“Great hotel, with great employees, in a great city.”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #115 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 19, 2012

After my plane was delayed and I was super frustrated, it was great to come into such a nice hotel. It was such a nice change of pace from the normal, impersonal hotel experience.
Steven, the front desk employee went out of his way to put me in a better mood, and it certainly worked!
Then, the rooms were beautiful and very well styled. I stay in many hotel rooms across the country and it's so nice to not have to worry about whether or not your room is clean. It was spotless. Comfortable. Had all the amenities.
Great experience with this hotel. I'm totally recommending it to others and my family in the city.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The experience should be on everyone's bucket list. Eden Benal, the concierge, was terrific. She could not have been more helpful and did not cross that annoying line. Parking, while expensive, made easier with fax retrieval of car. Spent the weekend involving the ND v. Miami game and the Chicago marathon. Lots of people. No problems. Cudos. I"ll be back.

Room Tip: Chicago is tough sleeping with the el so try to get a room located furthest from the tracks, so, yea...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was in Chicago for business over the weekend and had never stayed at this hotel. First off, let me say that the staff is very professional and helpful. The hotel is converted from and old post office and has a certain charm to that. I have never stayed at a W hotel before and was not prepared for all the purple and mirror ball lighting and the constant noise from music and younger guests that stream in and out constantly. The W brand is just not my thing and maybe my review rating is unfair. As a business traveler, there was not place to get away from the crowd, lights and noise except my room. Also, I was not used to the "W speak"...they have adopted a Starbucks approach to hospitality and the bellman becomes an ambassador and the lobby is a living room. The rooms were comfy and well appointed; the bathroom and products were great. I suspect over the weekend this place becomes crazy as the rates drop and younger crowds come from the outer suburbs for a weekend of partying. I might have another opinion had I stayed mid-week. The location is good. I did find the concierge service severely lacking in knowledge as to surrounding restaurants, services, bus/train schedules and ended up eating in some pretty average places. I did have to lodge a complaint that there was a drunken party two night in a row across the hall making it impossible to sleep. I did call and eventually they escorted the guests out. Also, keep in mind half the rooms face a dark inner courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and rooms facing the outside rather than the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

While in Chicago for a wedding recently, we had the chance to stay at the W Chicago - City Center. Overall the experience was very positive. The hotel has a distinct decor and flavor that is very different from some of the other traditional high-end hotels I have stayed at recently. The lobby had a upbeat and artistic design that was reflected by the rooms at the W. Our rooms was well appointed with unique decor and lighting. I am not sure what the exact title for the room was, but it was a standard double room with two full size beds. Plenty of room in this room with space to move about. Beds were very comfortable, although I can never figure out why hotels insist on putting full size beds in a room when they could certainly have queen size beds in the room -- other than an attempt to make more money. Aside from that minor issue, the rooms were clean and an excellent place to stay in downtown Chicago. The location is very close to the Willis Tower (can't we just call it the Sears Tower to avoid my aged confusion, please), State Street, Michigan Ave. and the Chicago train stations. Area around the hotel seemed to be very safe during the daytime and it is well served by cabs and other public transportation. Parking was a bit expensive...but I guess this is downtown Chicago, so one should expect that type of extra fee. Would definitely consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stephen provided excellent customer service on my stay this week in Chicago. The entire city was sold out and he found a room for me upon my late arrival. Albeit a room no one else would choose, I very much enjoyed the accomodations. The hotel was only three blocks from the office, any other alternative and I would have been in the burbs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My adult son and I took a weekend trip to Chicago to see a couple shows and museums. I am cheap and prefer to stay out in the suburbs and drive in, but I agreed to my son's request that we stay downtown. I had never stayed at a W hotel before, so I found the atmosphere somewhat unusual, but the location was prime (walking distance from everything we wanted to see), the employees were helpful, and the room was starkly modern, but luxurious. My son had emailed with questions ahead of time, and had always gotten prompt and thorough responses from Laurelin. I still think it is a crime to pay over $250/night for a hotel room (and this was at a discount), but it definitely was nicer than some other hotels in downtown Chicago that cost almost as much. It was also only a short walk to rail and El stations, so we were able to easily take the train to and from the airport (a bargain at $2.25!) I was also able to fulfill my cheap side by buying breakfasts and snacks at the nearby Dunkin Donuts and 7-11.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here on the night before setting out on route 66. Although it took us an age to get the lifts working (due to our room key not being coded correctly), once in the room, we were pleasantly suprised by the decor and the comfort of the furnishings. The hotel is in a nice location, only a few minutes from the Willis tower, a must see, (providing you are willing to queue for so time) and only a few blocks down from the millenium park. Overall a really nice stay, pleasant staff and a comfortable room to boot, highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple