“Everything Was Perfect”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #27 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 6, 2013

There was absolutely nothing about this hotel that I did not enjoy. From the architecture (and Chicago has some great buildings and scenery), to the staff to the room. Even though this is one of the few hotels I'm not a frequent resident at, the nice lady at the front desk signed me into the program, then gave me a great corner room on the 15th floor. The room was simply the best I have stayed at in a long time. Great views, a great wrap around balcony (not for those with acrophobia, particularly when it is windy!), very clean and spacious, and a great shower. And they addressed one of my pet peeves - Internet access at high-end hotels. Usually, there is a $10 nightly charge - here it is free. And high speed.

The workout facilities and indoor lap pool were also excellent. Breakfast was very good. For bad weather days, there is a link to the underground pedway. The staff, from the concierge to the front desk to the doormen, were all friendly, helpful, and had excellent recommendations. A very good location in Chicago, and definitely a place to come back to. Five nights with some of the best sleep I've had in ages.

Room Tip: The higher the better, but take a corner room over height any time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SaltWaterCroc
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. I could not be more pleased that you had such a memorable stay or and got a great night's sleep! I will share your compliments with our team, and I hope that we see you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Write a ReviewReviews (4,941)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Luring by the stunning beauty of the new hotel on the banks of Lake Michigan, we made a reservation to stay there for three nights. We even investigated leasing a unit in the upper floors. We had a fine experience, but I would be less than honest without a few quibbles: (1) the shower in our room was difficult to turn on without getting drenched in ice cold water. The shower floor was slippery, even though a grab bar was included. (2) some of the usual amenities were missing for a four star hotel, e.g. no towels for guests in the pool area, no mouthwash or make-up applicators, no fresh fruit or coffee in the lobby or chocolates with turndowns, no visible earphones for listening to music or watching TV in the exercise space. You cannot get The Chicago Tribune (!) delivered to your room in the morning or for purchase somewhere in the hotel. The good news is the staying at an architectural landmark, a staff that is helpful and friendly and a stunning and modern decor. The bar lounge was hopping! The location is one of the best in downtown Chicago.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor for hotel guests (13th) and had a good view of Lake Michigan, marred only b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your experience with us so much that you even looked into an apartment in the building! I am also glad that the location was perfect for everything you wanted to do during your visit. I would, however, like to apologize for the concerns you mentioned. I am sharing your thoughts with our management team, and I am truly sorry for any disappointment you experienced. I hope that we see you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

A beautiful hotel in the heart of Chicago. The Radisson Blu is close to Millennium Park and the Magnificent Mile. Very centrally located, it offers a welcoming respite from the bustle of the city. The room was spacious, very clean and nicely appointed. The bathroom was huge, bright, modern and absolutely pristine. The closet had a lovely aroma of cedar and on the shelves were two crisp cotton bathrobes. Our balcony had a beautiful view of Millennium Park and the Navy Pier. The reception area seemed a little smaller than I would have expected but behind it is a beautiful modern lounge w/ glass-tiled walls and plush seating. In the morning they offer complementary coffee (self-serve Nespresso machine) and fruits. The concierge, Ruben, was so helpful – he planned a very nice walking itinerary for us and was really gracious and eager to help.
The building itself is a work of art and amazing architecture.
I would definitely and gladly return to the Radisson Blue and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room - beautiful views!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed your room and view. I will also share your compliments with Ruben. I am happy that he was able to help you plan a beautiful walk to each of your destinations. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Fabulous modern corner room which was spacious and had a great view ( even from the 5th )....the gym is excellent and so are the facilities in general. Good location with lots of attractions and shopping in close vicinity.

Compared to other hotels of them same caliber, the room service menu was very limited in choice but the service was prompt and courteous and the food tasty.

I gave 3 stars instead of 4 or 5 primarily due to my experience on arrival. The front, desk clerk who checked me in was rude ,and abrupt and had an attitude from the get go... Almost passive aggressive. I asked for a room on a higher floor and said that the room per the online description was supposed to be on a high floor....she abruptly denied my request after a cursory glance at her screen and made no effort to offer an alternative even in another category!!. She simply handed over the keys with a take it or leave it attitude signaling an end to the discussion, ..not a good first impression and far from the 100% customer satisfaction advertised!!!!! I asked that she look in other categories as i was more interested in having a nice view . She reluctantly glanced at her screen again as if going through the motions for two seconds and said i had no other option. I commented that I did not feel I was being treated as a valued guest or that she was making a genuine effort to accomodate me and would consider shortening my stay . She shrugged pointed the way to the elevators and snidely remarked that I give 24 hours notice to shorten my stay or else I would be penalized . The room i got turned out to be fine in the end but her attitude was really off putting and not the kind of welcome one would expect .

Everyone else I encountered from housekeeping to the concierge were professional and pleasant .

Room Tip: Corner rooms are spacious!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your overall experience and that the fitness center and general facilities were perfect for your needs. I also appreciate that you brought your arrival experience to my attention. I am truly sorry that this was your initial impression, and I assure you, this is not our normal standard. I am addressing your comments personally. I hope that you will return to the hotel so that you can experience the hospitality we are known for.

Thanks again,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Over the Easter break, this modern, relaxed hotel offered the perfect location to see downtown Chicago and explore this wonderful city. Within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile, the Loop and Millenium Park, we soon got orientated and were able to get the most of of our time in Chi Town. My teenage son spent 2-3 hours a day on the wonderful basketball court, open at all hours, making loads of friends during the week. The Radisson staff could not have been more insightful on restaurant and breakfast recommendations; Eggy's for a good start to the day and Lou Malnati's for the best deep dish pizza. We managed to see three Chicago Blackhawks games and one Bulls match aswell as an enjoyable tour of Wrigley Field. It was just too cold to handle the MLB Opening Day White Sox game...baseball is a summer sport to be enjoyed in shorts and T-shirts after all! Ken Sullivan the lead Concierge was quite simply awesome. Friendly, knowledgeable and happy to chat to us Brits and educate us on anything to do with US & NCAA sports. He could not have been more helpful or expert in his job. Don't forget to visit Mr Beef for the best Chicago Italian Beef, although Al's does come a close second.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. I am honored that you had such a great experience and that your son enjoyed the basketball court. I am also happy that you were able to go to so many events while you were in town. I will share your compliments with Ken; he will be thrilled to have made such a impact on your stay. I hope that we see you again the next time you are in Chicago!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband, two teenage sons and I were considering what to do for our Spring Break this year. Since my boys are big basketball players and fans I googled "basketball court and Chicago hotels" and discovered that the Radisson Blue has a half court open 24 hours in their hotel. After doing extensive research online and through Trip Advisor - I made reservations for our 4 night stay at Raddison Blu. The hotel is easily accessible by train from the airport. The interior is sophisticated, modern and inviting. We were greeted enthusiastically by every staff member that we encountered throughout our stay. By the end of our stay, I felt as though we were leaving our good friends and a home away from home - that's how inviting and personal our visit was at the hotel! We were in need of tickets to the big Bulls vs. Miami Heat game and Ken Sullivan, Chef Concierge, and all around great guy - was able to hook us up with some incredible tickets. Not only did he help us with obtaining tickets for this sold out game - he and his team provided us with tons of advise on activities, restaurants and other endless questions we had during our visit. Each time he greeted us with a sincere smile and provided excellent advice. We had two rooms on the business class floor and enjoyed the beautiful view from our windows and used the business class lounge nightly to sit and relax. The rooms were spotless. In other hotels, I've had the experience of hearing the housekeeping staff talking and making tons of noise in the hallway - however at Raddison Blu, we were never disturbed by any noise and housekeeping was just as friendly and unobtrusive as all of the other hotel staff.
We enjoyed an incredible breakfast at Wildberry Cafe - a block away from the hotel. Had lots of coffee at our favorite coffee house, Intelligentsia - only 2 1/2 blocks away and I found a great boot camp instructor and personal trainer, Sho Pettaway, at LA Fitness which is above Intelligentsia.
Overall, my stay at Raddison Blue in Chicago was fabulous. I have stayed at many high end hotels and this trip was my all time favorite as it had everything. Great city, perfect hotel, staff that went out of their way, all of the amenities that we wanted or needed, a half court for my teenage sons and a relaxing stay.
Thank you to all of the staff for making Raddison Blu, Chicago our new home away from home. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I can't thank you enough for your wonderful comments! I am thrilled that you had such a memorable experience and that you were able to take advantage of the basketball court and business class lounge. I have also shared your compliments with Ken and the team, and everyone was honored by your kind words. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Honestly the best hotel experience I have ever had,my sister and I stayed to celebrate her birthday and the hotel staff were so accommodating,helpful with any question we had and even put a dish with treats and happy birthday written on it. Loved all the amenities offered and we got to enjoy the business lounge on the 17th floor it was wonderful! So beautifully decorated it was fun to just walk around and enjoy the hotel decor. Amenities galore,pet friendly,so much to see and do that pictures don't do it justice. I really appreciated the hospitality of Chantal who works there,she went out of her way to welcome us and tell us more about the hotel and where to go,she is great and a valuable asset to the hotel!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms as they all have great views and great amen...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for your review and for spending your sister's birthday with us. I could not be happier that you enjoyed the amenities and that our team was so accommodating. I will be sure to share your compliments with Chantal! I hope that we see you again on your next trip to Chicago!