“Not up to Blu standard”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Canada
“Not up to Blu standard”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the first Radisson Blu in North America. It does not meet the standard for the brand that you see in Europe. The rooms are nice and are fine. But the hotel seems designed to minimize staffing. No one offered to help with our bags. One morning no one was on the front desk to check-in customers for a while. No attendant at the pool or the gym. There are also no towels for the gym, or for the steam or sauna. That is weak for a hotel of this standard. Basically the hotel is only one part of a skyscraper that is mostly condos and apartments. On the plus side, the hotel is well-located, and the pool and health club are large and very nice since they are for both the residents and the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JWCCanada
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for leaving us a review. I am truly sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us and that you did not feel we lived up to the Radisson Blu standard of other European hotels. I am sharing your comments with our team and am truly sorry for any delay we caused for you. I hope that you will return to the hotel so that we can recoup your confidence in us and show you the service levels we strive to reach.

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Castroville, TX
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The best thing about this hotel is the outside balconies and the overall effect they have on the exterior of the building. But once inside, things become claustrophobic, cluttered and confusing. One guest told me he felt like he was in the interior of a cruise ship, with passageways to nowhere. Multiple banks of elevators scattered here and there, hallway graphics that clash and cryptically inform. To top it off, every move you make has to be done with your room key card, even getting towels at the pool. Only James Bond would be happy with this set up.

Checking in the lobby is for some reason is something of an afterthought, in a cramped area to the left of the main door. Yet there is a huge volume of space when you first enter extending into infinite space dedicated to just sitting on large sofas and chairs looking cool and very Blu. Maybe these people have given up looking for their rooms.

The rooms themselves are light, airy, and very over lit. A dimmer would have been nice. Bathroom doors slide but never really close, and you have to enter the shower to turn on the water as it rains on you overhead. A perfect symbol to the many minor annoyances that this hotel offers.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Castrolandia
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for leaving us a review. I am happy that you enjoyed the exterior of the hotel and your balcony, but I would like to apologize that you were disappointed by the interior design. I also understand your frustration regarding using your key to access amenity areas. We do this to ensure guest safety since we are a mixed-use building. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you. We hope that you will return so that we can recoup your confidence in us.

Dumont, New Jersey
Reviewed September 23, 2012

RADISSON BLU HOTEL, CHICAGO: We recently stayed two nights at the new Radisson Blu Hotel in Chicago on our way back to New Jersey. We had tickets to a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field on Sunday so just really needed a nice place to stay. I found the hotel online and liked that they had an optional upgrade to a balcony room if available for $11 and they had great facilities (indoor/outdoor pool, gym, restaurant, etc.).
We loved this hotel and would go back there in a heartbeat. First of all, the check-in was welcoming, efficient, and knowledgeable. Our upgrade was available. The concierge told us the best way to get to Wrigley. The room was beautiful! New, boutique décor, spotlessly clean, impeccably equipped; the floor of the foyer is covered with large black galaxy tiles that contain little flecks of metal. Small, high-intensity lights from the ceiling bounce light off the metal, creating little circles of light on the walls and furniture. Very bling! The tile carries through to the bathroom which also has a black galaxy sink. The ceiling lights are here, also, flashing little lights everywhere. The shower is large and in a separate room next to it there is a toilet. The opaque glass door to the shower is hung on a barn-door fixture so it can slide. You can have privacy either in the shower area or the toilet area. If the shower is left open, it is large enough so water does not go out in the room. I can’t say enough about the décor. I took notes because I’m redoing a bathroom at home.
We had a delicious meal at the hotel restaurant, Fellini. Only complaint was the noise level which I suspect was the result of putting small (8” square?) tiles on the ceiling which are sure to bounce sound all over. The next night the Concierge recommended a French restaurant to us within walking distance which was delicious, quiet, and appropriately priced.

Thanks to this hotel, we had a great weekend. And the Cubbies won!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveMerry
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your review! I am happy that you had a great stay and dinner in Filini! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience and are honored that you are taking some of our design element ideas back to use at your own home. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the city!

San Jose, California
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My parents were planning on going to Chicago for my father's 81st birthday and their 43rd wedding anniversary. When I asked where they were planning on staying, they replied 'Red Roof Inn'. Noooooooo! I quickly called Blu Aqua Hotel and booked a 2-night stay (my treat!) for them. Blu Aqua was awesome! They first looked to see if there were any specials they had for seniors. They didn't at the time, so they offered a breakfast and balcony room package deal.

Blu Aqua upgraded my parents room to a corner room (much bigger) with wrap around balcony. They had beautiful chocolates waiting in their room (a birthday and anniversary gift from hotel). They also allowed my parents a super late check out.

While in Chicago, my Dad got his wallet snatched (not anywhere near the hotel). The Concierge totally helped Dad cancel his cards by looking online for phone numbers, etc. This would have taken a huge amount of time (and a lot of stress) for my non-tech savvy parents to do this on their own. I totally appreciate how Blu Aqu took care of my parents (especially after the wallet snatching - and helped make such an enjoyable trip).

My parents are older (Mom - 72, Dad - 81). It's nice to know someone (Blu Aqu) is looking out for them - when I'm thousands of miles away. THANK YOU, Blu Aqu!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! It was an honor to host your parents during their celebration and we very much appreciate your kind words. I am sorry to hear about your father's wallet, but I am happy that our team was able to assist. I have shared your compliments with everyone; we hope to see you and your parents back at the hotel soon!

New York
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was here for a conference and was fully prepared to find an over-hyped, average hotel geared towards mid-week business travelers (i.e. not bad, not great), but I was pleasantly surprised. The wonderful location aside, the decor is very cool and modern (but not overtly abstract or funky), service was impeccable, and my room was super-clean and comfortable (that shower!). Not to mention the meeting facilities were actually really great, and the continental breakfast quite above-average. I would definitely stay here again....maybe next time I'll even get a chance to try out the outdoor sundeck + pool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you were impressed with our facilities and that you thought we lived up to the hype! I have shared your comments with our team and everyone was happy that you had a great stay and a great experience with our banquests department. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed four nights in Chicago and the location of this hotel was great. The building itself is worth seeing even if you don't stay there. The service was impeccable everywhere, specially in the restaurant. We had a standard room, which even though was rather small, had everything we needed and was stylishly decorated. The only thing that I didn't like much is something I've seen more and more in modern hotels: the bathroom had a sliding door and not a "real" door. That gave us a sense of loss of privacy while in the toilette. I consider this a case of "over design". Quite likely we will return in a future visit to Chicago, city that is worth many visits and the Radisson Blu Aqua is a place we'd stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for leaving us a review! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and have shared your compliments with our team. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the city!

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Outstanding staff, comfortable stay, great view and a location that puts you wherever you want to be in minutes. We were impressed. The rooms are modern, clean and anticipate all your nees. A wonderful stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay and that our location was perfect for everything you wanted to do in the city. We look forward to seeing you again soon!