“Good Sushi, Good Service”
Review of Ukai Sushi

Ukai Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Ukai Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,946 of 9,614 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Seminary
Transit: Close to Belmont Station.
Chicago, Illinois
“Good Sushi, Good Service”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I are huge fans of Ukai - it's great sushi at a good price; the service is great, and we've never had to wait more than a few minutes. The decor is great, and it's BYOB too.

Our favorites are:

Gomae, their award-winning spinach roll;
Sashimi Ume, great platter of sashimi;
Bears Roll, great spicy salmon roll.

We take our friends and family here whenever they come to town; everyone loves it!

• Visited July 2011

Chicago, Illinois
“Fabulous Sushi right off Belmont L”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I'm sorry Ukai! Yes, that was my husband moaning and groaning throughout his meal, and no, we didn't try and have a quickie at the table. That, was him enjoying some of the best sushi he's had in a very long time.

I was down the street finishing up a doctor appointment, and had my husband meet me at the Belmont El for dinner. Since they're BYOB (score!) we grabbed a bottle on the way, and walked in around 6. What an amazing room! I love the design with the modern feel, and the colors of orange and chocolate brown give it a nice cozy yet upscale vibe. We were the first people there, so got a great corner table for some decent people watching.

We love gomae, and their version states it won "Time Out Mag - Chicago's 100 best dishes of 2010". Well, sign me up. You HAVE to get this, it is seriously WTF delicious! Almost indescribable, and by the time we ate them, it dawned on me to take a picture. Whoopsy.

Next, we got the Sushi and Sashimi platter ($18) and the Vegetarian platter ($12).
You already know how the husband felt about the sushi - and I didn't eat any, so I can't really comment further other than to say it was a really quiet meal of no talking. He didn't want to interrupt the love affair he was having with the fish, and we're talkers, so enough said.

The vegetarian platter was probably the most creative dish I've ever had at a sushi restaurant. It comes with 5 pieces of nigiri, and crunchy gomae or veggie don. Based on the previous gomae experience, I wanted to try the roll. I'm glad I did. Perfection on the roll! And, wasn't sure what to expect with veggie nigiri, but was very pleased, looking like sushi, they instead use veggies on a bed of rice, got one each of kappa, cucumber, spinach, asparagus, and lastly avocado. Ingenious!

We will SO be back, oh, and by the time we were leaving the place was filling up, but service never faltered. Wait staff was all very sweet and attentive throughout. They are also on Open Table if that's your thing.

One of my new favorite places.

• Visited June 2011

Been to Ukai Sushi? Share your experiences!