“Will be back!”

Floriole Bakery
Ranked #22 of 267 Bakeries in Chicago
Cuisines: Cafe, French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Chicago, Illinois
“Will be back!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Perfectly located close to the intersection of Webster/Racine this Cafe/Bakery is walking distance from Armitage or Fullerton. It is pretty spacy. The upstairs location is nice with lots of light coming in through the windows. While very busy on a Saturday morning, you don't feel claustrophobic. A place you can sit and chat the day away. And the food? Oh my! I had a hard time deciding what I wanted and in the end asked a friend to pick out whatever -as it is all so good!

• Visited January 2013

Denver, Colorado
“I didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a real neighborhood gem, serving up wonderful brunch, lunch, coffee and baked goods. They use an abundance of local and seasonal ingredients and the sandwiches, served with fresh greens will melt in your mouth. The ambiance is wonderful - full of light and plenty of room for folks to pass an entire morning without realizing it. I will definitely return!

Visited December 2012
Plainwell, MI
“The best thing my mother has ever eaten in her life.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I searched Chicago to see who is making Caneles de Bordeaux, and it turns out that This is The One Bakery that does. They are every bit as good as the first we tasted at the Ferry Plaza in San Francisco two weeks ago.

A Caneles de Bordeaux is a tiny cake baked in a fluted mold that is more than golden brown on the outside and is airy and custardy on the inside. The flavor of the cake is rum and vanilla. You can eat the small cake in five bites by holding it in the palm of your hand. A fork would smush it. These are best eaten the day they are made. Indeed, I have not found a bakery that ships them. There must be a reason why.

I phoned ahead on a Saturday in July, and they told me they had a dozen left, so they held eight of these for me.

When we arrived by taxi, they had about ten more left, and my mother bought six. She ate one on the spot with her cappucino and said they are the best thing she has ever eaten in her whole life.

When I tasted my first in San Francisco two weeks ago, I proclaimed, "This is the last thing I want to taste before I go to heaven."

You can see that we rate these highly.

I have read that Floriole Bakery is praised for many other things, but we only experienced the very best thing they make, Caneles de Bordeaux.

I cannot find a single place in my home state of Michigan that makes these, but I have ordered the fluted mold in order to learn how to make this delicacy myself.

Visited July 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
“Wonderful bakery with great food and welcoming environment”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Located near the DePaul campus near Lincoln Park, Floriole offers a wonderful place to have coffee, pastries, and a lovely meal. During my visit, I had a wonderful tartine, on crusty bread with wonderful toppings and greens. For dessert, I selected a blackberry lemon tart with latte. And it was magnificent too. The latte was stellar, and the tart divine. The dinning area was open and airy with lots of light, a welcoming space without much fuss. The wait staff was attentive and helpful. There was a selectionn of quiches and sandwiches as well as lovely pastries and breads. As I left, I picked up a baguette, still warm from the oven. Definitely, we need to return and sample other items on the menu.

• Visited July 2012
Milwaukee
“Worth moving to the neighborhood for this”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

What's not to like? Opened by a French Pastry School alumna, this is a place that honors the tradition and standards set by the school. I've had Floriole's quiche and panna cota with fresh berries on earlier visits; this time had a the "B.A.D." sandwich (bacon, arugula, goat cheese with almond date spread) and a plum galette on crusty bread. Terrific!6771ty Service can be a little poky, but it's all in the name of quality over quickness. Clearly popular with the neighborhood yuppies (a few too many armored strollers wheeled in and out of this not-capacious establishment), every neighborhood should be so lucky to have a café of this quality.

• Visited September 2011