“Very good business hotel in downtown Chicago” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago

The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago
Ranked #71 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Austin, Texas
“Very good business hotel in downtown Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

There aren't very many Conrad hotels in the USA and that is honestly a shame as they are very valid competition to the other high end hotels of other chains (i.e. JW Marriott, Westin, etc.).

This particular hotel is a very fine business hotel. I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite, which is basically one large room in a sort of L shape. By big city standards my room was huge, complete with a Bose 321 DVD system and high def TV WITH HD programming.

The bathroom was also a highlight as it was huge and had a large walk in shower in addition to a big tub.

The Conrad Chicago has a very unique service (no additoinal charge) as they present you with a "pillow menu". I choose several different pillows (relaxation, clod and flu and magnetic) and they were cool. The magnetic probably the worst of the lot but the relaxation was wonderful.

Their location is terrific. It is one block off Michigan Ave and on Rush very near to Ontario. It is connected to a mall (by big city standards). You can easily walk to the Loop. There are a ton of restaurants within walking distance as well.

The valet parking is a rip off though as it is $51/night. There are cheaper parking alternatives in the neighborhood. Thankfully I work for a company that is OK with that sort of parking expense so it was more convenient to park at the hotel.

They have a little outdoor bistro type restaurant on the fifth floor. It is in a great setting and the food is terrific. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Kyle D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Royan, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

Despite being a longtime Hilton visitor, this was the first time I have stayed in a Conrad. Because of a number of meetings and a private dining requirement, I was booked into a suite on the 17th floor. The room was very spacious with all the facilities necessary and the service from friendly check-in to waiters and concierge could not be faulted. It was and expensive stay but the value for money was there...a big tick in my box.
Try as I might, I couldn't work out how old the hotel was. There was a definite art deco feel to everything with the main colour being sort of beige. The lifts (elevators) were straight out of Gotham City and appeared to be designed to give out as little possible interior light as indeed were most of the public areas. I'm still not sure whether the hotel was designed as a "1930's Experience" or if indeed it was from the 1930's...
In any event, most impressed and would certainly visit again if on business...if not with the assistance of night vision goggles.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Decatur, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

My birthday wish this year was to visit the city of Chicago. I always check out TripAdvisor before I book any hotels, but my friend suggested the Conrad Chicago. We paid extra for a city view (about $50.00 more a night) which was a waste of money. Don't pay extra for a city view.
The hotel was very clean and the staff extremely helpful. It was very quiet inside the hotel, but we could hear the traffic noise from the roads. We were on the 7th floor.
The bed was extremely comfortable. I have read on TripAdvisor before that the towels at the Conrad are not very soft. True!!! They are very rough actually. They should invest in some new towels. Loved the shower gel and lotion they provided!
My friend suggested to eat at the hotel restaurant for breakfast. The food is overpriced and it wasn't very tasty. My suggestion: spend your money elsewhere. There are plenty of Starbucks around the city. Yum!
I would definitely stay at the Conrad Chicago again. It was a very pleasant and relaxing experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gisela67
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

I'm from a big city and this summer my family decided to take a trip to visit another big city-Chicago. We really went to see our team play at Wrigley Field. Having heard great things about the city itself, we were uncertain where to stay. After reading reviews and looking at hotel websites directly, we dedided on the Conrad. We got a decent rate directly through the hotel website. It was comparable to other hotels in the area of the same class. Transportation really depends on how familiar you are with Chicago or your preferences. We decided not to rent a car because the traffic is horrific and the parking at the hotel can cost as much as $51 a day. We took the orange line from the airport to a stop near the hotel. Since we had luggage, we decided to then take a taxi cab for the last few blocks to the hotel. Once there, we had no problems checking in, although I must say that the staff at the front desk wasn't friendly. The hotel lobby and our room looked exactly like it did on their website, which was nice. It's very clean, neat, and well maintained. The bathroom was large and well lit. The flat screen TV was accompanied by a Bose sound system, which my family enjoyed. We had nightly turn down service, which was a nice touch. The beds were decent. I've slept in better and in worse. Since it is a large city, the views from the hotel weren't anything special. We were surrounded by office buildings. We mainly kept our curtains closed. We had drinks and a late night snack at the outside terrace restaurant. It's comfortable out there with the bar, plants, and patio furniture (including couches and throw pillows). The food and drinks were average in quality, but a little high in price. Three drinks and a chocolate fondue cost us $70. We also ate room service for breakfast one morning. The service was very prompt, which was impressive. The food was average at best. I probably wouldn't order it again. Breakfast can run $30-$40 per person. We live in a major city and are used to semi-high prices, but this seemed high to us. While the hotel is nice and centrally located to many area attractions, the hotel absolutely caters to business class travelers. If/when I return to Chicago, I'll most likely stay at another hotel. Although I've stayed in a few 4 and 5 star hotels, I just didn't feel comfortable or welcomed at this hotel. The nicest people at the hotel were the bellmen.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank girlinpa78
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

I recently stayed at Conrad Chicago for the first time. I was attending a conference at the Marriott across the street. I'm glad I stayed at Conrad instead. The facilities are very well maintained. The service is great. As long as it is possible to find a good rate, I would not mind staying there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank N_and_R
Pittsburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

Do you imagine getting there for the first time and overlooking the room, that was supposed to be ready, with used towels and the mouthwash opened and used?
what about when they left the towel for the floor (the foot towel) to dry my face? what about the slippers that, although being still in the bag, had all the sole broken and left tiny plastic parts over the way to the garbage (all over the room, de facto).
i didn't realise that would happen to me until i saw paris hilton on tv and then i knew god is great and he did it to us for being such an idiots to go to a company that has been able to create her.
shame on us, actually!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Encanna
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

This was a great hotel and completely worth what we paid for it, considering it really wasn't that much more expensive than lower-end hotels in the area. Great service, clean/large rooms, excellent location and a really cool restaurant. Will definitely stay here again!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends