“Not what I expected”

Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Whoever rates this place high must not be rating real Korean food. And I guess I do not understand the Zagat rating. I dined here recently expecting traditional Korean food. I had the bibimbap as it is my preferred Korean dish and seemed to be the only one I could recognize closest to Korean in their menu. It was ok but nowhere near like what the Korean restaurants located uptown serve. I had high expectations because of Yelp's high ratings. But I have to dial down the scale since it was not what I expected. I am not much for fushioned Asian food so this did not work for me at all. If you are expecting traditional Korean food this is not the place to go. But if you are ok with fushioned Asian food... well, give it a try. To me, traditional Asian food be it Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, etc..... has no need to be fushioned because by itself they already exude in flavor if done correctly. The name of the restaurant should have given me a clue.

If you really want to experience great, traditional Korean food where they serve you an array of side dishes (Banchan) as soon as you sit down, venture to Ban Po Jung or the many other Korean restaurants in the Foster and Lawrence (Uptown) area of town.

• Visited January 2013

• Korean first
Mill Valley, California, USA
“Great flavors”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The combination of Latin and Korean work very well together. This is a nice upscale fast food place. Our taco's (we sampled 3 kinds) and bimpinbap were declicious. The food seemed relatively healthy too.

Visited October 2012
Los Angeles, CA
“Korean done right”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I love how simple Korean food has become. Korean BBQ can be pretty complicated, but new twists on traditional dishes have really made Korean less of a mystery to unfamiliar diners.

We flew into Chicago late in the evening and I was craving Korean food. We looked up possible eats and stumbled on Del Seoul. Our decision to try it out did not disappoint.

We got a kalbi taco, shrimp taco, dol-sot bibimbap and the dumplings. Everything was awesome! I would come back here again and again. And again. I loved the way everything was flavored and the classic Korean spices and ingredients were used really well. I loved the food!

Visited October 2012
“Unique Tacos, soooo tasty!”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We've been to a variety of places in chicago from molecular gastronomy at MOTO to places owned by famous chefs to street-side cafes. By far, Del Seoul has some of the most tasty, unique and affordable items. The soft shell tacos made with Korean-Asian flavours are amazing. We got 6 tacos that were filling for $20, and the two of us didn't leave hungry. Del Seoul is only a short subway ride from downtown Chicago [we took the Red line to Fullerton and walked over to Clark - a 10 min walk - where there are a ton of quaint little fast food joints making quick food with fresh ingredients]
(then we went to Molly's for cupcakes!)

Ripon, Wisconsin
“Amazing”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I recently ate at Del Seoul on a Saturday night, and when I walked in I was fourth or fifth in line. The food only took about ten minutes to get out, and it was amazing. Convenient and cheap!

Visited September 2012