“Pretty good, but warm room”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #22 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Indianapolis
“Pretty good, but warm room”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Thumbs up: the lobby and bar area are really nice, modern rooms, good location to walk around Chicago, the balcony was nice with a good view

Thumbs down: temperature control in the room, one couple did not have balcony access from their room and were told they would, elevators seemed slow

We did call the front desk to see if someone could do something about the air conditioning in our room since it wasn't cooling properly and they did send someone up, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, which really affected my sleep and my husband's. The bed itself was comfortable, but I don't sleep well in a warm room. The building itself looks really cool when it is lit up blue at night. While I did like the hotel, I'm still up in the air about whether or not I would stay there again. There are lots of options in Chicago!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Work-for-the-weekend
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for the review. I am happy that you enjoyed the design details during your stay. I would, however, like to apologize that your room was too warm and that our engineering team was unable to correct this unit. I am truly sorry for any frustration this caused and hope that you will still return in the future.

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Really clean and modern, with great rooms - particularly the bathroom which verges on 5*. Staff at the front desk all perfect, very welcoming and nothing too much. Really comfortable bed and great TV.

Best feature of the hotel was the pools and fitness centre - exceeds the standard of most fitness clubs! Very quiet too so no issues getting the kit you want or a lane in the pool. Restaurant/bar all sound.

Only couple of niggles which didn't really drag the visit down were long waits for the 2 elevators at busy times (lots more available for the rental units though), and a bit of a walk to the metro stations (though there is a bus and lots of taxis).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gordonl
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had such a great experience at the hotel and that you were able to enjoy the fitness center and pool. I will be sure to share your compliments with our team. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2013

So, it’s 11:00 on a Sunday night and we are checking in to the hotel at the front desk. While not hostile, the check-in guy is rather…sedate. He says hi. We say we have a reservation. He asks for the name and procedes to check us in, hands us the keys and we are escorted to the room by a valet. Fine, I guess.

Yeah, except that we are standing the in front of this dork glowing, bubbly, and barely able to contain ourselves and IN FULL WEDDING REGALIA! I have on a beautiful wedding gown and my new husband is wearing a suit, tie, boutonniere, and pocket square. In fact, we look rather dashing. We’ve just come from the best, most fun wedding ever and are so excited to be newly married.

Seriously, the dork at the desk killed the high. And I wondered WHO THE HELL checked in just before us that we were no big deal? As we walked to the elevator I craned my neck trying to get a glimpse around the (relatively empty) sitting area to see if the Queen of England happened to be fumbling in her handbag or something.

We actually got more excitement over the phone from the front desk girl in the morning. I called down to ask if we could get an extra half hour beyond checkout time because we got a late start having just gotten married last night. She was all excited, told us no problem, and asked if we needed anything else. How nice—and I wasn’t even standing in front of her in a wedding dress.

The room was okay. The view was okay. I dunno—it’s my fault—I had to, had to, HAD TO have a downtown hotel for my wedding night. A waste of money in hindsight. We left the next day for 3 weeks in Italy to stay at a variety of hotels for half the cost of this one and this was by far the LEAST FAVORITE hotel we stayed in on our honeymoon. Even though other Italian hotels didn’t have sumptuous beds or downtown views, they were all friendly and many were excited we were on our honeymoon. Even without standing in front of the check-in guy wearing a wedding dress.

I’ll also add that despite the ridiculously overpriced accommodation, the parking was an extra $50. Really??? $300 for the room wasn’t enough?

My advice—skip the hoo-hah of a downtown hotel. We got married out in Glenview and could have stayed at a nice Wyndham Suites 5 minutes away from our reception for half the price, but instead we drove all the way into the city to stay here. We travel internationally A LOT and never stay in fancy hotels, so I guess this first time ever splurge staying in a fancy-pants place I was expecting…I dunno…something special. Or at least as special as our wedding day had been.

My wedding was so lovely that this hotel is the ONLY thing I would have done differently!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alyosha666
Congratulations on your recent wedding! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. I am truly sorry that your check in agent did not do a better job in acknowledging your special day and that he did not share in your excitement. We are honored that you spent such a special occasion with us, and I cannot apologize enough that we did not share in your joy. I am also sorry that you were not aware of the cost of parking. Unfortunately, like most hotels in the city, we do not own the parking garage and the rates are actually charged to a different parking company. I assure you, we work diligently with them to ensure our rates are lower than our competitors. I apologize again for the disappointment and hope that you will return in the future so we can recoup your confidence in us.

Navesink, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel was very up to date which is what I loved about it, and I also love knowing that a woman designed this hotel (as I learned on the architecture tour of Chicago.) The front desk staff was great and very professional

However no one is perfect, their elevators are extremely slow (it looked like they were trying to get them fixed) but the 4 out 5 nights I was there I was waiting. In the room my AC would not go lower than 65 degrees which was definitely annoying and would go on and off, and waking up sweaty is something I hate! Also one of my co-workers got stuck in the stair well when going downstairs to workout. She took the stairs because the elevators were so slow and because running down stairs seemed like a good warm-up before working out. When stuck in the stair well there were Help Buttons, when she pressed the Help Button, she got NO ANSWER! I thought that was huge issue right there. She ended up finally getting out through a boiler type room and when she addressed it with hotel staff ( I was standing along side of her) I thought they could have been more considerate of what she had gone through of being stuck in a stair well, tugging on the doors trying to get out, and no one answering the HELP buttons. All they did was tell her that they would look into, and she never heard anything back from the staff( this was also a supervisor or manager she talked to, very tall man, I cant recall his name though). I just can not believe that they did not pursue the issue any further than that :/

But to end things on a better note this hotel did have a great pool/gym/spa area. I was actually blown away with all the stuff they had: steam, sauna, fire pit, cabana, etc ( do wish they would serve food out there though) It was all very nice and enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kirsten B
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed the design of the building, but I would like to apologize that there were some issues that occurred during your stay. The elevators unfortunately experienced unexpected delays, but have been repaired and are fully functioning. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you. I also apologize that your friend was in the stairwell and that our staff did properly address her concerns. We do secure the stairways and elevators because we are a mixed-use building and want to ensure safety on all of the guest floors. There are signs posted at every entrance indicating this and that the only open floor is at the lobby level. I am addressing that the help phone was not answered in a timely manner and hope that she was not upset over this experience. I hope that we have an opportunity to recoup your confidence in us in the future.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Maintaining a property so all areas appear as they were opened last month MUST be a challenge ....but the staff and management at this Radisson certainly exceed that challenge. I was in Chicago for a conference but look forward to returning with my wife for a longer visit. Every member of the staff with whom I spoke was polite and helpful. Ashley, at the front desk, was particularly helpful, especially when trying to get me checked in at a time when all rooms were not yet ready. (This was the day of the Black Hawks parade and the extra hundred-thousand folks in the city might have contributed to the delay..they were sold out the night before AND the first night of my stay).

This is a must-return-to hotel for me and I look forward to a more relaxed visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bquirouet
Thank you for your review. I could not be happier that you had such a great experience during your conference and that you plan to return for a leisure trip with your wife. I will share your compliments with our team; we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Exceptional service, very modern hip vibe and a great location to shopping and attractions! I would stay here every time I visit the great city of Chicago. The hotel is located in the center of the miracle mile section of the city. The rooms are large and well equipt. Tv and services are interactive and the section of the city is safe and clean. Great job Radission, my only wish is that are more Blu locations in the USA. I am a fan!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 16th floor, the balcony is worth the upgrade. You can soak up the sights and people...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adimartini
I can't thank you enough for your wonderful review! I will be sure to share your compliments with the team. We are continuing to expand the Blu brand, so be sure to look for us in new cities! I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My partner surprised me for our anniversary with a weekend at the Blu Auqa Hotel. Architecturally the building is stunning, unfortunately their are issues. Signage from the self-park to the lobby is horrible and once on the lobby floor their are no signs guiding you towards check-in. There are 4 elevators for 18 floors that ran slowly and then 1/2 way thru our stay 1 went out. The iPad in the room, while a nice idea never worked. Our room and bed were comfortable, as well as being quiet, we both got a good nights sleep for a hotel bed. The roof top park is beautiful, as well as, the park across the street. Location is close to Michigan Ave. and the lakefront.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HollywoodHank
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your overall experience, but I would like to apologize that you had difficulty locating the self parking area and that one of the elevators had an unexpected issue during your stay. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused. I am glad that you had a great night's sleep and were able to utilize the terrace. I hope that you will consider returning again in the future.