“Interesting”

Neighborhood: West Loop
London
“Interesting”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Concept, and most dishes were excellent. A couple, however, fell a bit flat. Given the hype, and the hoops you have to jump through to get in, I expected perfection. Especially when dinner for four runs $1,000.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank geminigirl789

NYC
“Next is great”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Got to go to Next for the Sicilian Menu and it was fantastic. My wife and I had both been to Alinea separately over the past few years and loved it and we were eagerly trying to get to Next. When it turned out to be Sicily it was fate- as that is where we had our honeymoon. That said, two things must be pointed out - this is Sicillian food- not Italian food and it is not in any way like Alinea. They are trying to make great Sicillian food and trying to impart the essence of the place and its people (thru that food). They take it very seriously, so seriously that they have fun with it- chefs, waiters, even GA came out. I did the wine pairing but my wife did the non-alc pairing and loved it. I would go back and do it all over again- but it is really tough to get a table. Maybe next year.

• Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“For a Verrry Special Occasion”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had the pleasure of dining with my wife at the trendy Next Restaurant in Chicago last weekend, There are currently running their "Sicily" menu. Being part Sicilian myself, I thought the food brought back some memories of my grandma's cooking when I was a much younger lad.
Getting into this place is a chore, but I was able to book tickets ( yes tickets) online through my son who is a season ticket holder. We were there on a Saturday night, and we were likely the oldest couple in the room, but that's OK. We also had booked the wine pairings with our meal.
There was something like 8 courses, and by the fourth or fifth, I was struggling to finish everything on the plate. Dinner started with a delicious caponata, crispy panelle and a roasted artichoke. The standout here was the caponata for me, as I make better artichokes myself, but everything here was good. Oh, I forgot the arancini filled with lamps tongue that was very tasty.
These were matched with an aperitif of prosecco mixed with an Sicilian liquor that escapes me. Very nice.
Next were two pasta courses. First was a bucatini in a butter sauce with what looked like strips of fruit rollups that were actually urchin roe. This was one of my favorites of the night. The bucatini was not the hollow stuff I'm familiar with and they were a bit more al dente than I like, but the taste of the sea and the rich butter sauce made up for that - bellisimo.
The second pasta was a gemelli with a cream sauce loaded with currants and topped with what I recall as being like panko crumbs and a large strip of sardine meat that also tasted like it just came out of the sea. Also very good and rich, but this is where I started to not being able to finish off a plate. A delicious white wine blend was served with the pastas.
Next came a swordfish entree that was unbelievably fresh, moist and tasty, served upon a mint pesto olive oil sauce. It was accompanied by a large bowl of chichi beans in a lemon oil sauce. Way too much food at this point. This was served with another Sicilian white, along the lines of a dry chardonnay.
Are we done yet? No way.
Next came a braised pork shoulder entree, that had slow cooked for some seven hours. Unbelievably good. This was served alongside some roasted vegetables of carrot, zucchini and such, and a Nero D'Avalo blend. We couldn't eat half of the pork, as much as we tried.
Finally, things were slowing down to the next interlude, a blood orange granita. I needed that.
Finally, the dessert course of homemade cassata ( ricotta cheese cake with traditional trimmings) along with the tastiest little cannoli ( with marache cherries) fried strawberry ravioli and sesame candies. Served with a delicious muscato.
My only regret is when we finally left around 12:30am, we forgot our doggy bag.
If you are lucky enough to get in this place, you are in for a treat, as the service was outstanding. I think we had two sommeliers and two or three waiters, any one of which could explain the wine or food they were serving in an interesting light.
Well done Grant. Just wish it were easier to enjoy your work.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Beamer52
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Amazing experience, non-adventorous need not attend”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I felt lucky to actually receive tickets to dine at Next elBulli menu. Grant Achetz is an amazing chef and I love Alinea so could not wait to dine at Next. The 28 course menu was quite an adventure in dining, although I could not remember the details of every course, the overall impression will stay with me forever. I am glad Chicago and the United States can support such an amazing adventure in dining. I only hope that Grant continues to do his magic for many more years.

Visited May 2012
stL
“Food as Art”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Anyone searching a review for this place will already know what to expect. I'll keep it brief - it is well worth the wait, price, and effort to get a reservation here. There is nothing else like it (well, other than Alinea)... but this really is a magical experience.

Visited May 2012