“Modern, Central & Outstanding”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #19 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Modern, Central & Outstanding”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

stayed 2 nights in Chicago at end May, this hotel is perfect in every way. Just south of East Wacker Drive everywhere is a 15 minute walk away- Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue etc. Service is outstanding and the room was luxuriously modern with a superb bathroom. Balocnies are a bit of a lottery because of the design of the building, and the fire engines from the station next door can sometimes be heard.Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djh&cjh
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your review! I am honored that you loved your experience and that you took the time to recommend us to others! I am also glad that our location was ideal for every place you wanted to visit. I hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed 4 days at the Radison over the weekend (June 2014) to explore the city. The hotel certainly met our expectations starting from an ideal downtown location for business &/or pleasure. We likely did 100 KM of walking just from the hotel.

First impressions are of a modern look, yet an architectural fit with the wave balcony style and unique neighborhood. The rooms have everything from AirCon to mini bar and big flat screen to very comfy beds. I was especially impressed at the fast internet, iPod recharger and modern phone.

The bathroom “area” is unique. There was a large shower (no bath) with rain shower fixture. The toilet is adjacent with a sliding opaque door gives you privacy. A bit bizarre but functional. I really liked the shaving mirror. But my wife was off as now where to sit to also ….shave her legs. (o:

A real bonus was the window that actually opens. I like fresh versus canned air. We also got two free bottles of water a day plus all the regular bathroom amenities. I usually take the hair shampoos home …….. Plus, I took a mouthwash along for a “touch-up” during the day.

We had a great view of view of the Chicago Fire Station station adjacent to the hotel (Engine 13 & Truck 8) Pop down to say hello to the team & pick up a T Shirt for $20. Also note …..they are 24/7 so some siren noise.

Otherwise great service from the Concierge & Front Desk. They are versant on all the local attractions. As a suggestion on your last day, leave your bags with the concierge at check out. If you have a afternoon flight that gives you more time for last minute shopping or touring.

On that note, we took the train in from O’Hare Airport on arrival. But with the construction midway you must get off the train, board a bus & then re board the train again. Not convenient & very time consuming. On our return, we took a taxi that took 50 minutes & was $40.

Back to the hotel remarks, we enjoyed the lobby with the Art and Pictures while having coffee in the morning. Unfortunately, we did not try the Italian Filini Restaurant. It had a great menu (reasonable rates) & was usually fairly busy. Try the outdoor patio.

As mentioned, we did some great sightseeing so I have some recommendations to share with you:

ARCHITECTURE – Walk around the city & enjoy the beautiful historical buildings. Take the “not for profit” Architecture Cruise which is narrated by architecture students.

NAVY PIER – Walk down the pier & pop into the many shops which are mainly tourist stuff. But conside a bite at the many restaurants.

MILLENNIUM PARK – It is a fantastic and long walk. We went back two or more times & always say new sights. A must. (Plus free Symphonies in the Park), Buckingham Fountain & Crown Fountain.

CITY TOUR – Take the 4 day pass that gives you the Double Decker city tour & also the other tours on the Trolley to the neighborhoods. Plus you get a free T Shirt.
MICHIGAN AVE – Everyone does this & so should too. Lots of landmarks & all kinds of shopping.

FOOD – The local favorites are deep dish pizza. While Giordano's is great (a block from the hotel) it is over an hour wait. We found many Italian Restaurants that had great Pizza. Try the Hotdogs too!

OTHER – I did not have time but check out Sue at the Field Museum, a show at the Oriental (& get last minute Tkts), or BLUE MAN (It is great but I saw the show in Vancouver)

Hope this helps
Safe Travels
MikeN

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike N
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you took the time to recommend us to others. I will be sure to share your compliments with our team. I am also glad that you had so much fun throughout our beautiful city! I hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

New York
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel is in a iconic luxury high-rise featured on Chicago's architectural boat tours. So the building's shared amenities might be the best in town. The outdoor space on the third floor is particularly striking and includes a fabulous pool and a running track that circles the whole building.

Our room was also lovely, and looked and felt more like the master bedroom of a luxury high-rise than a hotel room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for your review! I am honored that you loved your stay and that your entire stay felt luxurious! I will share your compliments with our team. I hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Chicago! Thanks again!

Francesco Tardio
Filini General Manager
Willmar
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have just recently returned from another great stay at the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel in Chicago. As always the hotel was clean and neat. The grounds were well kept with people working about the facility at hours of the day. I can in contact with many different people who helped me out with my stay, whether before or arrival or after check-in the staff is always so kind. Doug and Stephanie both took down my room request and helped me with some questions. I spoke with Jaime Martinez the reservation coordinator as well and assisted me in securing a third night on our original two night stay. At the hotel there was the always helpful Bob at the front door with a great dinner recommendation and in the bar/lounge Filini there was Dominique who served up some great service. Refilling drinks without even being asked. Side not after a long day I craved a delicious dessert and sprung for the Tiramisu, probably one of the most amazingly prepared and delicious desserts I’d had in a long time. Almost felt bad sharing it with my group. I have to point out that Ashley at the front desk was beyond helpful during my stay as she assisted me in getting a better room, coordinating credit cards with various rooms, and later extending my stay and ensuring I’d have no trouble at check-out. Ashley was always smiley and willing to assist my needs, I can tell she really enjoys her job, as I think they all do. There was also a tall gentleman who assisted me with directions to a Target and some other stores but I did not get his name, sorry.
The rooms themselves were super clean and smelled fresh. They lotions and shampoos were top notch and the towels quite soft. The beds were a dream to sleep in and the amenities, lighting, and fixtures really give this place the five star feel. I had to use the business center and found there to be ample computer space and a nice printer. The pool deck had plenty of loungers to enjoy the sun and the running track made for a beautiful run in the morning. The location is perfect for the area as everything is within walking distance. I in fact mapped out a walk and to the John Hancock Center it’s only one mile. Showers were great, with hot water and good pressure. I had to do some homework in the room and the desk and chair was also comfortable. The internet was fast in the room and being free is always a great benefit as well.
Overall I wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again and again. The Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel is my favorite place to stay when in Chicago and I look forward to my next trip back down there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a tub, usually a corner room.
Green Features: One of the most environmentally friendly hotels in Chicago, they received an award.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments! We could not be happier that you had a great stay or that our team was so helpful with all of your needs. I will certainly share your compliments with each of them and hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Thanks again!

Chicago
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I booked this room to enjoy my birthday downtown and I was in awe as soon as I walked in the lobby! Great decor, friendly staff, the room was wonderful with an amazing view!! Ordered room service at 2am and it was quick and delicious. I will definitely stay here again and I have already recommended this hotel to all my friends

• Stayed May 2014
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us and for the fantastic review! I am thrilled that you loved every aspect of your stay and that you plan to return. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Glasgow
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Myself and my husband spent a fabulous 6 nights in Chicago staying at the Radisson Blu. We were immediately impressed on the viewing of the building, it is incredible and were not disappointed on entry very stylish and staff were very friendly.
We had a room overlooking Millennium Park. It was lovely clean and crisp with a large bathroom and walk in shower. Plenty of room & immaculately clean. Great This Works toiletries. The bed was very comfortable and a coffee machine with Lavazza coffee provided.
There are also really great facilities. There’s an indoor lap pool and larger pool outside. The outside area is nicely landscaped and there’s a running track. We didn't manage to use these as schedule was jammed packed but they didn't seem too busy when we had a quick look.
There’s a smart bar area, as well as restaurant were we ate on one occasion and my husband rated it as one of the top meals he has had in a long time.
The location is great – close to the park, a short walk to “ the Bean”, the Loop, the Art Institute, “Magnificent Mile”… We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I can't thank you enough for your wonderful review! I am thrilled that you had a fantastic stay and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Chicago. I will be sure to share your compliments with our team. Thanks again!

Medina, Ohio
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Upon calling the Radisson Blu for instructions to the hotel, the operator, Carmen offered perfect instructions to get to the Radisson the best and most cost effect way. Carmen next insisted I call her upon check in so she could insure my satisfaction.
Next, Bob at the front greater me, took my bag, introduced himself to me and to a front desk employee. I asked if I would receive a good room only to receive a response of, " I think you'll be pleased with the view", and her quiet confidence was correct.
After a productive business day, I took supper at the hotel bar and met Angela who recommended a fabulous soup and salad combo with great taste and freshness...wow!
Lastly, I asked for the Manager and was great by a very professional looking Pierce who expected the worst yet very cheerfully and with great confidence started with," How may I help?"
Great team, great room, new hotel, great food...this is THE Chicago place to be for business or a wonderful get a way!

Room Tip: Ask the front desk staff if they have a personal favorite...they won't let you down.
Green Features: EVERY employee looks to make eye contact and cheerfully seek to interact with the guests and personally improve that persons stay!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving us a review! I could not be happier that you had a fantastic stay or that our team was so helpful with your needs. I will certainly share your compliments with each of them. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!