“Wonderful example of palatial house from Chicago's Gilded Age!”

Richard H. Driehaus Museum
Ranked #15 of 648 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a step back in time to the Gilded Age with banker Samuel Nickerson's mansion. Explore all three floors of the museum and discover how the Nickerson family lived and socialized. Tours are an extra $5, but well worth it.
Toronto, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wonderful example of palatial house from Chicago's Gilded Age!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This museum, a former home from the1890's, on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago, has just recently been open for public hours. If you love period settings, beauitful homes, art and architecture with amazing luxury and detailing, you shouldn't miss this attraction! Entrance fee is $20. but a very wise investment. This competes with the best that Europe has to offer. Three stories filled with damask wall coverings, wood carvings, Tiffany lamps-and at Christmas, decorations that give it a fantasy touch. The tour sounds really fun, but as we arrived between tours, we just wandered on our own. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2012

• Greek first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Elegant”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

A wonderful hidden gem in the heart of Chicago. Military ID gets you in free. The mansion has Christmas decorations which was a nice touch. Take the self guided tour you won't be sorry!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Great Chicago attraction”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I loved my guide Lisa Brown. She brought the museum to life. It was a great tour and would recommend it to locals as well as tourists visiting chicago.

Visited November 2012
Chicago, IL
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“I Qualify to be the Ladies Maid!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was a fun tour at the Driehaus Museum. A friend told me about this place and for the date and time we were there, the Holiday Servant Tour, was available for $15 per person. It ran a little over an hour. During the tour we were treated as servants applying for a position at the Nickerson home circa 1895. It was fun to be in character although some of the people on the tour were not into it. I was. Because of my high forehead, high ears and pleasant face, I qualified to be hired as the Ladies Maid. My duties are to attend to Mrs. Nickerson at $200 per year with room and board and a holiday during the summer. Other positions were the cook, housemaid, coachmen, valet, laundress, butler, and maybe one more. We got to see some of the elegant rooms and furnishings of a turn of the century mansion. I recommend it to those who like history and a bit of fun.

I think there are other tours available throughout the year.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank plan2gosoon
Chicago, IL
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've been aware of the Driehaus Museum for a few years now, but was never willing to pay the $20 per person (!!!!) entrance fee. Much to my delight, however, they were included in Open House Chicago and we were able to enter for free after a short wait in line.

Wow! This place is just breathtaking. We were able to go from room to room at our own pace. Each room had a docent who was sharing information and answering questions...so no formal tour, but ample opportunity to see the building and furnishings.

I feel like gushing endlessly about how opulent and magnificent the Driehaus is, however, I'll refrain and sum it up by saying that despite my aversion to the steep fee, I'd absolutely visit again AND pay the full fee for the visit.

For those who enjoy historic home tours, this really is just an awesome feast for the eyes.

We'll be back!