“Tourist Trap”
Review of Blue Chicago

Blue Chicago
Ranked #5 of 580 Nightlife in Chicago
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I am from Chicago and this place is a tourist trap. They strong arm the tourists for TIPS, TIPS, TIPS and are vulgar about it. That is not my town's way of greeting guests. My advice is find a real blues bar and avoid this classless one.

2  Thank Chicagoan54
in 13 reviews
"tiger"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed December 3, 2014

The band was terrific! They played amazing songs & the energy stayed up high through the night. Its a typical hole in the wall, open from 8 pm to 1:30 am. You can come here after dinner by 8:30 as the place is almost full by 9 (holds true for weekdays too, we went on a wednesday & it was packed by 9). Service is fine considering the place, nothing jazzy (pun intended); drinks only (pretty cheap), no food served here. Perfect atmosphere & hence, a must go! Entry charge of $8; may vary.

Reviewed November 22, 2014

Was recommended by a friend and didn't disappoint. Three piece blues band was very good (although I don't understand why they try to mix it up every now in then with something more "popular" and less bluesy…). It was packed when we got there about 9 pm so it took a while to be seated. A small place, but some room for dancing. It thinned out in a big way after about 11; closed at 1 (on a Friday night). I only marked it down slightly due to the surliness of the staff. But hey, we're there for the blues.

Reviewed November 15, 2014

I had a very odd experience here at Blue Chicago. We went on a Thursday night, and the band was good, the singer was legit, and the service was ok and prices were reasonable. However, as I looked around, I saw that the only black people in the club were the bouncer and the band...EVERY person in the club was white. A lot of tourists, looking to hear some blues. In a city with a racial history as fraught as Chicago's, this made me really uncomfortable.