“Great stay some newer hotel issues still to be ironed out.”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #19 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great stay some newer hotel issues still to be ironed out.”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Loved the look and feel of this hotel. From the start everyone who worked here was extremely friendly. Some small issues with no soaps in the shower and items missing in the mini fridge but that was not enough to take away from the sleek newness of the hotel and the comfort of the room. And its the hubbys new favorite spot.

• Stayed December 2011
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I am very glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel! I also apologize for the issues that you mentioned. I am glad that we have the opportunity to correct these concerns so that we can really "wow" you on your next visit! Thanks again!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I was very impressed with this hotel, especially for being open less than a month. The building itself is an architectural wonder and the interior is beautiful to match. The lobby features a classic brick wall, contrasted by a modern fireplace wall. The front desk is unobtrusively set off to the side, and you almost don't see it when walking in.

I stayed in a "Naturally cool" room, which was very bright and well laid out. There was plenty of storage space. The mattress was very comfortable and the linens very soft and fresh. The bath featured separate tub and shower as well as dual flush toilet. My only complaints with the room were that the bathroom door was a slider and didn't seem to shut completely and that there is only one towel rack on the shower door and no hooks from which to hang towels.

The pool was a nice two lane lap pool. The whirlpool was very small, however. Even with the outdoor pool and whirlpool open during summer, I can see these areas being very crowded. Also, there were no towels in the pool area. We had to go up to the room to grab some and then this shorted us in the room after a shower. I mentioned this towel issue and they said they are working on a fix for the pool towels.

The are many Eco- conscious friendly features in the hotel, from the motion sensitive lights that to the dual flush toilet. Additionally, the hotel information is on the TV rather than printed out, saving reprints when some of the information changes.

Once this property gets over it's opening issues, it will be among the best in Chicago. The location with views of Navy Pier, Millennium Park and it's close proximity (2 blocks) from Michigan Avenue, make it a winner.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the "Natrurally Cool" design! I am also glad that you noticed some our eco-conscience elements! Thanks again for taking the time to leave us a review; we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

We spent a weekend in Chicago on a Groupon voucher. The location was excellent. Blu Aqua is less than a block from Millenium Park and the Chicago Art Institute. The room was immaculate and modern. It's really a beautiful building inside and out. Everything worked. No surprises on the bill. The Filini bar had excellent, Italian-inspired food and drink. There were minor issues. The shower can be susceptible to overflowing due to its design. The elevator bank marked as working seemed to change each day (the hotel's less than a month old). There seemed to be a limit of one wifi device per room. If you can't handle sirens, don't stay downtown because EVERY hotel I've ever stayed at in downtown Chicago is in the vicinity of a police station, fire station, or hospital. However, the stay was at least as pleasant as any other I've had at a good four-star hotel in Chicago.

1 Thank Colin L
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Thank you for the review; I am really glad that you enjoyed the building, location and service! I hope that you will return to the hotel again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I was intrigued by the exterior of this building since it's completion and really wanted to check out the (new to the U.S.) Radisson Blu brand. Overall, I had a very good experience. As other reviewers mentioned, there were a few "new hotel" miscues. Once these issues are resolved, this will be among the top hotels in Chicago.

The interiors are well done and while the room wasn't large, I didn't feel cramped. It is very well laid out and ergonomically friendly.

Some of the pros and cons mentioned below might be related to the hotel being part of a larger condo space and having shared amenities.

Pros:

-Comfortable bed and soft linens. Many pillow choices on bed

-Clean room

-Quiet building- was near elevator and ice machine but didn't hear either

-Bathroom is well designed with separate bath and large shower

-Friendly, un-obtrusive staff

-Great, accessible location. Easy walk to Michigan Avenue and very easy walk to Millenium Park

-Biggest fitness club I've ever seen- it's about 20 times larger than any hotel fitness room I've been in.

-Great outdoor space with large walking track

Cons:

-No towels at pool

-Indoor whirlpool is REALLY small and states a limit of 3 people. There is also an outdoor whirlpool near the outdoor pool which will be nice when it's warmer.

-Sliding door for bathroom didn't really close it off enough and sound traveled out of bathroom

-Not enough towels in room to compensate for having to use them in pool area

All in all, I recommend this hotel for it's cleanliness, friendly service and location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a high floor, with balcony
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would reccomend it to others! The fitness center is one of my favorite areas as well--it really offers people a large variety and quality workout. We are still adding some additional features including towels in the fitness area so hopefully some of your cons will soon disappear. I hope that your next visit is even more enjoyable!

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I travel to Chicago a couple of times a year on business and have stayed at many different hotels there. My favorite has always been the Park Hyatt, although I’ve only stayed there once, as I try to be somewhat budget conscious. My new favorite is the Radisson Blu, and the good news is that it’s a lot cheaper than the Park Hyatt.

Upon check-in, I was upgraded to a corner room with a balcony. The room was huge with beautiful hardwood floors and light wood furniture. The had a real Nordic minimalist design, which I really like. The bathroom was sleek and modern with a separate shower stall. As much as I always enjoy walking around Chicago, I would have been happy just staying in the room on this trip! An added bonus was that there was free Wi-Fi in the rooms. Other upscale hotels should take notice!

However there are too many diversions within the hotel to stay in your room. There’s a very sleek looking bar on the first floor that was pretty busy even on a weeknight. Upstairs from the bar is a modern Italian restaurant that has good food, and although I read poor reviews concerning their service, the night I was there it was pretty good.

To work off your big meal, there is a mini indoor basketball court; a tw0- lane indoor 25 yard lap pool, a real gym with lots of equipment (compared to most tiny hotel gyms), and in the summer an outdoor lap pool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hotel with such comprehensive fitness facilities. At this hotel the fitness facilities are even better than those at most Four Seasons Hotels, which are typically pretty good.

The location of the hotel is right up the street from Millennium Park and maybe a 6-minute walk to the Magnificent Mile. While I prefer the location of hotels that are just west of North Michigan Avenue, this location still pretty decent, and the hotel was so nice that it was worth the extra walk.

Note that not all of the rooms have balconies or hard wood floors. One of my work colleagues had a room that had very bright blue carpeting, which she wasn’t crazy about. So, if you want a certain type of room, you should request it.

Rates are really reasonable right now; I’m not sure if it is because the hotel is brand new. In any case, the price is right, at least for the time being—the Radisson Blu Aqua is not only a great hotel but a great value. To be honest, I was almost hesitant to write this review, because I’m afraid this place will become too popular!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
I can't thank you enough for your wonderful review! I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you have taken the time to pass on so many kind comments! As you mentioned, we do offer the two different room types so we can accomodate everyone's taste preferences. I am glad that you enjoyed the "Naturally Cool" design! It is a true compliment that you liked the hotel so much you didn't want to leave! Thanks again; we hope to see you again the next time you are in the city!

Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Recently we visited Chicago for a holiday shopping weekend and decided to stay at Radisson Blu at Aqua. The hotel is brand new.

We had a suite on the 16th floor that had a large sitting area, desk, king-sized bed and large, modern bathroom with a large tub and a separate large rain shower. The room also had a small balcony with a view of Millenial park one block away although it was too cold to go out on it during our visit.

The hotel also has a nice Italian restaurant, Felini that we enjoyed, and a great lobby bar with a pizza oven.

We enjoyed the location, just a short walk to all the holiday activities on State St and Michigan Ave. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you so much! I hope that you had a nice weekend in the city and were able to finish your shopping. I am also glad that you enjoyed your room, view and the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Nice Hotel but being that it is new they have some issues. Double charged me at regular price of the room for a trip I pre-paid through orbitz. Still haven't taken care of the billing issue.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank bbroke7
Dear bbroke 7,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am truly sorry if there was billing issues during your stay. I would like to correct this problem but need more information from you so I can access you guest folio. I sent you a private message yesterday with my contact information. Please feel free to call me anytime so that we can look into your concerns. Again I am truly sorry for any issues that occured during your stay.