All reviews shops at north bridge spg property beautiful hotel fire pit michigan avenue lobby bar art deco rooms are spacious favorite hotel front desk staff the entire staff business trip an upgrade the magnificent mile the location is perfect the loop navy pier
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Everything was as you’d expect, nothing took me by surprise or had a particular “wow factor”. Restaurant in the hotel lobby is nice and rooms are a good size. Location is also good and staff are friendly.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this hotel to see downtown Chicago and go to a baseball game. It was a great base for our adventures. Lots of shopping and great restaurants within a short walk. Great location. We took the water taxi from the train station to get to the hotel, and that was fun. I would note the food and drinks at the hotel restaurant/bar were very expensive in relation to the local area. You are better off, in my opinion, to leave the hotel to eat and drink. The rooms had some unusual artwork, but nice. Watch your bill - we had a charge for valet, but as mentioned, we did not drive a car to the hotel. When I pointed that out, it was quickly remedied.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2019

I loved my stay at The Gwen and would highly recommend the hotel to business or leisure travelers. Check in, check out and any services I received from the staff were excellent. Everyone is professional, friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is very clean. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and the entire hotel had a luxury feel. I was there for a conference on site. The meeting spaces were nice as well and the food served was great. We had lunch salad buffets with amazing soups. Breakfast buffets were pretty great too.

My only complaint is the street in which you enter the hotel is a little sketchy. You enter on the lower level which is under some underpasses. Some of the people down there were questionable. But the hotel is super close to a Target for all of your essentials and it was a .8 mile run down to the lake walk for a great run. It's also attached to a mall and Nordstrom is only steps away (through a skyway)!

Would highly recommend!

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2019

We got married in June 2019 at the Gwen. The venue is stunning with ceremony and reception options on their outdoor terraces and/or banquet rooms. The Gwen Lux Suite and Terrace sold us on this hotel over several other great hotels in Chicago.

After receiving solid service from the Gwen in the early stages of planning, there were a few snags along the way with turnover of staff. However, Vasso became our new contact 30 days prior to the wedding and was absolutely on-point. She provided excellent, high-touch service and was in constant communication in the weeks leading up to the wedding.

On our wedding day, Vasso made sure that we had everything we needed as bride and groom throughout the morning, afternoon and evening (and that our children did as well). We did not hire a day-of coordinator given our wedding of 45 guests, and Vasso proactively assumed that role. Vasso figures out how to get things done, big and small, and is a true professional.

Aside from the outstanding service, stellar views, and beautiful Art Deco venue, the chef was also excellent. He created several custom dishes that reflected our personal tastes and vision for the day. We received many comments from guests that the food was the best they’d had at a wedding.

As feedback, I will say that the Gwen could benefit from better communication and handling of information between the banquet/events side of the house and the room/reservations side. I suspect this may have improved with Vasso’s influence, but mid-stage planning, we found ourselves duplicating efforts to get things accomplished with our room block and needs of out-of-town guests.

That said, I am thrilled with our choice of the Gwen for our wedding. We wanted a dramatic and unique —but also iconic Chicago setting; that is the Gwen. We wanted a beautiful, heartfelt ceremony overlooking downtown Chicago and the lake, a foodie-worthy cocktail party and dinner, and a fun party to close the night. Our wedding was all that and more.

Cheers!

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank AngelaAdventure
Reviewed August 8, 2019 via mobile

Ramon is the best in the game! He has a keen eye for detail and doesn’t skip a beat! Trust him with all of your needs (from yoga to hot spots). He executed everything seamlessly for me!! Find him and let him plan everything for you!!

Date of stay: July 2019