“Soaking tub made my day!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago

The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Chicago
Ranked #50 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Shakopee, Minnesota
“Soaking tub made my day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loved my stay at this hotel. The location is great; short walk from the red line, easy access to Michigan Ave via the mall, and many restaurants close by. I liked that the mini bar was only stocked upon request so that I could utilize the space for groceries I bought at the nearby Jewel Osco. Also, I was pleased to see that I had a giant soaking tub in the bathroom, Bose surround sound system, and ample cable channels. The room was very spacious and all of the light switches were in the perfect spot. Yes, I pay attention to things like this.

The complimentary wine reception was alright, but I wouldn't let it make or break my visit. I visited the fitness center and was happy to find ice cold water bottles, cool towels, and a well lit workout area with new equipment. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New Palestine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I go to Chicago probably once a month, and being a hilton honors gold member, I spend most of those nights in one of the hilton family hotels. Most of the hilton brands are very nice, but there's always a little something that keeps them from being my dream hotel. On this trip, I found my dream hotel in the Conrad. We stayed in a pure room on the 17th floor. I found the room to be immaculate and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was huge, with two of my favorite things, a glassed in large shower (no icky shower curtain to stick to you), and a separate room for the toilet! The bedding was incredible and there was a sleep menu from which you could order a variety of pillows (free) or other niceties to help you sleep for a minimal charge (pot of sleepytime tee, or cocoa, etc.). I ordered the no snore pillow and had one of the best nights' sleep ever (although rumor has it I still snored)! The absolute best thing about the room was the air purifier, which removed any allergens and funky "hotel" smells, and also covered any noise from other rooms. We literally heard nothing from other rooms or the hall throughout our stay (and the hotel was very busy)! The front desk staff was incredible! They got us checked in very early, like 10:30am early and they also handled a weird request with no problem! I would also like to comment on the concierge, she was exceptional at finding what we were looking for, and also remembered us and what we were looking for and followed up with us when we got back to the hotel! This will now be my go to hotel in Chicago!

Room Tip: The pure rooms are wonderful, and the 17th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AmyNewPalestine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in the Conrad Chicago for our anniversary. The front desk, concierge and personnel in the hotel were very helpful. They upgraded our room and send up champagne. We could not have asked for a better experience. The location is great, half a block from the magnificent mile. Also, accessing the hotel via the Nordstrom mall was a great plus, ask my wife....

The room were clean, big and very comfortable. It is the best hotel for the money. It feel like staying in a 5 star hotel for a lower price.

Room Tip: Call ahead and tell them the reason for the visit.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This location is right smack in middle of all the action! Shopping on the Mag Mile is a very short walk away! ...and the hotel has access to an indoor mall when the weather is cold! The hotel is very helpful in suggesting great places to eat and things to do. We had a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gumdrop53
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary. What a great choice! Location is everything when it is 15 degrees outside. Entrance from Magnificent Mile through the Nordstroms. One block from Wrigley and Tribune buildings. Two block walk to the Red Line on Grand Ave. which is how we came from the airport as well as getting to the Apollo Theater. Very comfortable bed. Small room but very large bathroom and large flat screen TV (which we watched for the AFC playoff game AND the inauguration). The hotel staff were VERY hospitable. Would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room on the 7th floor had a view of the Magnificent Mile. Perfect.
1 Thank LabsRock
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I chose the Conrad because I loved their hotel in Indy. We were conveniently located at Nordstroms. The room was smallish, but with a large bathroom. Bed was comfortable. There was a card in our room upon arrival with someones name on it. I assumed it was the name of the person responsible for room upkeep. There were a couple bottles of H20 with the cheesiest apple in a paper deli tray wrapped in Saran wrap. We had several laughs about it, but I would change that if I owned the place. Turns out it had been left from the last guest, who had apparently been disappointed about something. Oops again. We did not eat in the restaurant, but had a late desert in the bar. The Banana Creme Brûlée is really not anything resembling such, more like a banana split of sorts. We had hoped for a hot tub after a long day of shopping, but there isn't one. Not a big deal and I could have searched for such when planning. The staff is friendly and helpful, even letting me back in the room after forgetting items in the safe after checkout. Its a nice, clean place in a great location,and I must add a great rate. Just not quite enough for me to say say for sure I want to come here for my next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank whalegirl69
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here last weekend for my anniversary, and was very pleased with the hotel. The staff was very kind, and helpful, and the hotel was absolutely beautiful! The definition of luxury. Our room had an amazing view of Michigan Avenue and the Hancock too! The location is also wonderful. We got a great rate too, especially for how nice the hotel is. I will definitely be staying at the Conrad again.