“I will be back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Iowa
“I will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2009

The wife and I were im pressed with the hospitality and lovely rooms.
We were treated very well and we both thing the rooms were much nicer in person and the pictures don't do it justice.
We had great privacy and so much to do near by.
We will be back and will definately tell friends.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

The Villa Toscana recently provided my little group with a wonderful, warm and friendly stay. I liked it so much that I've already booked a room there for another trip I'll be making in October!

My girlfriend, my best friend and I needed a place to spend the night while we attended a Cubs game at Wrigley - within easy walking distance, along with the Addison Red Line CTA station - and a concert that evening, as we had a place to stay with a friend for the rest of our time in the Chicago area.

I've always favored the value and warmth of B&B's over hotels, especially in an expensive town like Chicago, so I researched the scene and arrived at the Villa Toscana. They were one of the few that had a room that could accommodate 3 adults comfortably, were nicely priced and just where we needed to be.

Ryan at the front desk was excellent - we arrived a little before check-in time, so he helped us stow our luggage before going to the Cubs game, and arranged for our keys to be ready in the lock box when we returned (and left a message on my cell phone to make sure we knew exactly what to do). He also arranged for us to hold our luggage there upon check-out the next day until our local friend could pick us up - very generous and helpful. We were able to go about the town and have fun, then pick our luggage up at our convenience that afternoon.

Both the room itself and the shared bathroom were clean and tastefully appointed. We loved the little courtyard in front - the B&B is set back from Halsted St. far enough to where you feel as if you're in a little enclave away from the hustle and bustle (which isn't bad at all, really, for a big city environment).

The immediate area of Boystown/Wrigleyville offers quite a bit of nightlife, dining and eclectic entertainment of all sorts. We felt safe walking the area at any time of day or night, and we were close to everything we needed.

The breakfast area is extremely well-stocked with all sorts of goodies, excellent fresh coffee and muffins (toaster and refrigerator provided), yogurt, cereals, etc. It's a help-yourself-at-your-convenience arrangement, which really worked well for us. The entire kitchen & common area was very clean and welcoming.

I look forward to my next stay at the Villa Toscana, and feel it is a very good value for a B&B right in town. My thanks also to the nice lady I talk to when I call - I'm sorry I didn't make note of your name - and to Ryan for being such a great help.

• Liked — Excellent service from front desk, nice clean room, super breakfast area.
  • Disliked — No complaint whatsoever.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

My vietnamese-american friend and I (from France) recently stayed in Villa Toscana (June 2008), in the Art Deco and the Venetian rooms. We fully agree with the reviews of Buckhead720 and of Catwalkaj, and don't need to repeat them. Great points for us were the location, the calm, the cleanliness, the good links with dowtown thanks to bus 8 and the close Red Line station Addison, and the excellent breakfast. The staff, especially Joy, was very friendly and professional. We would like to come back here when we'll visit Chicago again.

• Liked — The atmosphere of the property
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ParisVNam
san francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

The location of this b&b is definitely the only draw as the rooms are cramped (you have to climb over the end of the bed to get into it in my basement ("garden') suite). There is no room for dressers or a desk or anything else -- so pack lightly. Read below (DIRTY BATHROOM) to hear more about the grout and the cleanliness issues. My room was TEEMING with red ants. The basement flooded during my visit so the hallway was covered with towels. I had much difficulty with the host (Joy) which prompted me to call the owner (Rosemary). Upon speaking to Rosemary, I understand why Joy is such a treasured employee. They share a common philosophy about the importance of customer satisfaction. They did, however, quickly let me cancel the remainder of my stay after one miserable night so that I could check into the lovely City Suites Hotel around the corner. For the same price, I have all the amenities that I need and I'm a block away from Boystown. The staff here is helpful, friendly and well-trained.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank djintwinpeaks

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Falls Church, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

I stayed at Villa Toscano a couple of years ago due to my trip coinciding with the Chicago Marathon and not being able to find any place else. It has a great location in the middle of the Boystown neighborhood in Chicago, but the pictures on the website are a bit deceiving. They don't show much other than the bed because there isn't much more to the room. Stayed in the "Neoclassic" Room, which was frightfully small. If you're claustrophobic, 3 nights could drive you completely nuts. The bathroom could definitely use some sprucing up -- toilet paper holder falling off the wall, fixtures need updating, etc. Seems like they have never bothered to do much in terms of upgrades or maintenance after the initial decor was installed.

While it was cheaper than most of the local hotels, you may still feel a bit ripped off. Breakfast pretty much consisted of some Hostess donuts and coffee. Never did see anyone serving as a "host" except when checking in. Recently learned that they have a 3 night minimum stay policy on weekends -- not something I find appealing, especially if I'm just looking for a night on the town.

2 Thank Curtis O
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

4-STARS
What a great weekend! Thank you Villa Toscana!
GREAT room and large enough for one or two people to stay comfortably. Attentive staff, yet unobtrusive. In the main house where I stayed -- lots of treats for breakfast: cereal, mini cinnamon buns (YUM!), granola -- OJ in the fridge! Also tea, coffee and water are all available till noon. My towels were changed daily (weekend visit) and my bed was changed and made as well. I slept beautifully each night and would stay again. One tiny suggestion: bottled water in each room would be a GREAT finishing touch. Thanks again!!

-AJV
Massachusetts

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
levittown NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2007

June 4 & 5,2007-- Pat McCormack-- We stayed in #5 at the garden level which is really the basement. One has to go outside to get to the kitchen & the rest of the facility. The worst part was the bathroom . I believe that the grout in the shower is colored black. Most of this black grout is covered with soft, fuzzy mold. They are in serious need of a scrub brush & Clorox. It was disgusting. I was afraid to touch anything, making it very difficult to shower. Even my husband noticed the mold. I certainly would never stay there again nor would i recommend it to anyone who cared anything about sanitation . The managements response was "Oh, sorry".

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank levittownNYClean
Villa3447, manager at The Villa Toscana, responded to this review, June 14, 2007
This woman was full of complaints the minute she walked in the b&b. They arrived at 12:30 pm expecting to check into their rooms. Our checkout time is 12 noon. Rooms cannot be turned over that quickly. When I told them that they had to wait they acted very annoyed and a bit rude even though I allowed them to drop their luggage off and wait in our common area. I personally went and checked the bathroom after the complaint about the shower was made and I found absolutely nothing. I'm not sure what she was seeing. Since taking over the Villa Toscana last July, we have gone to great lengths to make sure that everything here is clean at all times.