“A unique experience at the best hotel in town”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #30 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We think you have a superb hotel, location, cleanliness, staff, courtesy, timeliness and all those small things we did not find in other Chicago's best hotels. Your hotel was recommended to us by Mr. Predrag Petkovic, with praise and assurance that we would have a great and resplendent experience. The luxury, the response of your staff, the friendliness, the entire atmosphere, and especially the fair at the business section breakfast/coffee bar on the 17th floor has to be one of the most unique experiences one could have in a highest quality hotel. The maintenance of our room and the overall efficiency of that staff was unforgettable. We thanked Mr. Petkovic profusely and assured him that we will use NO OTHER hotel whenever we visit Chicago.

Room Tip: Try the 17th floor any room, it's great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank nefertari_13
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I could not be happier that you had such a memorable experience or that we stood out among other Chicago hotels! I will share your compliments with Predrag and the team and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Thanks again!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Write a ReviewReviews (5,029)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Location: The location is decent. You are a few blocks from Millenium Park and Grant Park is just a bit further. There is a CVS next door for incidentals. The subway is a bit of a walk, but that's the city for you. You can get some clear views of the Tower about a block and a half down.

Service: I had a few hiccups. The check-in desk has a pretentious feel to it. I had the same experience at check-in and check out. They weren't rude, per se, but things felt a little condescending. The maid service was terrible. I got a knock on my door at 9 AM about cleaning my room. I had to be somewhere at 10:30, so I was in the midst of finishing up a shower and shaving. I told her that I would be out in about an hour and asked her to please come back then. She never showed. My room wasn't cleaned either night that I stayed there. That wouldn't have been a big deal except for the fact that I had Lou Malnati's delivered on day 1. It doesn't smell quite as nice on day 3. The doormen were great and greeted me even as I walked past them on the street.

Rooms: the rooms are spacious and nice. I had a balcony with a park view. The shower could fit 8 people easily. The tub was also enormous. Plenty of channels available including HBO. The free wifi was fast and reliable. The mini bar scared me though. They have a note saying that even the slightest movement will charge a drink to your room. Beds are great with lots of pillows.

Overall, this is a nice 4-star hotel. However, I paid $300 per night for my room. I feel that this was $100 more than what it should have been with all factors considered. There's not really a view, you're not on the river/lake, Lake Station is almost a mile away, there are only a few restaurants in the immediate area and the lobby is filled with partygoers waiting to eat at Filini Restaurant. You really feel like you are checking into an airport. Nothing served as memorable.

2  Thank Spankytoes
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry that your recent stay was not memorable. On a positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed your room's layout and design. I would, however like to apologize that the service was not up to par and that you did not find us to be a good value. I am sharing your concerns with our management team so that we can rectify the issues you identified. Spring and summer are the busiest time in the city, which often means the rates are higher over these dates, but we do offer specials throughout the year and hope that you will reconsider returning in the future. I apologize again for your experience.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a strange hotel. It's new and some of the service issues can be thus attributed, the more serious ones are permanent, however.
There are no (zero) drawers in the three flimsy pieces of furniture that could easily accommodate them but the owners have apparently chosen to forego drawers. The windows, which feature a wonderful view, appeared to have been spat upon and it took two days to get them cleaned even though they were easily accessible from balconies.

The room service burger was tasty, but the request for "extra" such exotic items as mayo, ketchup, & mustard so flustered the staff that they sent none. Of course, the burger and fries were cold by the time condiments did arrive.
So, the next night an order for two burgers and "extra" condiments - with a full retelling of the woes from the night before resulted in one step forward and two back; one set of condiments for the two burgers but "oops" on the beverages. When she brought the drinks, she did bring the three extra sets of condiments and did comp the order.

The staff was very nice but the systems in place here are so atypical that they really should make an extra effort to coddle the guests.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank BillyReyn

Thank you for your review. I am sharing your comments with our team, and I am truly sorry for the disappointing stay you experienced. I am addressing your concerns with our room service and restaurant teams so that a similar situation does not occur again. I am glad that they were able to provide your second dinner complimentary, but I understand that this does not make up for the frustration you experienced. I also apologize that the balcony windows were not properly maintained. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back; I am sure that we can recoup your confidence in us. I apologize again for the disappointing experience this week.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The entire staff is always hospitable and courteous. Seem to always remember your name upon check-in. Walking distance to my corporate office which makes it convenient as a business traveler.
Rooms are spacious and always inpectable clean!
NAPA - Dallas, Texas

1  Thank NAPA1958
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had such a great stay and that our team was helpful throughout your visit. I am also glad that our location is convenient to your office! I hope that we see you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am a fairly frequent visitor to Chicago and watched with interest as the Aqua tower went up. It is a stunningly beautiful building. So when my usual hotel in Chicago was booked for a conference, I jumped at the chance to stay here. It is a very modern and sleek hotel, but quite warm in tone. The front desk is rather spartan, but the staff were warm and welcoming. The lobby near the elevators was über-cool in coppery metallic tones and with a beautiful and very long ribbon fireplace. I liked that the elevators always require a keycard to go up.

My standard king room was quite small, but extremely clean and well-furnished and colorful with teal carpeting. The bathroom was very Euro-modern. No bathtub (a good thing), but a great stall shower with excellent water pressure from a rainshower head.

The bed was quite comfortable, there were plenty of outlets for all my gadget chargers and it was pretty quiet. My only real issue with the room was that there was very little room between the desk and the window. There was literally no room to move - I had to squeeze into sit in the desk chair (and I am not a large person, thank you very much).

There is a large CVS on the corner of the building, which is very convenient. Taxis were in good supply, but the hotel is within walking distance of most downtown attractions, most notably the wonderful Millennium Park, a few blocks away. All in all, a very nice stay.

1  Thank hartss
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had such a great stay and that you enjoyed the design of the lobby and our rooms. I am also glad that the location was prefect for your needs. I hope that we see you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a very new hotel with an ultra-modern decor. The location is excellent for sights in or near the loop. Of particular note is the location adjacent to the fabulous Millenium Park. Our room was on the 12th floor. Very comfortable bed, good mini-bar, excellent shower stall, perfect free WiFi, quiet, clean, good lighting, great TV coverage. The fitness room is the biggest I've ever seen and the business centre contains several computer terminals. We had dinner one night in the hotel and the food was very good. Front desk staff and front-of-hotel staff are very courteous and helpful. Would we stay here again? YES

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beaway24
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments! I could not be happier that you had such an enjoyable experience with us or that you were able to utilize our amenity spaces. I will share your compliments with our team, and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Radisson Blu Aqua is located in a beautiful location that not only offers great views of the Navy Pier (if your room is on that side), but is also a great location for convenience and access to so many of the attractions in downtown Chicago. Walking distance (easy walking distance, even in heels) to Millennium Park and the Magnificent Mile. Right on the water.
Additionally, the hotel is smartly decorated with a bright and simple theme that allows you to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. The balcony rooms seem to be done with light wood and white accents while the non-balcony rooms are a little darker with blacks and teals (based on my experience staying in different rooms, not 100% sure all balconies/non-balconies follow this standard). The rooms are clean and spacious with all the amenities.
I believe the room rate is very fair in comparison to other hotels of similar quality in the area. In fact, the Radission is generally less expensive. Courteous staff. Great food as well.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are great, and a view of the Navy Pier is hard to beat.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for your review! I could not be happier that you had such an enjoyable stay or that our location is perfect for your needs. You are correct in that we have two different designs and that several of our rooms offer balconies. There are rooms of both designs with this feature. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!