“Super sweet icing”

Ranked #153 of 195 Dessert in Chicago
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I went to the Crumbs on LaSalle Street and purchased the Dulce De Leche and Key Lime cupcakes. Good, but not great. The icing is super sweet. I expected more filling inside with the size of those cupcakes. The filling was buttercream and think something lighter like a mouse would be better since the icing on top is so rich. Was surprised to the find the Dulce De Leche cake was chocolate - I expected a carmel flavored cake. In that respect, I think they should give some descriptions on the cupcake along with the name.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I first happened upon a Crumbs in NYC a few years ago and my son and I were thrilled with the 2 cupcakes we shared. One was the blackout and the other was something like fudge - both were all chocolate with great fillings.
So, when I saw that this was around the corner from my hotel in Chicago, I was very excited.
I was less excited about the cupcake. First, they don't have the variety of devastating chocolate combinations like they used to in NYC (I was recently at a Crumbs in NYC and they also didn't have the variety they had the first time I was there.)
Second, my son said - and I had already been thinking this - that it wasn't as good as the one I had gotten in NYC just a few months before.
Still good but not Great!
What's up with that?

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I get a 12 pack of the popular taste size cubcakes to take to clients as I go through Chicago - they love them!

Good: Flavors, variety, locations of the 5 Chicago locations, reaction on client's faces when they see them

Bad: about 20% more than Sugar Bliss mini cupcakes

Inspired: every single cupcake and some of the employees

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Went twice while in Chicago. The first trip was for cupcakes. They had a very large cupcake selection. My husband enjoyed his Boston creme cupcake. I had a grasshopper: chocolate cake with mint frosting. The Cupcake was tasty; the frosting had an alcohol-like flavor to it. I think they must had used an extract-it was a little too strong.

The next visit was for muffins. I had an amazing mixed berry muffin. The muffin was light and tasty and full of berries. Wish I bought two!

Reviewed October 14, 2011

My friend and I have been in search of the perfect cupcake in Chicago. We tried Sugar Bliss and Magnolia Cafe. The former we did not like at all, while the latter was okay, but not really that special. Then we happened on Crumbs. The service was friendly. Prices are comparable to Sugar Bliss and Magnolia; however, the cupcakes are much larger than those served at either of the other two shops. You actually get a little cake with your cupcake. The selection is great -- Toffee Coffee Cupcakes, Peanut butter cup cupcakes, classic butter cream cupcakes -- just to name a few. And the taste is great -- moist cake and delicious frosting. At least, for me, the search for the perfect cupcake in Chicago has ended.

1  Thank Allie T

Been to Crumbs Bake Shop? Share your experiences!