“Great stay @ W City Center - Chicago”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #105 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Sacramento, California
“Great stay @ W City Center - Chicago”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Hotel was great as always expected!!! From the moment the doormen open the doors upon arrival, to the mood generating music, the quick and attentive check-in, this is how it should be done. With some extra help from Laurelin (a W Insider - a best kept secret - ask for her), I was able to get everything I needed for a successful, productive, and relaxing trip. TK also helped me find a rental car nearby that was super convenient. I've been wanting to try the Lakeshore W but keep coming back to the City Center location for the superb service and amenities. Oh yeah, IPO restaurant downstairs has a killer French Toast too!!! I always look forward to staying at W City Center when in Chicago.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My sisters and I stayed at this hotel for nearly a week -- it was a destination race for us, running the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago Half Marathon, and then exploring the Windy City.

Efficient Check-in Staff
Immediately upon check-in, there was a snafu and the room assigned to us was a single bed! Despite the hotel being rather busy (nearly fully-booked), the manager corrected the matter and we got our double-bed room (albeit it was an accessible room, i.e., no tub). During the entire ordeal, the staff remained professional and extremely patient with our tired (and maybe catty) selves. A day after our run, my sis wanted to soak her tired muscles after the mad weekend and they were able to find us another room with a tub. Now that’s being accommodating!

Concierge
From my experience, the concierge at other hotels feel like they're all that (snotty and/or pretentious!), but not the lady that helped us on three different occasions. One instance, we were running late to catch a Sunday mass and the church we originally found via Masstimes.org was 7 blocks away! Enter Eden (the concierge lady) who helped locate a church that was closer (2 blocks). With her easy-to-follow directions, we arrived with enough time to catch our breaths before the service began. Eden was friendly, engaging, and sincere – you did not feel like you were speaking with a stranger whom one had just met, but a friend whose opinions you value (again, without all being pretentious!) Other concierges should follow suit.

Staff
From the men who opened the doors or hailed a cab for us, to the girl behind the bar and the bar manager who explained the local brew, to the Acura driver, to the speedy service of the Whenever/Whatever team, we felt like the staff went above and beyond to make our stay quite relaxing and enjoyable.

Rooms & Hotel Ambiance
Distinctive W-style-- loved the whimsy, yet classy feel of Living Room, and appreciated the clean contemporary décor in our two rooms. Overall, it was comfortable and spacious.

…so, why not 5 stars? Sound Polution!
Not their fault, but being at the City Center also meant that one could hear the occasional emergency vehicles that traveled through the streets in the middle of the night. Though not as loud or often as when we stayed at the Westin in Gaslamp San Diego, I was still surprised at how the sound went through the windows at the 16th and 19th floors at this W City Center. Then, the night before our race, the still night was plagued by loud music and rowdy guests from the room(s)? on our floor. I understand that the W is more of a chic and trendy hotel, but this went on for hours before the offending guests were finally silenced (or kicked out?) By then, it was 5AM, and it was time to get ready for our race anyway!

We didn’t get to see everything we wanted to see in Chicago, which means we’re bound to return to this marvelous city. As long as the superb staff remains, we’ll be booking once again at this hotel, and hoping for less sound pollution drawbacks. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Our concierge, Eden Bernal, was VERY accomodating and friendly, as were all of the check-in hotel employees. The room was extremely clean and exceeded my expectations. In addition, the "anytime" service proved to be impressively fast in response time, for:

- directions
- room accessories
- suggested dining locations nearby

Finally, the Acura Experience driver at W City Center (Mike) was very friendly and polite.

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Needed a room overnight for a concert. I booked our stay thru Expedia. We arrived. The lobby was very nice and clean. The staff - very professional. The room - well, small and not worth $225. The room was across from the elevator (my guess because we booked thru Expedia). My girlfriend got stuck in the bathroom because the bathroom door handle was broken. If I had not been in the room she would have been stuck in there until I returned. This set the tone for the weekend. The deskclerk was apologetic the following morning but for $225 there are much nicer hotels in Chicago.

Room Tip: Book direct.
1 Thank NDPatriot
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hello!

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I was happy to hear that you found our hotel to be nice and clean and that our talent members were professional. I am sorry for any inconvenience the issue with the WC handle may have caused. Please know that I will be more than glad to personally assist you with your reservations next time you are in town to ensure you are assigned to more comfortable accommodations.

Thank you!
Alejandra Romero- Director of Operations
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had a great stay at the W Chicago; what a beautiful hotel. TK (concierge) made it even better by giving us advice on where to go for dinner (Cafe Spiaggia)..they even had gluten free pasta. The food and service was excellent with a table by the window to watch Chicago walk by. Then we went to The Drawing Room for drinks after seeing Rock of Ages. Wow the best drinks we have ever had and what a great time watching the bartenders create! The bartenders ask you questions and then create a drink for you based on your answers. Flavors put together that excite your taste bud!. Thanks TK! Steve and Gilda

Room Tip: I don't know if there was a pool or spa; we didn't have time to explore so please disregard...
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had a lovely 4-day stay at the W, thanks in large part to the exemplary customer service provided by TK Karadzovski and Eden Bernal. Both went above and beyond to ensure that out stay at the hotel was enjoyable, and that our activities throughout the city - meals, architecture tours, museum visits, baseball games - were pefectly planned. We loved the location and would definitely stay again thanks to TK, Eden and the rest of the amazing staff.

• Stayed July 2012
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2012

To start off, I have never stepped foot inside the W Chicago - City Center, however the service I have received thus far has been nothing but amazing. I spoke to Vanessa and she has been helpful, kind, courteous, and most importantly patient with all my requests to surprise my fiance with an amazing welcome gift for her bachlorette party. She made suggestions and provided me with ideas that I couldn't have dreamt of. Vanessa also made it clear to me that she would be on vacation, but the staff would have detailed instructions of how to present all the items and from what I have heard, it has been phenomenal. Thank you so much to the W staff, you have surpassed all my expectations!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends