“Childhood nostalgia for this big kid.”
Review of Ing - CLOSED

Ing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Chicago, Illinois
“Childhood nostalgia for this big kid.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I wrote a negative review about iNG in January, however, five months later, I made my way back to iNG with my sister to give it a second chance. The meal was fantastic. Whatever issues I had with the reservation system in the past have been erased by the playful and delicious Wonder Years Menu. Rarely do you find a tasting menu where you enjoy every single course, but that is what my sister and I both experienced last night.

The Hidden Valley Ranch course would make any kid (even a big one) enjoy her vegetables. This was followed by the most delicate shrimp cocktail I've had in a long time. The next course was one of my favorites, beer-cheese soup made from Wisconsin's finest aged cheddar. The three little pigs and the duck waffles filled us to the brim. The four desserts (honey, banana, root beer and almond joy) were all great. My favorite was the play on a root beer float. Anyone who can combine goat cheese and sasparilla has found a place in my heart. All of that topped off with the excellent beverage pairings and the flavor tripping miracle berry made for a very fun evening.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TrishaT_Travels

“Unique & adventurous”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Came here with husband & out of country friends. An amazing & fun way to experience dining together. The food, drink pairing, and staff from beginning to end was everything you would expect. Would highly recommend this dining experience.

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, IL
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't wait for the full WONDER YEARS menu!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On Friday February 1st my wife and I were lucky enough to try two of the new dishes that will begin mid March on the Wonder Years menu. Think back to when you were a kid and all of the same foods you would eat over and over again. This menu does a great job bringing those back but with a few ADULT twists!
Before I begin I wanted to thank Emilie Bishop (our cocktail specialist) for an amazing first drink at the bar. If you haven't tried one of her drinks you are missing out. She made us each a kimura (grapefruit juice, lemon juice, st germain, campari, and campari spheres). One of the best drinks I have had in a long time. She also made us the cocktail for the new menu. I will review that below.

Dish #1: Shrimp Cocktail Margarita (my name for the dish)
Remember as a child thinking you were so cool because you liked shrimp cocktail! Well here is a grown up version of this with a little kick to it. The shrimp is served cubed and mixed with tabasco sauce and other spices. The rim of the small margarita shaped glass covered in horseradish salt. At first I thought it was one large piece of shrimp but quickly found out it is actually 4 or 5 smaller pieces. The first taste immediately brought back my childhood but then the kick of tabasco made me realize again that this is the adult version. The next bite I added some of the salt on the rim and that gave it even more flavor. I demolished the dish very quickly after this because everything was so fresh and the flavors together were perfect. This dish is going to be a huge hit in my opinion.

Drink #1: Bottle Mary (again my name) What better way to start your meal than with iNG's version of a bloody mary. Excited? Well you should be because you have to drink it out of a baby bottle! Don't cheat and take the nipple off! This drink was made with celery root instead of tomato juice and was very spicy. I had never had a bloody mary before but really loved what Trevor (the mastermind of this drink) did to make this enjoyable.

Dish #2 Deconstructed Candy Bar (again not the actual dish name) I was very excited to try one of the deserts off the menu and what better desert than a candy bar (while flavor tripping) This dish was presented with all ingredients separated on the plate. They included: coconut macaroons, miracle berry chocolate sauce, and most importantly broccoli ice cream. As a kid I would have had nothing to do with this but now that the miracle berry is in play I bet I could get my younger brother to try this without hesitation. While flavor tripping the ice cream tasted just like pistachio ice cream. I couldn't taste the broccoli at all! The macaroons gave great texture to the desert and the chocolate sauce tasted like the most expensive chocolate I had ever eaten. FYI the chocolate sauce is made with zero sugars! There were nuts as well I believe. Honestly can't remember because once again I ate the dish so quickly because I enjoyed it so much.

Overall I gave both dishes A's and can't wait to come back to try the full 10 course menu. I would also like to add that I am in no way affiliated with the restaurant or chef Cantu. I am just a customer for life who appreciates a good meal and great service.

Thank you to chef Cantu and team iNG for allowing us to try both dishes!

• Visited February 2013
Chicago
“Great Experience and Great Food!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had an awesome time, especially after having been to some of the best "tasting menu's" in the past year ( such as Moto, Schwa, Terasa in Budapest and Olo in Helsinki ). This was equal to the task with great food and service. Preparations were not quite as exotic as Moto, but neither was the price. I would call this a "value" compared to many others and it is affordable to be able to go more than once per year, especially since they change their themes. We were there for "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and every dish was delightful. Wonderful pairings too. We had a couple "fussy" eaters due to dietary restrictions and they were very accommodating by replacing items with more than comparable replacements. Make sure you put ING on your "must do" list!

• Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Amaz-ING experiences in 3 seasons”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I love ING in Chicago, having visited it 3 times this past year (Summer, Fall and Winter 2012), one would guess this. Each time, there was a new menu, which made this all the more exciting.

Most memorable - my summer experience (1st time). I didnt know what to expect on this visit, which made it all the more memorable. Without giving too much away, we really enjoyed all the courses and special pairings, and especially loved the ceviche (with miracle berries), and the popcorn dish.

Most creative - Winter - we ate the Nightmare before christmas menu, and loved it. Brough 5 first timers who also loved the experience, especially the chocolate dessert coffins!

Fall was my least favorite, but I go for less heavy flavors and this was a heavy metal theme. I think summer was still my best experience, very fresh tasting, with great uniqueness.

My friend I came with said she loved the food like Alinea (which is huge), and when we overheard the staff saying "we are just little old ing, not Moto" we were flabergasted! They need to have more pride than that! Especially for the great value they provide at half the cost of other similar spots.

Needless to say, I am excited to hopefully stop by in SprING!

• Visited December 2012