“Chi Town sporting holiday at an excellent hotel”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #22 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Chi Town sporting holiday at an excellent hotel”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Over the Easter break, this modern, relaxed hotel offered the perfect location to see downtown Chicago and explore this wonderful city. Within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile, the Loop and Millenium Park, we soon got orientated and were able to get the most of of our time in Chi Town. My teenage son spent 2-3 hours a day on the wonderful basketball court, open at all hours, making loads of friends during the week. The Radisson staff could not have been more insightful on restaurant and breakfast recommendations; Eggy's for a good start to the day and Lou Malnati's for the best deep dish pizza. We managed to see three Chicago Blackhawks games and one Bulls match aswell as an enjoyable tour of Wrigley Field. It was just too cold to handle the MLB Opening Day White Sox game...baseball is a summer sport to be enjoyed in shorts and T-shirts after all! Ken Sullivan the lead Concierge was quite simply awesome. Friendly, knowledgeable and happy to chat to us Brits and educate us on anything to do with US & NCAA sports. He could not have been more helpful or expert in his job. Don't forget to visit Mr Beef for the best Chicago Italian Beef, although Al's does come a close second.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am honored that you had such a great experience and that your son enjoyed the basketball court. I am also happy that you were able to go to so many events while you were in town. I will share your compliments with Ken; he will be thrilled to have made such a impact on your stay. I hope that we see you again the next time you are in Chicago!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband, two teenage sons and I were considering what to do for our Spring Break this year. Since my boys are big basketball players and fans I googled "basketball court and Chicago hotels" and discovered that the Radisson Blue has a half court open 24 hours in their hotel. After doing extensive research online and through Trip Advisor - I made reservations for our 4 night stay at Raddison Blu. The hotel is easily accessible by train from the airport. The interior is sophisticated, modern and inviting. We were greeted enthusiastically by every staff member that we encountered throughout our stay. By the end of our stay, I felt as though we were leaving our good friends and a home away from home - that's how inviting and personal our visit was at the hotel! We were in need of tickets to the big Bulls vs. Miami Heat game and Ken Sullivan, Chef Concierge, and all around great guy - was able to hook us up with some incredible tickets. Not only did he help us with obtaining tickets for this sold out game - he and his team provided us with tons of advise on activities, restaurants and other endless questions we had during our visit. Each time he greeted us with a sincere smile and provided excellent advice. We had two rooms on the business class floor and enjoyed the beautiful view from our windows and used the business class lounge nightly to sit and relax. The rooms were spotless. In other hotels, I've had the experience of hearing the housekeeping staff talking and making tons of noise in the hallway - however at Raddison Blu, we were never disturbed by any noise and housekeeping was just as friendly and unobtrusive as all of the other hotel staff.
We enjoyed an incredible breakfast at Wildberry Cafe - a block away from the hotel. Had lots of coffee at our favorite coffee house, Intelligentsia - only 2 1/2 blocks away and I found a great boot camp instructor and personal trainer, Sho Pettaway, at LA Fitness which is above Intelligentsia.
Overall, my stay at Raddison Blue in Chicago was fabulous. I have stayed at many high end hotels and this trip was my all time favorite as it had everything. Great city, perfect hotel, staff that went out of their way, all of the amenities that we wanted or needed, a half court for my teenage sons and a relaxing stay.
Thank you to all of the staff for making Raddison Blu, Chicago our new home away from home. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I can't thank you enough for your wonderful comments! I am thrilled that you had such a memorable experience and that you were able to take advantage of the basketball court and business class lounge. I have also shared your compliments with Ken and the team, and everyone was honored by your kind words. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Honestly the best hotel experience I have ever had,my sister and I stayed to celebrate her birthday and the hotel staff were so accommodating,helpful with any question we had and even put a dish with treats and happy birthday written on it. Loved all the amenities offered and we got to enjoy the business lounge on the 17th floor it was wonderful! So beautifully decorated it was fun to just walk around and enjoy the hotel decor. Amenities galore,pet friendly,so much to see and do that pictures don't do it justice. I really appreciated the hospitality of Chantal who works there,she went out of her way to welcome us and tell us more about the hotel and where to go,she is great and a valuable asset to the hotel!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms as they all have great views and great amen...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your review and for spending your sister's birthday with us. I could not be happier that you enjoyed the amenities and that our team was so accommodating. I will be sure to share your compliments with Chantal! I hope that we see you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

There are many great things to write about this hotel, I have lauded the hotel in my past reviews. On this last visit i was really disappointed in the lounge/bar. There were three stools broken at the bar!? One of them was broken on my last visit in Dec. the bartender told me they were going to be replaced in March - then she said "oh wait it's April". Huh, a year? Or is there no plan to replace? It really looked like a cheap tavern when I was there this April (2013). My next complaint is the housekeeping in the bar/ lounge. How could there possibly be that many handprints, smudges, and "gunk" on the ceiling? Really low class - please clean up the act, it is embarrassing. BTW the glass door windows to the patio are filthy an streaked. You may need to teach your crew how to wash windows for sidewalk patio areas. I love the hotel, but I will have my cocktail meetings somewhere else, until remedied. At your drink prices, I can find a hundred other places to relax an entertain clients.

Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SwissMr
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you have always had positive experiences at the hotel and that you continue to choose to stay with us. I would like to apologize that your past experience at Filini Bar was disappointing. We are looking further into each of your comments, and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience we caused. I hope that you will return to both the hotel and the bar so that we can recoup your confidence in us.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful hotel. The rooms are modern, tastefully decorated and well appointed. Breakfast was excellent and served by a very polite waiter. I will definitely stay here when I return to Chicago.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I could not be happier that you enjoyed your room design and stay with us. I am also happy that your breakfast service was excellent. I hope that we see you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed two nights with my wife and 1-year old son - they joined me on a business trip. Beautiful interior design throughout the hotel. Room had a great view of the Millennium Park area and nearby buildings. There is a playground nearby which was a delight for my son. He also enjoyed the indoor pool. We had great experiences in the hotel restaurant (two breakfasts). Food was delicious and staff was friendly and attentive. I accidentally left an item behind and the security team was helpful and efficient in locating the item and getting it back to me. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am happy that you and your family had such a great stay and that you enjoyed your breakfast in Filini. I hope we see you again soon!

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Wonderful, fascinating hotel!! We stayed here for a few days over Spring Break (April 3-5). What a wonderful surprise this hotel was. The location was within easy walking distance to Art Museum, Macy's on State, Navy Pier and restaurants. It has a fabulous workout facility! The indoor pool is only two lanes so don't plan on your kids having a ton of fun playing in the indoor pool. HOWEVER, the outdoor pool looks great!

There are two room designs to this hotel. We didn't know that upon check-in. We were given a room that was nice, clean, and had room enough for 4 people. The bathroom was modern with a cool shower spigot embedded in the ceiling. Don't worry there is plenty of water pressure to wash your hair.

The only thing to complain about for us was the room was very dark; one wall was painted black, black tilling, black furniture. There were pops of color but for us it was a little claustrophobic. In casual conversation with the front desk we mentioned the interesting color choice and they offered us the different room decor immediately. It wasn't a big deal to us, so we stayed where we were.

Speaking of decor; much of the design comes from re-purposed and reclaimed items from around the City of Chicago. We think they should offer a tour of the hotel and point out what was salvaged from around the city. The items pointed out to us where very interesting and it would have been fun to hear more. Make sure to ask the front desk about where their wall came from.

The hotel employees are awesome! Friendly, knowledgeable, welcoming and they really want to make your stay memorable! One of the best staff we have ever encountered! Clearly, Blu is doing something right in their customer service training!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim L
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you and your family had a great experience and that you learned about some of the materials we used in the design. I am sharing your compliments with our team and very much appreciate your kind words about them. I apologize that your room was too dark for your needs and hope that you are able to try the other style during your next stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!