“Interesting and helpful”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #120 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My adult son and I took a weekend trip to Chicago to see a couple shows and museums. I am cheap and prefer to stay out in the suburbs and drive in, but I agreed to my son's request that we stay downtown. I had never stayed at a W hotel before, so I found the atmosphere somewhat unusual, but the location was prime (walking distance from everything we wanted to see), the employees were helpful, and the room was starkly modern, but luxurious. My son had emailed with questions ahead of time, and had always gotten prompt and thorough responses from Laurelin. I still think it is a crime to pay over $250/night for a hotel room (and this was at a discount), but it definitely was nicer than some other hotels in downtown Chicago that cost almost as much. It was also only a short walk to rail and El stations, so we were able to easily take the train to and from the airport (a bargain at $2.25!) I was also able to fulfill my cheap side by buying breakfasts and snacks at the nearby Dunkin Donuts and 7-11.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here on the night before setting out on route 66. Although it took us an age to get the lifts working (due to our room key not being coded correctly), once in the room, we were pleasantly suprised by the decor and the comfort of the furnishings. The hotel is in a nice location, only a few minutes from the Willis tower, a must see, (providing you are willing to queue for so time) and only a few blocks down from the millenium park. Overall a really nice stay, pleasant staff and a comfortable room to boot, highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Although I only stayed 1 night at the W Chicago City Center for business, the service I received there made my stay memorable. Check-in was smooth and easy. Was welcomed by the very friendly gentleman at IPO who made the best cappucinos! Thank you! My room (spectacular king) was well-appointed with everything I needed and was very spacious. We were there for a meeting and arranged transportation thru the W's concierge, Eden. Eden was very responsive, knowledgeable and informative! She did a great job with ensuring all our participants were taken care of. Also, Lucy from the banquets staff did an excellent job with servicing our group dinner and our meeting. Dean from PSAV was also very helpful and quick to respond to our requests.
- Unfortunately, the meeting space of the 2nd and 3rd floor needs updating. The hallways need to be made more aesthetically pleasing - a change of carpet, wallpaper and lighting might do the trick.
- The Great Rooms and Work Rooms are much better event spaces than Industry and the Studios.
Overall, great stay! Would bring a meeting to the W Chicago City Center again in the future!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a fantastic stay. The hotel is clean and comfortable. But perhaps most importantly, the staff were excellent. Upon arrival, the Concierge (I think her name was Eden) immediately helped book us an architectural tour at a discount and then arranged to have us driven (for free) to where the tour started since we only had 15min to get there. Now that is customer service!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the W Chicago - City Center. Yes they wowed us...everyone from the valet parking guys to Laurelin, the concierge that spend some time finding a great comedy club for us in the area and booked it for us.; this was the best, friendliest service we received from a hotel in years! The lady at the desk when checking in asked if we were here for any reason and when we told her it was our anniversary she upgraded our room size with a very warm congrats...people, it's the little things like that that just makes your day. We even had a quick drink ( from a free drink card they gaves too ) at the bar and even the bartender was super nice, asking us question about where we were from, have a great time in Chicago etc... Wow! The room was nice; the toilet was in a tight fit spot, but overall cool looking room....the W wowed us.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Amazing Hotel, Amazing Service & Amazing People made it a very special stay. Highly recommended. For a relatively small hotel, the styling was lovely, however this was made up for by the room design and typical W flare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the centre of the building for piece and quietness.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

From the moment my check-in started to go side ways due to a stolen credit card; the W Staff jumped into awesome mode! They did everything they could to help me secure my reservation. Their demeanour and attention was second to none!
The spacious room was breath taking, the soft shower and even softer bed left me feeling as though I was sleeping on air.
The lobby was an event in itself... and most of all the bar was welcoming and decorated tastefully!
I owe such a debt of gratitude to the night manager Lauren, and most of all the doorman Darryl... he knows everything about Chicago!

Room Tip: The back of the hotel is open to a court yard, try and choose the side not facing across to the offi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo