“Fun Way to Tour the City”

Segway Experience of Chicago
Ranked #9 of 177 Tours in Chicago
Spokane
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun Way to Tour the City”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Toured the lakefront with 2 kids. Went by several museums, Soldiers Field, Buckingham Fountain, and more. Jonathan and Casey were our tour guides and they did a great job showing us the sights and making it a fun excursion. It was the highlight of several days in Chicago!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank NWFamilyTraveler

usa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great fun!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I went on a tour of the lakefront with a small group on a cold sunny day in March. Jonathan was our guide and I found him to be very pleasant and always on the lookout for any members of the group that were not as proficient as others...that would be me! He cheerfully helped me whenever I had difficulties in stopping whilst never being patronising. I appreciated that and soon grew in confidence .
I've lived in Chicago for many years and yet was able to learn new things about the city, on the tour.
I would recommend this tour for anyone, whether you are a local or a visitor.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank nicstel
Dayton, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great for locals and visitors alike....and riding a Segway is easy and great fun!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My spouse and I were visiting Chicago in late Nov. / early Dec. and booked a Sunday tour with this outfit. We've been to Chicago many times and though we're not locals, we've heard much of the local history / lore before. Still, our "Parks" Segway tour was filled with new and interesting sights and information, and the "natives" in our group all said they learned things about their hometown that they'd never known. Our guide was very informative and clearly tried to anticipate what we might enjoy learning in addition to the "standard" stuff he normally shares. Now, to the really fun stuff...

As others have shared, riding a Segway is easy to learn (just RELAX!) and you get the hang of it very quickly. The guides work individually with each guest to make sure they're safe and comfortable on the machines before setting out (sounds like a big deal but truthfully, this outfit -as opposed to some others - keeps their tour groups small (around 8) and training literally takes about 2 minutes per guest ). While their storefront isn't fancy, you do get the sense that their equipment is up-to-date and well maintained, and they clearly care about safety as they require a "lovely" reflective vest and bike helmet for all guests. While such apparel does leave you with "hat hair", it also makes you highly visible to traffic and pedestrians, which is much needed in such a busy, urban environment. Knowing that you're highly visible and that the tour guides are constantly on the lookout for potential problems (nervous and/or overly-aggressive guests, obstacles in the path of travel, etc. ) allows you to relax and just enjoy the ride.

I can imagine that younger folks would be drawn to Segways (though they might find the thought of an organized tour a turn-off), while older folks (50+) might be nervous about the equipment (especially if they're normally pretty sedentary, haven't ridden a bike in years, etc.), but truly this is a rare attraction that should appeal to virtually everyone. The tour guides are young and hip enough that, coupled with the Segways themselves, even teens and 20-somethings will enjoy it (though they'll likely complain about being seen in public in a safety vest and helmet). And older folks will find the tour very interesting and the equipment much less intimidating than they'd imagined. Really, fun for all........We highly recommend it!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank UDFlyerX3
Chicago, Illinois
“Chicago Lights”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Great guides, small group. Very informational, and as a long-time Chicagoan we traveled over five miles to areas I did not even know of. The only reason I did not give it a rating of 5 is because, if possible, I would recommend they taylor the tour around the very busy Chicago areas or see them from a distance. It took away from the experience every time I had to maneuver around people and catch up with our guide.

Visited December 2012
Cranston, Rhode Island
“SO MUCH FUN!!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Segway tour we took this weekend with Segway Experience of Chicago was some of the most fun I have ever had. Seriously. Like, crazy fun. Mr. H and I took Little H, and we all had a blast. We haven't stopped talking about it and now Little H wants one to ride to school.

Our guides, Ed and Jonathan, were fantastic. They were funny, knowledgable, and made sure that we were safe and comfortable on the Segway. I was a little nervous at first, but it's amazing how fast you learn to ride! After a short orientation, we were off and gliding. Riding a Segway is so much easier than I anticipated. I totally geeked out, it was so so so much fun. (Not to pump my own tires, but I think I'm really good at this Segway thing and may go pro. Anyone wanna sponsor me??)

We chose the two-hour Park Glide Tour. Ed and Jon took us to Grant Park, Buckingham Fountain, Soldier Field, Museum Campus, and along the Lakeside Bike Path. The time flew by and we were so bummed when the tour was over. Our goal is to take each of the tours that they offer, especially the upcoming Holiday Lights Tour (perfect for Christmas freaks like me).

I strongly recommend Segway Experience of Chicago to everyone, especially people who like having awesome fun. And if you don't like having fun, try it anyway. You may just end up being a better person after.

Visited October 2012