“Layover Heaven”

Tortas Frontera by Rick Bayless
Ranked #378 of 9,614 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Neighborhood: University Village / Little Italy
Description: Located in Terminal 1 on Concourse B in Chicago International Airport.
NYC
“Layover Heaven”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Eating here makes hanging at the airport a worthwhile endeavor. I've never had better food at an airport and look forward to getting back there soon.

Don't go for the atmosphere or the slightly elevated prices -- enjoy the food. I had the Pepito sandwich (beer-braised beef short ribs, jalapeños, Chihuahua cheese, black beans, cilantro crema, arugula) and can't wait to get back to Terminal 1!

• Visited December 2013

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Best food that I have had an airport”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

As I wandered around O'Hare Airport early one morning looking for a place to eat something healthy until my connecting flight left, I came across Tortas Frontera. I recognized Rick Bayless' name and thought I would try it. I had the egg torta with bacon and arugula. It was piping hot and absolutely delicious! It was very satisfying and filling and held me through the rest of the day until I reached my destination that evening. Quite a pleasant surprise to find quality food at an airport. It cost around $10 - is this expensive for an airport? Compared to MacDonald's yes, but it is more satisfying and filling than a Big Mac.

• Visited November 2013
Universe1
“Ok but somewhat diappointing”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Decided to stop here for a pre flight snack and drink and whilst i got that it was somewhat disappointing. The service from the waiter was efficient and friendly however to have my snack literally thrown down at me by the busboy was outrageous. The food was ok (open sandwich ), it was tasty but not wow! For a small establishment it had a good selection of beers on tap and a good range of spirits. I wont rush back though.

Thousand Oaks, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best airport food in the country”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Seriously. The food here is incredible (I am partial to the Pepito torta), they have a full bar with awesome margaritas, and a tv for sports if you want. Just spent a 4 hour layover here talking to the nicest bartender/manager I've seen in a restaurant.

Morris NJ
“Breakfast-Not too Good-But I am hopeful”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Cool place though. Big fan of Bayless. I always go thru here but never stop and eat. I had what can best described as a breakfast pizza-Torta. Tres Queso. It was in the heater. Big mistake-it was hard and crusty. Cheese was a bit hard-like it had been in there too long. Now I hear their Tortas are tops. I will go back next time and get lunch. I know it was a one time mishap. Maybe the last shift did not throw out the old ones. Killer Mango Lime Juice though. For someone like Bayless-definitely give it another try.

• Visited November 2013