“Food was ok, just too sweet”
Review of Hoyt's Tavern

Hoyt's Tavern
Ranked #419 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Wacker Drive & Wabash Avenue
Transit: Red, Pink, Green, Orange, Brown, or Purple Line to State & Lake.
Description: With views of the iconic Chicago River, Hoyt's reflects modern tavern fare while focusing on the atmosphere of a Chicago neighborhood dining experience. We feature seasonal, market fresh, and healthy offerings while emphasizing Hoyt's creative twist on traditional comfort foods. Get your day started "Hoyt's style" with an outstanding cup of Starbucks coffee and a pastry, or choose from our a la carte and "grab and go" breakfast options. We pack big tavern taste into our lunch items, where you can grab a quick mid-day bite in between meetings or enjoy a late lunch. In the evening, Hoyt's tavern comes alive to capture an after work crowd looking for a high energy and social environment. Hoyt's dinner menu features signature shared items like cheese curds and our calamari, balanced with simple, yet sophisticated tavern entree items like beef tenderloin or our seared salmon loin. Our all American wines, beers and cocktails will complete your evening with a memorable spin
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Maybe it's the American palate, but the food here was incredibly sweet. From the menu, I thought that many of the dishes would be really sweet, so I ordered the roast chicken with pollenta and a sage jus. But the chicken came with a greasy skin that was incredibly sweet, and the jus wasn't what it should have been - it was a thick, over-reduced marmalade that was far too sweet. Once I took the skin off the chicken, tyhe flavour was much more subtle and the meat itself was well-cooked. I suppose you get what you pay for, seeing as it was actually fairly good value. Maybe the food is just trying too hard?

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I had the burger and a side salad. Burger was great. Nothing out of the ordinary but just really flavorful. The salad was good and had lots of things in it. The dressing was a little too tangy for my taste, though. Would go here again, though.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

New Year's Day many restaurants were closed, but not Hoyt's. My husband & I shared prime rib sliders (3 per serving) that were flavored just right. The sweet potato fries hit the spot-a bit of crunch and not too greasy. Teenagers ordered Hoyt burgers. They were huge! And apparently pretty good because they ate every bite. We came in at 10:30 pm ready to be turned away due to the lateness, but the staff was very welcoming. Our waitress, Alis, was attentive and took good care of us. A bit expensive, but would recommend for a special occasion.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stopped in for a late dinner and am I glad we did!!! We got a few different things and shared. You MUST get the short ribs over the mashed sweet potatoes. As usual I wanted to try to duplicate this recipe and found something similar to it on the internet. The wine list was great and prices very reasonable. We wanted to sit outside but the patio was full. We sat in the bar area and had fantastic service. If you are in the area I recommend stopping in BUT YOU MUST TRY THE SHORT RIBS!!!! You will dream about them I swear to it!!! Happy Dining Y'all

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were sent to Hoyt's on a recommendation from the Hard Rock Hotel, and a 20% discount though we would not have been upset paying full price for the quality of this restaurant. It was great. Service was amazing. Professional without being over the top. They had amazing mimosa's. I had Eggs benedict, Yum Yum. Prices aren't too bad for the amount you get. 14 dollars for eggs benedict is pretty good. They boy got a plate that include eggs down how you want, bacon, potato's and four slices of toast. Lots of food, all delicious. I also loved the coffee they served. Great place.

Been to Hoyt's Tavern? Share your experiences!