“5 Star Experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“5 Star Experience”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

What a cool hotel! The building is one of the most beautiful structures I have seen in the US. The staff was terrific and very helpful and friendly. The rooms are well thoughtout and very hip! Could not have been happier!

Room Tip: The business class upgrade was worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you had such a great stay and that you enjoyed our building inside and out! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brimley, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel on the Near East Side downtown by the river last week. The property was immaculate with modern styling and an outstanding staff. The room was fantastic, large with a large new bathroom, standup shower with rainshower head and very clean and well appointed. Bed was great with a great view of the city. Nice work area for my laptop and good Internet connectivity. They also have a great outdoor space and workout floor! The price was less than half of what I have paid for Michigan Ave hotels that had small older rooms and no space. The location was right downtown next to the river and just three short blocks from Michigan Ave. Convenient to Millennium Park, Navy Pier and the transit system. This hotel is a quiet jem with very modern styling and everything a trip to downtown needs in a hotel. Very nice bar and restaurant on property and a connected parking garage.

Room Tip: I used my Club Carlson emails for notice of discounts and go 35% off the normal rates.
1 Thank Scubadivingtraveler
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay and that you thought we are exactly what a downtown hotel should be! I hope that we see you back at the hotel soon; thanks again!

Oakland, California
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Radisson Blu Aqua is a new hotel located just to the north side of Grant Park on Columbus Avenue. It is a bit out of the way of the major sites of downtown, but quiet and still quite convenient.

The rooms are very modern, and many (or most) have balconies (without furniture) should you want to stand outside for awhile. The bar is nice, with a wide selection of liquor, and the restaurant was fine for breakfast (although I did not have dinner there.)

Overall, it's a perfectly fine place to spend a little time while in Chicago.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room with balcony for extra space.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments! I am thrilled that you had such a nice stay with us and that you enjoyed our location, balconies and the restaurant. I hope that we see you back at the hotel soon! Thanks again!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We chose this hotel due to close proximity to a family event we were invited to. We spent there one night only. The service was OK, room was modern, clean and very spacious. To my surprise we were charged for using the in-room mini bar, which I know we didn't use and they put a credit hold on my credit card almost the triple cost of actual charges. The credit hold supposed to be released after about a week or so.... We travel a lot but this was the first time a hotel put such a high credit hold on my credit card and I have never been charged for anything I have not used, in this case the room's mini bar. Also if you are a light sleeper, be aware of the Chicago Fire Station across the street..

Room Tip: don't get any rooms on side of the Fire Station - very noisy, and beware of unusual charges
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom W
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for leaving us a review; I am truly sorry that you had a disappointing stay with us. We do take an authorization upon arrival for room, tax and an additional $75 for any incidentals (parking, restaurant, room service, minibar, spa services etc) but this amount is released by us upon departure and by your bank within a few days. If this is not that case for you, please do not hesitiate to let us know and we will look further into it for you. I also apologize that you had minibar charges that were not yours. The minibars are on a sensor, so if items are taken out or moved they do automatically charge your folio. I am gald that our front office team was able to resolve this issue for you. I hope that you will return so we can recoup your confidence in us; thanks again for sharing your experience.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I stayed only one night at the Aqua. I was impressed. The exercise facilities are great. Having an indoor as well as an outdoor pool means a person can swim year round, but can also swim in summer without worrying too much about sunscreen. Walking around the exercise track while the city was waking up on Easter Monday was delightful. As I was there because I had a weekend at a spa, and had an extra day of holiday, I appreciated keeping up the fitness routine. The hotel decor is tasteful, stylish, and environmentally friendly. There were a few minor problems with the room - the blind was not functioning because it had folded over itself and the height of the windows prevented me - or anyone - from fixing it without a ladder. When I reported it the front desk offered to send someone up immediately to fix it. I declined the offer because I was only staying one day, so it wasn't really important. I also filled out the comment card when I left, listing another minor issue - something to do with the desk or mini-bar. I think a drawer was unopenable because it had been installed on the wrong side of the furniture unit. I got a timely email from the hotel manager thanking me for my comments. As people may have noticed, the manager does watch this site and does reply to concerns expressed on Trip Advisor. Management sets the tone for customer service, and it was my experience that both the management and the desk staff were attentive and responsive to guests. Therefore, while some people may have experienced less than exemplary service, I had no such problems. Having said that, as a 50ish, fit and fairly attractive woman travelling solo, I have been subject to the 'find the cab, table, salesperson, etc the for the twentyish babes or the thirtyish couples, while pretending the fiftyish female does not exist' situation. I did not experience that at the Radisson Blu, but I did not have any need for the doorpeople or valets. Some hotel and other service staff - everywhere - need to be reminded that older people of any gender likely have more income and can and will tip better when they get the service that they want.

Room Tip: Try for a south side room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marg2006
Thank you for leaving us a review! I am honored that you had such a great stay and took the time to leave us your comments. I appreciate your compliments and we really do use everyones feedback to try and create a better experience for future guests. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon; thanks again!

Wisconsin
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just back from our two night stay at the Aqua Blu, for our first real visit to the windy city (aside from quick stops at the airport/train station. We arrived about noon, and our room was ready! We had reserved a city view balcony, and we were upgraded to a corner room. Simply beautiful. Large bath with shower and separate soaking tub, with soft hues of mint green and white. Wood floors with floor to ceiling windows. King bed with reading lamps, desk, lounging chair and small table. Best of all, a balcony that wrapped around. Although we were only on the 8th floor, the views were spectacular, and we enjoyed being out there, fresh air, sights and sounds. Incidentally, our nights were very quiet, we slept soundly, husband only heard thunder one night, but no other street/hotel noise. Check-in and out was done very efficiently, and the employees that we encountered were all very nice. The 3rd floor terrace/pool was beautiful, and husband enjoyed the running track and the half basketball court. It had almost a resort feel, and although we were excited to explore the city, we could just as easily have stayed in our room, watched the Olympics and sat out on the balcony. It's hard to find anything to complain about, but if we had to find something, it would be that a few chairs on the balcony would have been nice, and a bath mat for the slippery shower would be a good safety feature. Other than that, perfection. We found the location to be very convenient, we used public transportation, and bus stops were very near. We walked to several restaurants, and spent some time in the park as well. We hope to return, the sooner the better!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I am honored that you and your husband had such a great stay with us and that you enjoyed your room, balcony and the hotel amenities! I am sharing your comments with our team! We look forward to seeing you again soon; thanks again!

MONTREAL
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Recently opened in the beautiful Aqua building, the Radisson Blu is a great place to stay in the heart of Chicago.
Within walking distance of the Magnificent Mile and two blocks from Millenium Park.
We had a corner suite with amazing views of Lake Michigan and Millenium Park, plus the corner balcony with allowed us to enjoy the gret weather and views.
Large suite with wood floors, beautiful bathroom, nice decor and furnishing.
Beautiful lounge area on main floor. Great bar & restaurant. Nice pool and lounge areas outdoors.
Service was always prompt and professional. Chek-in & out was a breeze.
Would definitely come back to stay at the Radisson Blu!

Room Tip: Corner suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed your room and views! I have shared your comments with our team. We look forward to seeing you again soon; thanks again!