“Dry cupcakes :(”

Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Wisconsin
“Dry cupcakes :(”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Tried these cupcakes at Water Tower place - located right outside the American girl store level 2. They are huge and look great. We ordered 6 and all 6 were so dry and tasted like they were made days ago. Not fresh at all. Lines were very long too so it was even more disappointing when we finally tried them . :( I wouldn't suggest wasting your time in line for these.

Visited December 2012

Chicago
“Super sweet icing”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I went to the Crumbs on LaSalle Street and purchased the Dulce De Leche and Key Lime cupcakes. Good, but not great. The icing is super sweet. I expected more filling inside with the size of those cupcakes. The filling was buttercream and think something lighter like a mouse would be better since the icing on top is so rich. Was surprised to the find the Dulce De Leche cake was chocolate - I expected a carmel flavored cake. In that respect, I think they should give some descriptions on the cupcake along with the name.

• Visited July 2012
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Not as good as NYC?”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I first happened upon a Crumbs in NYC a few years ago and my son and I were thrilled with the 2 cupcakes we shared. One was the blackout and the other was something like fudge - both were all chocolate with great fillings.
So, when I saw that this was around the corner from my hotel in Chicago, I was very excited.
I was less excited about the cupcake. First, they don't have the variety of devastating chocolate combinations like they used to in NYC (I was recently at a Crumbs in NYC and they also didn't have the variety they had the first time I was there.)
Second, my son said - and I had already been thinking this - that it wasn't as good as the one I had gotten in NYC just a few months before.
Still good but not Great!
What's up with that?

Visited May 2012
Greenville, South Carolina
“Low cal client gifts”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I get a 12 pack of the popular taste size cubcakes to take to clients as I go through Chicago - they love them!

Good: Flavors, variety, locations of the 5 Chicago locations, reaction on client's faces when they see them

Bad: about 20% more than Sugar Bliss mini cupcakes

Inspired: every single cupcake and some of the employees

• Visited June 2012
Philadelphia, PA
“Yummy cupcakes and muffins!”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Went twice while in Chicago. The first trip was for cupcakes. They had a very large cupcake selection. My husband enjoyed his Boston creme cupcake. I had a grasshopper: chocolate cake with mint frosting. The Cupcake was tasty; the frosting had an alcohol-like flavor to it. I think they must had used an extract-it was a little too strong.

The next visit was for muffins. I had an amazing mixed berry muffin. The muffin was light and tasty and full of berries. Wish I bought two!

Been to Crumbs Bake Shop? Share your experiences!