“Carry Out Order”
Review of Rollapalooza

Rollapalooza
Reserve with OpenTable
Rollapalooza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,151 of 9,604 Restaurants in Chicago
Cross street: Roscoe St.
Naperville, IL
“Carry Out Order”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I normally dine-in at Rollapalooza but placed an order through grubhub since I wanted to pick the order up. The ordering process was obviously very easy through grubhub. The order was estimated to be done within 45 mins and it was ready prior to that. When I didn't pick up the order within 10 mins of receiving an alert from grubhub the restaurant called to inform me my order was ready and asked when I thought I would be picking it up. I thought this was very nice.

The rolls still tasted just as fresh as in the restaurant. The order consisted of a Spicy Salmon Roll, Black Monster, Mafia, AA Cream Cheese Roll, and AA salad. Again, everything tasted great and I will definitely carry-out again.

• Visited January 2014

Naperville, IL
“Always Great Sushi, Service, and BYOB”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I try and go to Rollapalooza once a month as it is one of my favorite sushi restaurants in Chicago. I haven't had a sushi roll I haven't liked and it's BYOB! This past visit we didn't have too many rolls but got the Spicy Tataki, which comes out flaming and is one of my favorite rolls, the Black Monster (my favorite roll) which has a spicy tuna on top, black rice, shrimp tempura inside with cream cheese and avacado. It comes with a sweeter sauce on the plate as well. The AA Cream Cheese Roll is a staple when I go there because it's a great veggie roll and helps cleanse the palate in between trying each roll. The Boston is really good as well.

The service is always quick and everyone is very friendly. I do recommend making a reservation as it does get busy around 6p and has steady traffic. I see a lot of people taking out too so that is another option.

• Visited November 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Good! Small place, byob”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great selection of rolls. Nice service, good value, decent atmosphere... nothing spectacular though. I was visiting and would go back if I lived there but not if I was a visitor looking for a fun unique sushi place.

• Visited August 2013
Peoria, Illinois
“A terrific place for great, fresh sushi!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I chose this place because it is right down the street from The Briar Street Theater and we wanted to eat after we saw "The Blue Man Group" there. Plus, I had read good reviews about it, so I made reservations.

We were there for 6 p.m. reservations and were the only ones there when we arrived. Not a good sign. BUT...when we got our food, we could not have cared less if the place had been jam-packed with juggling nuns and dancing bears! All that mattered was the food! It was delicious. Everything was fresh and well-prepared. The chef did not overwhelm the taste of the fish with too much wasabi, a common occurrence. A couple of the rolls we had were prepared with black rice which I highly recommend.

The service was excellent also. We had plenty of attention, but that could be because we were one of the only ones there. I don't what the service would be like if it was busy, but I imagine they would still take good care of you.

Another bonus is that you can bring your own alcohol without a corkage fee! This is a HUGE savings. We bought wine down the street at a nice little wine shop and they corked and poured for us. I don't know why they don't serve liquor. I'm sure the waiters hate this tipping opportunity, but to be fair, we tipped as if we had bought the liquor there. (Which takes me to a whole different rant--why should tip amount be based on the amount of your check? Does it take more effort to pour a $100 bottle of wine than it does to pour a $20 bottle of wine?? This doesn't make sense.)

Summary: Eat here. It won't be busy at 6 p.m. on a Saturday night. Make reservations regardless of when you go just to be safe. Order some items with black rice-it's delicious!

• Visited May 2013
“favorite sushi restaurant in the world (and I've been around...)”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I live in Europe and have spent time in cities all throughout Europe and the United States - this is by far my favorite sushi restaurant. Sushi 'purists' may scoff, but I love the unique, interesting, diverse, and weird rolls they have here. Everything is flavorful and fresh and you have such a wide selection to choose from. Service is friendly and to my knowledge it's still BYOB (with no corking fee) which is amazing. My favorite rolls are the... I think it's called the Spicy Tataki or something like that - it arrives to your table ON FIRE. The tuna just melts in your mouth, the tempura flakes have that satisfying crunch, the flavor is so good that soy sauce and wasabi is completely optional. Another great roll is the Turtle (which comes out arranged on the plate to look like a turtle.). I've been here 3 or 4 times now, and every time I go back to Chicago I make a beeline for Belmont to eat at Rollapalooza. I want to recommend this to everyone... but at the same time I don't want the restaurant to get too popular otherwise it will be impossible to get a table! :)

If you're early for your reservation or have to wait a bit to be seated, there's a tequila bar just a few steps north that is a good way to pass the time.

• Visited December 2012

Been to Rollapalooza? Share your experiences!