or public transport. Close by many good restaurants and attractions, including the Art Musuem right down the street.

Rooms were clean and relatively modern, albiet with small bathrooms at least for my inside-facing room. Lobby trendy, but very dark and claustrophobic. Was very hard to negotiate through the crowds to the elevators at night without getting a drink spilled on me.

Staff responsive and trained, with the aid of modern technology, to respond to you by name. Only quibble was the doorman's over-use of a shrill whistle to call down taxis, which is annoying at street level and could be heard at night from my fifth-floor room.

All-in-all, it was a cool and trendy hotel but I probably wasn't cool enought for it at my ripe old age.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 21, 2012

After the dump that is the Tremont, the cramped Westin Michigan Ave, the nauseatingly musty Westin River North, the sad old Sheraton east of Michigan Ave., and the embarrassingly dilapidated W Lakeshore, I had all but given up on Starwood in Chicago. But this W City Center is quite nice! The rooms are clean and modern, service is good, and I enjoyed my stay here. Good value for the money. Only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is internet that drops every 15 minutes. Frustrating when you're trying to do work! Also, location is a snore at night; it's a $7 cab ride to the good restaurants, which are all north of the river.

Room Tip: The subway can be loud. Get a courtyard facing room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler-313-212-415
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I am a bit delayed in writing this but fell compelled to give credit where credit is deserved.
I stayed at the W Hotel in August and found comfort and exceptional service not often found.
I travel domestically and internationally 9 months out of each year and must truly complement the staff at the W hotel Chicago on a job very well done. The cleanliness and comfort my room and the rooms of the other 6 guests in my party exceeded the standards of most other 4-5 star hotels I've stayed in. The hotel staff bent over backwards to accommodate our needs and to straighten out some self inflicted issues we had with our reservations. I'm a very picky and critical individual when it comes to hotels and eateries, but the staff of the W exceeded even my expectations. I have to give this hotel very high marks.This is now my preferred hotel in Chicago and I look forward to trying other W hotels in other cities.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank O2006
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Thank you TK for the tip on Riccardo Trattoria! They had great food and wine and the waiters great too! Next time we travel to Chicago we will stay at the W Hotel and hope to see you again TK.

Greg & Susan Chase

Room Tip: South side
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the W Chicago - City Center as part of a weekend getaway during November, 2012. The welcome desk (Breanne) was extremely friendly and helped us quickly check in (to an upgraded room, no less) despite having a completely full hotel. In addition, as a surprise congratulations on our new house, she had a bottle of sparkling wine sent up to our room.

I can't praise the concierge desk enough, either, since we were in town on a Saturday, hadn't made reservations, and yet she found us some at a very nice restaurant within a mile.

Finally, the room/setting/amenities were outstanding. The rooms were clean, very well appointed and, although it seems a little silly, having bath robes was a nice touch when you're spending a weekend relaxing out of town. Fully recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justin G
Reviewed November 17, 2012

In loop area, close to willis tower, art institute, elevated train, which caused noise in the room. Lobby area nice for drinks, good vibe. Staff friendly. Had one hick up, with wrongful billing. Fitness limited with few stations. Room smallish for us standard, tiny bathroom. Although not bad, i would not stay here again. Restaurant for dinner quite good light modern food

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank panda58
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Eden made my mom and other family members feel like roalty. The rooms look absoloutly amazing. Very modern and confortable. All the staff were very friendly and most accomadating. The location is perfect. Around the corner is willis tower (Must see).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family