Open today: 7:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Review Highlights
Knowledgable & Thoughtful Tour Operators

My brother and I and wives came to Chicago to celebrate our heritage and birthdays. I booked this... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
wadsyman
via mobile
Great way to experience Chicago!

Our “tour” felt more like a focused discussion about Chicago. The van was luxurious, and the driver... read more

Reviewed October 6, 2018
CHRIS1130936
Redlands, California, USA

All reviews hour tour great tour guide matt highly recommend this company four hours booked this tour his knowledge entire tour the windy city great overview interesting facts great city highlight of our trip wrigley field take pictures cultural center millennium park
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This tour was the perfect way for our family to get to know the city on our first day. We saw the Chicago River, the Magnificent Mile, the Gold Coast, Lincoln Park (park), Lakeview, Lake Shore Drive, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Chicago Cultural Center, Adler Planetarium, Hyde Park (park+neighborhood), U of Chicago, and probably some other places I can't remember—all in 4 hours, which really went by fast! There was not a boring moment, but we weren't overwhelmed either. Plenty of photo-ops, largely due to the flexibility of the tour (we took pictures in places we knew we probably wouldn't return again). The tour guide was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. We asked many questions about Chicago living, and he lent advice about our plans for the rest of the trip and about public transportation. The tour provided historical info, architectural info, activity info, and plenty of other types of info. The driver was very friendly, easygoing, and personable, and he knew the best routes to avoid traffic. Definitely the best experience for anyone new to the city wanting a detailed, diverse, personal tour.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Our family thoroughly enjoyed this tour! Matt and TJ are awesome tour guides. The way Matt gives the history of Chicago is nothing short of amazing. He truly knows his stuff! We had two little curious girls with us and Matt was very patient with them. We learned a lot about this great and wonderful city all thanks to you guys! If you are looking for a Excellent tour to go on, I highly recommend this one!!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Firstly, I would like to say I enjoyed my tour with TJ and Matt. TJ is an excellent driver and good personality. Matt works very hard but not as experienced as I expected. He is great if you want a very casual tour but I expected more in depth knowledge. We were on a private tour and it felt more like friends bringing you around the city rather than a professionally organized tour. This could be more personal preference but for the money I was paying, I expected a more organized experience. The tour operator did not give us a set schedule so I expected that they would be able to hit all the sites we said were important to us. It ended up because of traffic we did not see some important sites so if you book with them in the future, you should get a more detailed schedule. They are not experienced enough and do not have the connections to be able to "wing it". All in all, it was a decent tour, the city is beautiful and I would have given them a better rating but I don't think management handled my situation very well.

I was stopping over in Chicago and had a limited amount of time. My flight arrived early. I was told by the tour operator to phone them once I arrived. When I phoned, I got a voicemail. I subsequently phoned another 2 times...still no answer. Then I got a call from Matt saying he was stuck in traffic and would be late. We probably lost around 45 minutes on our tour. I understand things happen but I expected the tour operator to give me a call back on the situation. He just left it to Matt to deal with me which I think was unfair to Matt and quite unprofessional. I left another message saying I expected to be compensated for the lost time and asking the company to phone me back...they never did. I think this is quite unprofessional. It is easy to take compliments but the really good operators also try to address issues immediately. As such, I cannot recommend using this tour operator.

3  Thank 626,064
CPTAdvisor, Owner at Chicago Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Tony,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is essential to us as we continue to strive to be better. As stated in the email I sent you, I want to first apologize for our office not being able to answer your calls when you arrived at the airport. We were experiencing phone difficulties at the office and were unable to receive any calls that afternoon. My driver and guide did have your number and were instructed to call you once you arrived at 12:15pm. It is my understanding that call was not made until shortly after 12:15pm. Even though we cannot control traffic, it is unacceptable that the lines of communication were not better during your airport pick up. From now on, we will make sure to provide the driver's cell number for all airport pick ups to avoid future issues.
On a more positive note, I was told that your party was able to get out and try some deep dish pizza and go to the top of the John Hancock to see the magnificent views, which I understood was a priority during your short time in Chicago.
We are a boutique tour company that believes it is important to stay small to guarantee a unique experience for all of our customers. One of the ways we do this is by constantly adjusting our tours to fit the individual group's interests. By doing this, we create more flexibility in our route than other tour operators.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and will continue to use this information to create a better experience for all of our clients.

Warm Regards,

Frank

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our first trip to Chicago and we wanted to see the major sites . Our tour with Matt and TJ was wonderful!! They were funny, kind and truly seemed interested in seeing that we saw as much of the city as possible. Knowing our interest in sports, they also made sure we saw all if the venues. We could not have asked for a better day!!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My cousin brought her 14 year old granddaughter to Chicago as a graduation treat, and I booked this tour as an alternative to a stuffy, run-of-the-mill bus tour. Best decision I could have made! We had a very comprehensive tour of the City, from Wrigleyville on the north side down to Hyde Park/Museum of Science and Industry on the south side, and all of the landmarks in between. Perfect stops for short walks at the Lincoln Park Conservatory, Chicago Cultural Center and Millennium Park. Our driver was expert and our guide Ben was extremely knowledgable concerning Chicago history and interesting facts about the City - I've lived here 64 years and I learned a lot! They had bottles of water in the van for us (beautiful and comfortable van with large glass roof, so viewing tall buildings was no problem) and scheduled in comfort stops along the way.
I will certainly book this trip again when I have out of town guests. You won't be sorry if you do!