“Great value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #92 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Seattle, Washington
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

VERY small rooms. Efficient staff. Great amenity room below the lobby for work space and coffee. Convenient location for south side of downtown loop. Near JW Marriott and W. Request away from the street for less am traffic noise.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Staying in the Chicago Loop is a very convenient location and this hotel had the advantage of not much street noise at night. It's very much a business hotel; rooms are small and the air-con is noisy and struggles to cope - even in the early summer. The bed is very hard. There are no in-room safes which, for a high proportion of business customers, seems very strange. On the plus side, the shower is good - lots of hot water, good pressure, there is a free laundry available to guests (just make sure you get in before the housekeeping staff take over - early morning is best) and some rooms have microwaves and small fridges. The former is a bonus if you like to make yourself a cup of tea and don't want to go to the basement to use the club lounge. For the price, I was expecting more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

The hotel set up and run like an express business hotel but with luxury hotel prices. I think they really cater to the conference crowd and I’m sure no one else in the hotel was paying these prices for such tiny rooms. I’ve posted a couple of pictures, (sorry, didn’t make the bed up, but it wouldn’t make it look any better anyway) to show the diagonal wall creating an 8.5’ x 12’ x 5.5’ box and a floor plan to show the room sizes. It appears to me, but it’s only my opinion, that when they renovated the hotel, they took one large room and cut it in half to create two, you can see from the floor plan how the doors are beside one another in many of the rooms.

I understand that hotels in the downtown core are more expensive because of the real estate, but I really felt that we paid way too much for what we received. For a three day stay we paid $1286.33 which is over $400 a night and for that price I expected a nice room, not a tiny, odd shaped room that you had to scoot around the bed in order to get past the desk; it was much easier to crawl across the bed. I think no one should be charged more then $150 for that room.

The location of the hotel is really good, very close to the Art Institute of Chicago and Millennium Park, many restaurants and jazz clubs are within walking distance. A couple of streets over is the entrance to the subway system, which is easy to use with a ‘wave’ of your credit card (if it has a transponder).

There is so much to see and do in Chicago and you’ll not spend much time in your hotel room except to sleep, but being overcharged for a tiny room does make you feel unhappy when you cross the threshold so we asked to be moved. It was a bit of a challenge as they were ‘full’, but they did accommodate us and the new room didn’t have the awkward layout, so we felt better, but I’ll stay at another hotel on my next visit to Chicago.

Room Tip: Check the floor plan before accepting a room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

It was my first stay in a Club Quarters hotel. My first impression was that the halls were narrow and the lobby was small. However, I realized the building was old but nicely updated. I was curious about needing to use my room key to access other floors on the elevator, but later learned that different amenities are associated with each floor.

The room was well setup for business travelers like myself. The bed and pillows were extremely comfy and I was given an aromatherapy kit for better sleep. The Elephant & Castle restaurant onsite had quaility offerings and my room service order arrived with 18 minutes from ordering. I was also thrilled that I was able to order from a few local pizza/Italian restaurants and have them deliver to my room and automatically bill my room account.

I really liked the large living room in the basement. It was comfortable and homey and had free refreshments and snacks. Finally, everyone on the staff was very friendly and gave me excellent service. I'll return for a stay!

2 Thank Mary N
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

To begin with we had a club size room. I could see this wouldn't do. Because we purchased on Priceline, I called the hotel. They said to call Priceline. I did and was not expecting them to help. They did. They contacted the hotel and spoke with JD. JD made an accommodation for us with Priceline. i called the hotel back and spoke with JD.

When we checked in JD was at the desk. He made sure all went well. The rooms (we had 2) were very nice, clean and spacious enough to accommodate our two 6'5" grandsons. A queen bed and a very nice pull out sofa. The attached restaurant is also very nice. And it's an excellent location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Small...that's the first thing that comes to mind when rating this hotel. All the reviews were correct...the rooms are very small! The parking garage is a few blocks behind the hotel so be prepared to walk with luggage, leather jackets and motorcycle helmets. The hotel does validate parking which gives you about $ 14.00 off from $ 60.00. They do have valet parking (I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU USE IT) Unfortunately, they can't valet motorcycles.

I chose this hotel because of it's proximity to Route 66 and the sights I wanted to take in. Other than the small room and inconvenient parking, this hotel had everthing I needed. The rooms were clean, the staff was great, self check in and out was quick and painless.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Club Quarters is nice in that it is a bit different. The front desk staff was very friendly. They have an easy self-checkin process which I did not use because I was not aware of how it worked. Instead of showing me, the front desk folks walked over to the kiosk and checked me in. The room I had (1034) was a corner room with a nice view BUT was quite small and not well laid out. The TV was small, the channel guide inaccurate and poorly positioned. While I could see the TV from the bed, I like to have it on if I order room service and watch. The desk was too small for the room service meal as well. The problem is, the desk faced away from the TV. I did like the number of outlets for charging electronics. They also offer bottles and filtered chilled water on every floor. But would be nice if there was a refrigerator in the room to keep it cold. The bottles smelled a bit odd too. I was also disappointed when I was leaving at 8 in the morning and asked for a clean towel to be delivered to my room. When I return 3 ½ hours later, the towel had never been delivered. Perhaps my biggest complaint was directions. I asked three people where the closest CTA train entrance so I could go to O'hare was. I got three different answers. The location was good and it is near the Blue Line train to O'Hare (it turned out). The security is also good. This would have been average were it not for the fact it is different than your standard chain hotel. But the small rooms, laid out poorly in some cases-but there are other things I liked like the plugs and the thermostat which can be adjusted while in bed.

Room Tip: They told me I was in a standard room-the second largest. I would opt for their largest room as I f...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles