“Awesome”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #115 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a great experience at the W City Centre. The staff was extremely friendly and informative. TK (concierge) gave us great advice on where to go for breakfast (Lou Mithcells), brunch (Yolk), and lunch (Poag Mahones). She even had chocolate strawberries sent up to our room :). My only complaint is that the rooms didn't have free wi-fi...you had to go down to the lobby...bummer. Besides that we thoroughly enjoyed the room, hotel and our entire Chicago experienc!

Room Tip: Not sure which side we were on but it was kind of noisy with traffic sounds.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed for 2 night in this Chicago hotel and loved every single aspect of my stay.

It is a very modern, nicely decorated hotel, great restaurant and bar.

The rooms were exceptionally clean and the service was great. The location is also great.

The concierge even arranged a very last minute limo service for me. Thank you TK!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The W Chicago City Center was the most perfect place to hold my wedding. I am an event planner by profession so my standards and attention to detail are abnormally (and sometimes even annoyingly) high. The reputation of the property and my past experiences working professionally with my Catering Manager, Shannon Braniff, lead my husband and I to choose the property for the big day.

Planning was easy and Shannon kept me at ease and happy through the whole process. From customizing a menu (thank you Chef Trevor…delish), working with décor ideas (thank you to PSAV for their wonderful lighting) and finalizing all the notes the week of the wedding, she and the team were great partners.

The big day finally arrived and we had a wonderful suite for the bridal party to prep and enjoy the day in. Every staff member I encountered greeted myself and the guests with a smile on their face and an answer to every question. Shannon and the electricians even jumped into last minute action when I asked to move a few things around before opening the reception doors.

As I said, I may make planning easier seeing as it is what I do but I know at times, my intricacies make things more difficult. The team was exceptional, Shannon a rock star, and the property, a perfect place to spend the most memorable night of your life!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I think this was once a beautiful building, but the present decor in the front lobby is anything but inviting...rather it is noisy, cluttered and the present decor fights with basic charm of the lobby. It is necessary to wade rough this to locate the check-in area. The young woman who checked us I was very pleasant. Our room was extremely small, the closet was small and crowded with a safe and an ironing board making it difficult to find space for long hanging garments. We had to request an in-room coffee pot and supplies for it were only replenished when you specifically requested them. This is an expensive hotel, but we did not feel the surroundings or service warranted the cost of rooms.

Not to be totally negative we received wonderful service from the concierge, Eden Bernal, whose services we used several times. She was very personable, efficient and accommodating...a real asset to this establishment. We also made use of the complimentary shuttle service provided by the Acura company...both cars and drivers were of the highest quality.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Front Office Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent escape. I wanted to apologize it was not a wow one that we usually provide to all of our guests. I am sorry that you had trouble locating the welcome desk and that someone was not able to guide you in that direction when you first arrived. If you would please contact me at brian.herro@whotels.com, I would like to update your preferences to ensure that on any future visits, you are provided a room that is both larger and has a bigger closet. I will also note your request for a coffee maker as we provide those upon request, but can have one waiting for you in your guest room.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the windy city to give us another try to truly provide you with the W experience we are know for.

Regards,
Brian

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Not like other W hotels, this one is less amenity rich. No spa and small fitness center, it is in a beautiful renovated building. Great location since its a little closer to the convention center than the other W in town, but the surrounding neighborhood isn't the best. The bar is nice though, they pour with a heavy hand! Great staff, as expected for the W. if you are looking for the W feel without the spacey look, this is a great fit. If you want a more - dare I say traditional - W hotel, probably the one at Lakeshore is your speed.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am appalled that the Starwood brand would keep this hotel in their portfolio. I endured 2 terrible nights at this hotel in November for a business conference. When travelling for business the most important things to me are a quiet room, a comfortable bed, and a decent bathroom/shower. The W failed on all 3 counts. In my room, I can hear the guy next door as if he is standing next to me, gurgling in the morning, snoring at night and generally any movement. Also, hearing doors slamming all through the evening was particularly jarring to my sleep. The room is very small, which i normally don't mind, but the layout with the bed makes it impossible to get around the bed without hitting your shin, foot or knee. I also loathe showers that have no water pressure and this one was had a very weak stream.
While the location is good, I would not recommend this hotel for family, business or leisure travel.

Room Tip: Dont expect to get a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at The W city centre Chicago from November 2 to November 4th but my experience started before that. Laurelin got in contact with me almost a week before my stay and informed me of some of the things to do around the hotel as well as arranged an early check in for me. The early checkin was great because I had been driving all night and it was nice to get up to the room right away. Once there I got to meet Laurelin in person and she told me about the fantastic architectural tour and was able to book me a spot as well as recommending an excellent pizza restaurant. The rooms were very clean and very luxurious even for standard rooms. Since I was there during the day daylight savings was happening it was really nice to get a memo from housekeeping about the change. The valet parking was great too and I took advantage of the in and out privileges to see some things a bit further away. The W city centre Chicago was a great experience for me.

• Stayed: November 2012