“Excellent Takeout Option When Connecting At ORD”

Tortas Frontera by Rick Bayless
Ranked #335 of 9,520 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: University Village / Little Italy
Description: Located in Terminal 1 on Concourse B in Chicago International Airport.
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
“Excellent Takeout Option When Connecting At ORD”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The small establishment next to Gate K4 has a small eat-in counter and an attached bar, but so long as my connection has the ten to fifteen minutes it takes to have the meal prepared this has become my usual place to grab something to take aboard my next flight when an American Airlines itinerary has me changing planes at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Mexican-inspired soups, sandwiches and salads freshly made when ordered and packaged for on-board eating. Excellent food that's decidedly superior to anything sold at the nearby food court, yet offered at a comparable price.

• Visited August 2013

chicago, IL
“1000 times better than McDonalds!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Went here for breakfast and it was fantastic! Still thinking of the spicy garlic mayo! Can't wait to fly again!

• Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food but Where's the Health Department?”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The food here is delicious. In fact I fly through Chicago O'Hare weekly and almost always make a stop here.

However, the dining room is always filthy. Why doesn't the Health Department come and close them down? I'm sure the kitchen is fine, but the dining area is not even fit for my dog. The tables are always filthy and the as for the floor be careful where you walk.

Every time I come I have to ask someone to wipe my table. (They don't have someone assigned to the dining room. They have to pull someone from their kitchen prep job to attend to the dining area). I'm appalled at how many people just sit down without asking the same. Come on people, you are paying $12 for a glorified twist on a taco, so why don't you expect to have them keep their dining room to that same level of expectation?

Today I just about had it because AFTER the girl wiped my table, it was still covered with crumbs. And the crumbs that were wiped were pushed right into my lap.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent - for airport food”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Frontera was recommended by a foodie friend who lives in Chicago. The artisan bread is perfectly toasted. The ingredients are quality, flavorful, and balanced. The guacomole is delicious with the lightly salted tortilla chips. The flavored aguas were way too sweet and sugary for my taste. I've been back twice since my initial visit and recommend this place!
I've read a few other reviews slamming this place so having realistic expectations is important if want to enjoy it. 1) Keep in mind that it is airport food which is typically horific so this comparatively awesome. 2) It is fast casual- expect to wait 10 minutes for your food and seating is tight so you may need to take it to go. 3) You'll spend about 15 -20 dollars but its worth it considering fast food will run you about 10 dollars. 4) suspend what you typically expect of Chef Rick Bayless other restaurants and keep in mind the previous 3 points. This is one of the better airport eateries on a budget!

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“Spicy sauce.”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I ordered a pork torta and a juice. I took a bite of the sandwich and thought it was very good. I decided to dump a large spoonful of the sauce that came with it onto my sandwich. Wrong move. I should have tasted it before I poured it all on. It was spicy! My mouth was burning and I had to down my juice and all my water. I was contemplating buying some milk to calm my taste buds but I could barely speak. Lesson learned. Next time, I will skip the sauce.

Visited April 2013