WINNER WONDERLAND

The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago
Ranked #57 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Nice hotel. Rooms are not too big, it seemed to be clean and comfortable. It was a regular room,with no view really for over $200. The staff was pleasant and really polite. The rooftop bar wasn't bad, it is small for such a crowded place, but it was really nice and good drinks. The hotel itself was clean. The biggest plus of this hotel- Great Location!! It is near the mag mile and shopping malls and good restaurants. I would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Anastacia M
Anneliese W, Reservations Manager at The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of the Conrad Chicago! We are so glad to hear you were able to enjoy our rooftop terrace along with our fabulous location. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Check in is supposed to be at 3 p.m. We got there at 4 and our room was not ready. In fact we could not get in room until 5:20. This was very inconvenient for us as we had a dinner to get to and had very little time to get ready.. They gave us a free drink voucher and free breakfast. We would much rather been able to get in the room. After getting back to the hotel at night, we were going to have a nightcap. Thought it was very unusual that the bar was out of a common beer, Miller Lite. This may not seem like a big thing but a huge hotel like this should have the basics always on hand. We got to breakfast the next morning, and had to wait to get in the Terrace as well. When we stay at an expensive hotel, I expect to be able to get in the room on time and this was disappointing to us. There are a lot of great hotels in Chicago and next time we will pick somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank janeeeChicago
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you were not able to get into your room by check in time. Our departments work quickly and efficiently to try and get everyone into their rooms when they arrive. Unfortunately sometimes this does not happen. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your drinks and breakfast but will follow up with the team to make sure items are properly staffed. We hope you will stay again and give us another chance on your next trip to Chicago!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

I had anticipated an exceptional stay during a recent business meeting, however I was very disappointed. The staff were not friendly or helpful when I had questions. I felt I was inconveniencing the staff when I would ask questions. My room was worn and in need of refurbishing. Room service food was not good

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your recent review. I apologize that your stay with the Conrad Chicago did not meet your expectations. There is no excuse for the staff not being friendly or helpful. We will make sure that this is followed up on in all departments. We hope to welcome you back to the Conrad in the future to allow us to show you the true Conrad service.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Comfortable hotel in a great location for shopping and food. We walked almost everywhere during our time here. There is also a water taxi stop close by if you get tired of walking. The staff are friendly and helpful. And the rooms are comfortable and clean.

If you are after a view, this is not the hotel for you because it's located between other buildings – we didn't have a view (only of another building) from our room but that didn't bother us.

There's no tea-making facilities in the room but you can ask for a coffee/tea making machine for the room – very useful. They also provide bottled water every day which is a nice touch. We didn't have time to eat or drink at the hotel but the outdoor terrace looks nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Being a smaller building in a large city views are limited but we are happy to hear that you found our amenities and staff to be above average. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Friendly helpful staff. Great rooms. Clean and comfortable. Facilities were excellent. Coctails were lovely. Very relaxed vibe. Definitely add this to my return to list. Location great. Really couldn't have asked for more during our 2 night stay.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank EPFAN1965
Anneliese W, Reservations Manager at The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are excited to be on your return list and hope to welcome you back soon!
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Used Hilton points to book a night at the Conrad and what a great hotel. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was excellent - extremely comfortable king bed, huge bathroom with all the amenities and decent view. Easy access to Michigan Ave. and the Magnificent Mile. I only wish I would have had time to have a drink out on the Terrace Bar!

Would definitely stay here again...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steffes3
Thank you for your recent review of the Conrad Chicago. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully will see you again soon. Our terrace bar is open seasonally but a great place to have a few drinks.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I've stayed at the Conrad Chicago for years, and after last weekend's stay, it struck me that I've never written a review - my bad, because this is certainly my favorite hotel anywhere!

Why I love the Conrad Chicago:

* The staff. Incredible across the board. I've never once encountered a staff member who wasn't pleasant and accommodating, and many times, they're far above and beyond that. My stays have numbered in the double digits, and I can honestly say that I've never encountered a screwup. And even if I had, they probably would have been awesome about it.

* The service. Wow. They think of everything. I used to stay there several times a year (sometimes close to monthly) and have cut down on my frequency of stays only because I now stay with a close friend when I'm in town. Last weekend, I was there for the first time in a year. And you know what? Eddie the bartender remembered that I wanted a Tito's martini! After a year! Sergio in the bar is also a gem.

It also bears mentioning that a couple years ago, I stayed there on my birthday. I have no idea how they knew it was my birthday, but not only did they, maybe, triple upgrade me, but I had a beautiful birthday confection waiting for me on my day.

* The rooms. By far and away the best in Chicago. Bed? Incredible. Bathroom? Sensational. I live for the big soaking tub that's been in every room in which I've ever stayed.

* Location. Right in the heart of everything. Love the dual entrances - you can enter on Michigan Avenue through the upscale shopping mall (doesn't suck having a Nordstrom right in the building) or on Rush Street if you'd rather not walk through the shops.

And after all of this, I can truly say that the rates aren't ludicrous. I'm Diamond with Hilton and I've stayed at several other Chicago properties (Hilton and others) - definitely the best Chicago hotel, the best Hilton anywhere and one of the best hotels in the world.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your recent review of the Conrad Chicago! We are so glad you have continued to enjoy your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon. We understand choosing a hotel that fits your needs can be trying but we are so glad to be #1 in your book! Please stop by anytime to say hi. Eddie and Sergio will be recognized for their wonderful service.